Author Topic: What happens when you leave a shipping container in the dryer too long?  (Read 1224 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
You get one of these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/739967162

Yes, I want one. Or two. Maybe three.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
It's cute -- but not $451.99 cute.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
First thing I thought of was "industrialized Tardis."

It actually looks kind of neat. With a secure lock, it would serve to keep curious little hands away from your guns, cameras, or anything else sensitive to breakage or misuse by young children. Despite it's formidable appearance, at only 90 lbs it's got to be pretty thin gauge metal, so I doubt it would delay forced entry by a genuine burglar for long.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Cute - I've been thinking of getting a Job Box instead of a larger, yet still inexpensive, safe...
Blog under construction

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
There is a double-door version:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acme-Furniture-Cargo-Rectangular-Wardrobe-with-Double-Door-Multiple-Colors/657671750

A review:

Non lockable cabinet - look else where...
This is a decorative piece, the latching mechanism is fake and cannot be used. The doors are held closed by magnets and this cannot be locked. I purchased as a gun cabinet, won't work well for this. Assembling it is a challenge, hinges very stiff. Half the price would match the quality.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
Seems like a lot for what is just a metal lock box.  The door is probably better than a lot of metal cabinets. 

I haven't looked at prices for cheap safes of that size.  Something tells me they aren't any cheaper. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
If you have a walk-in closet... Put an industrial bad neighborhood door on it. Opening in. Put a layer of liquid nails on the floor, and lay in a layer of chicken wire or rabbit wire. Lay durock on top of that. Repeat for the walls and ceiling. Put your safe in that, bolted down. It'll be a bear getting to it to start. Multiple layers with interlayers of wire/glue will make things even harder.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
Seems like a lot for what is just a metal lock box.  The door is probably better than a lot of metal cabinets. 

I haven't looked at prices for cheap safes of that size.  Something tells me they aren't any cheaper.

But it's not even a lock box. In fact, it's not even a latch box.

Better and cheaper: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-14-Gun-Security-Cabinet-Black/14707405

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
1) Don't have things like grinders where the tweakers can see them.

2) Make the "safe" disappear behind a bookshelf or something.

3) Or make it damn hard to get to.

One friend's gun room is two layers of concrete block, with plenty of rebar, and rebar laced between, with cement fill. The door is 1/2" plate, on hinges that he made himself. Concrete floor, concrete layered ceiling.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
1) Don't have things like grinders where the tweakers can see them.

2) Make the "safe" disappear behind a bookshelf or something.

3) Or make it damn hard to get to.

One friend's gun room is two layers of concrete block, with plenty of rebar, and rebar laced between, with cement fill. The door is 1/2" plate, on hinges that he made himself. Concrete floor, concrete layered ceiling.

So go through the windows then.  :P
I'm only partially kidding . People have a habit of Ft. Knoxing things while often forgetting something obvious. Like at work where they installed a door that would make Ft. Knox proud but did nothing about the drywall surrounding it that could be cut with a razor knife in seconds.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: What happens when you leave a shipping container in the dryer too long?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 09:38:03 AM »
Yeah, you can harden that drywall considerably...

Most doors/locks serve only to keep honest people honest...

When I was working on the Monsanto Chemical Group spinoff, my office door had a key that had all sorts of interesting angles on it. I understand that it was the next thing to pickproof - but nothing is really secure.
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 10:15:40 AM »
So go through the windows then.  :P
I'm only partially kidding . People have a habit of Ft. Knoxing things while often forgetting something obvious. Like at work where they installed a door that would make Ft. Knox proud but did nothing about the drywall surrounding it that could be cut with a razor knife in seconds.

Or installing a metric buttload of door jamb reinforcement on a door with a big honkin glass window in it.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 10:34:39 AM »
Or installing a metric buttload of door jamb reinforcement on a door with a big honkin glass window in it.

Don't get me started on that ...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »
But it's not even a lock box. In fact, it's not even a latch box.

Better and cheaper: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-14-Gun-Security-Cabinet-Black/14707405

I've got one of those. Since I got my "real" safe a few years ago it is now used to secure the second most valuable commodity at my house, toilet paper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 11:49:37 AM »
I've got one of those. Since I got my "real" safe a few years ago it is now used to secure the second most valuable commodity at my house, toilet paper.

On a related topic, yesterday I received and installed my wife's birthday gift: A Swash 1000 bidet toilet seat.  I figure I can sell tickets during the next TP shortage.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 11:49:50 AM »

You can get a real nice for the $ basic Winchester branded 26 gun (12 actual of course) safe from Tractor supply for $600.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 10:51:31 PM »

You can get a real nice for the $ basic Winchester branded 26 gun (12 actual of course) safe from Tractor supply for $600.
I agree.  I just haven't looked at pricing in a while.  Those cheaper safes don't have very thick sides, but neither does that container. 

I was thinking of getting a stack-on safe to stash a few guns at a separate location.  I haven't shopped the cheaper safes yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 10:29:24 AM »
I agree.  I just haven't looked at pricing in a while.  Those cheaper safes don't have very thick sides, but neither does that container. 

I was thinking of getting a stack-on safe to stash a few guns at a separate location.  I haven't shopped the cheaper safes yet.
There seems to be a tendency now to relabel what were formerly termed "gun safes" as "residential security cabinets." From what I've seen on line, professionals in the industry seem reluctant to call something a "safe" if the doors and walls are less than inch of steel - which for something the size of a typical refrigerator, means it's going to be seriously weighty. And it won't be cheap.

IMHO a "residential security cabinet" will stymie a casual smash-and-grab thief and many models will provide some fire protection for the contents, but a prepared and knowledgeable burglar can break into many "gun safes" in a shockingly short time - there are a number of youtube videos which illustrate this, here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RlwGkO0hxE&ab_channel=Baker%27sSafeandLock
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 01:02:21 PM »
I bought my "safe" from a safe dealer. A little better than twice the cost of a big box store lock box of similar capacity.
Fire rated for 90 minutes at 1680°F, better than twice the average big box store offerings. And, it was made in the USA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 01:40:29 PM »
I bought my "safe" from a safe dealer. A little better than twice the cost of a big box store lock box of similar capacity.
Fire rated for 90 minutes at 1680°F, better than twice the average big box store offerings. And, it was made in the USA.
I bought mine from a local manufacturer.  It was more expensive than a retail RSC but I feel like I got more for my money.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 01:58:30 PM »
It is my understanding that the most important thing for a safe is thick steel- the thicker the better.  A lot of "safes" can be broken into by a fire axe.

I was always interested in the Sturdy Safe brand for their emphasis on thick steel.  Much thicker than the Liberty Safes.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 02:43:15 PM »
I was always interested in the Sturdy Safe brand for their emphasis on thick steel.  Much thicker than the Liberty Safes.

Seem like really nice products, but at two or more times the price they're more than a little spendy. Also, I have issue with their reluctance to get an official UL fire rating which they claim is due to cost. I don't doubt getting the rating is expensive, but it you're gonna tout yourself as the best of the best, not wanting to have it officially documented seems... odd.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »
There seems to be a tendency now to relabel what were formerly termed "gun safes" as "residential security cabinets." From what I've seen on line, professionals in the industry seem reluctant to call something a "safe" if the doors and walls are less than inch of steel - which for something the size of a typical refrigerator, means it's going to be seriously weighty. And it won't be cheap.

IMHO a "residential security cabinet" will stymie a casual smash-and-grab thief and many models will provide some fire protection for the contents, but a prepared and knowledgeable burglar can break into many "gun safes" in a shockingly short time - there are a number of youtube videos which illustrate this, here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RlwGkO0hxE&ab_channel=Baker%27sSafeandLock
I have seen similar videos before.  My safe was from a local safe dealer (Superior brand).  It has a double seal system that might make it more difficult to get a pry bar into the door.  I think the sides are 10 or 11 gauge steel.  Better than most cheap safes at least.

I know a guy who used to make custom safes at one time, but I think his family is a Liberty dealer now.  I used to see them at gun shows occasionally.