Author Topic: Flintlock May Send Man to Prison  (Read 4162 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Flintlock May Send Man to Prison
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
Well, this has got to suck. From the story, it appears to be a genuine flintlock from the 1700's and not a replica. I keep thinking CA gun laws are whack, but I reckon it's not just us.

Also, what is the purpose of the state running ballistics on the pistol?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/18/flintlock-from-1700s-could-land-elderly-nj-man-in-prison/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Flintlock May Send Man to Prison
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »
To exonerate Aaron Burr?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »
How do you even run ballistics on something that old?  Is the barrel even rifled?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »
Well, this has got to suck. From the story, it appears to be a genuine flintlock from the 1700's and not a replica. I keep thinking CA gun laws are whack, but I reckon it's not just us.

Also, what is the purpose of the state running ballistics on the pistol?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/18/flintlock-from-1700s-could-land-elderly-nj-man-in-prison/

California at least makes a distinction between modern and antique (pre-1899) firearms.  Apparently NJ does not.

If the poor guy does get convicted, let's pressure Gov. Christie to pardon him.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »
How do you even run ballistics on something that old?  Is the barrel even rifled?

Almost certainly not rifled, the ball would be patched, so even scuffs in the bore wouldn't transfer, and there's no cartridge case nor a firing pin to mark it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »
Almost certainly not rifled, the ball would be patched, so even scuffs in the bore wouldn't transfer, and there's no cartridge case nor a firing pin to mark it.

My point exactly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
We should all be reassured that GOP Gov. Christie is running New Jersey - and is a possible GOP candidate for POTUS.

He'll see proper justice done.

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
Hmmm. The man lived and retired in New Jersey, paid taxes to the state, has a pension from the state, voted in the state, he's in part responsible for  the  fascist laws in the sate that have snared many others and/or denied others rights that are common in other states.
I have zero sympathy.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »
Run ballistics on it?  Will the lab even know how to fire it?  Or are they just looking to fondle and damage a valuable antique?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
Hmmm. The man lived and retired in New Jersey, paid taxes to the state, has a pension from the state, voted in the state, he's in part responsible for  the  fascist laws in the sate that have snared many others and/or denied others rights that are common in other states.
I have zero sympathy.

I was sort of thinking the same, he is a retired teacher so very great likelihood he has been voting for NJ Dems all along. I could be wrong though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »

1. Did anyone else notice the byline?

2. What is 200+ year old antique pistol doing in a glove compartment?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »

Thomas Jefferson left it there when he sold the car?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 06:43:30 PM »

He said he had just bought it and was taking it home to add to his antiques collection.
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »
Run ballistics on it?  Will the lab even know how to fire it?  Or are they just looking to fondle and damage a valuable antique?

I'd guess that they're required to test every seized firearm.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
By federal law, it's not a firearm by definition.  Doesn't that preempt the NJ law?  Supremacy Clause, or something?
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
By federal law, it's not a firearm by definition.  Doesn't that preempt the NJ law?  Supremacy Clause, or something?
nope. They are enforcing a New Jersey law. New Jersey can define ananything they wat as a firearm.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »
So when an anti-gunner says the 2nd amendment only applies to guns that were common in the 1700s they don't actually mean that you should be allowed to own one?  Maybe it's an assault flintlock so it's more dangerous.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:39 AM »
Apparently he didn't get the "STFU" when talking to the police memo.... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
As I read the article, I was reminded of a situation I experienced a while back.  My wife was shopping for an antique desk, and I was along for the ride and to carry what she bought.  In one antique shop, they had a few firearms...flintlock and percussion cap.  I was looking and admiring, and talking with the guy working the case where the guns were displayed.  Long story short, he went on to tell me how he was opposed to private gun ownership, thought guns should be only available for hunting and target shooting at clubs where the guns would be stored in vaults and have GPS tracking in them so they couldn't be taken off the property, etc.  When I asked about the guns in the case, his response was something along the lines of "well, not these guns."  Got to wonder if this is another person who supports RKBA, only as far as his personal interests go...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »

Report I read said it was not.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
Given this is on a major news feed and pretty much all of the 3400+ comments were of the decidedly whiskey-tango-foxtrot variety, I'm guessing the department involved and more than a few policritters are getting an earful from a rightfully pissed off citizenry. Not to mention the godawful PR in the antiquities community of potentially destroying a nice piece of history.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:07:09 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »
Interesting that the undersheriff/deputy who made the original stop was going to let the guy go, but the sheriff is the one that made the call to be an ass.  Maybe time for a recall election on the sheriff.  At least one of his employees has a brain and integrity.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »
Given this is on a major news feed and pretty much all of the 3400+ comments were of the decidedly whiskey-tango-foxtrot variety, I'm guessing the department involved and more than a few policritters are getting an earful from a rightfully pissed off citizenry. Not to mention the godawful PR in the antiquities community of potentially destroying a nice piece of history.

Brad

Wonder how New Jersey law works.  Here in Ohio, firearms seized in a criminal investigation which results in a conviction are forfeit to the law enforcement agency for destruction, use by the agency, or sale to a licensed dealer if the firearm is deemed to have a sporting use.  At least here, odds are it would be sold and avoid a furnace...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
Wonder how New Jersey law works.  Here in Ohio, firearms seized in a criminal investigation which results in a conviction are forfeit to the law enforcement agency for destruction, use by the agency, or sale to a licensed dealer if the firearm is deemed to have a sporting use.  At least here, odds are it would be sold and avoid a furnace...
Wonder if the sheriff saw it and thought to himself "Gee, what a neat piece of history, I always wanted one of those. Hmmm . . . I wonder if . . . "
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
Wonder if the sheriff saw it and thought to himself "Gee, what a neat piece of history, I always wanted one of those. Hmmm . . . I wonder if . . . "

Sure that has happened before, maybe even here...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)