Author Topic: Jury Duty......  (Read 3840 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Jury Duty......
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
I follow the instructions and call the night before.....

"All jurors from number 1 through 150 need to report at 9:30 tomorrow morning." 

I'm #18. 

Show up, get and read through the pamphlet, and at 9:45 they show the 5 minute movie "Jury Duty was Great !!  Better then Disney World !!" 

Don't get me wrong, I'm very civic minded.  I've served as an election judge, several times.  But I do think that professional jurors would be a much better system (and less disruptive to the economy), but I digress.

As soon as the movie finishes, they announce that they are antipating three trials needing jurors today, so listen up for your number because we have one needing jurors right now......  Yep, That's my number, and my chair isn't even warm yet.   So me and 40-50 of my newest, bestest friends head over and pack in like sardines by the doors.   

So in typical government fashion it's hurry up and wait as first the Juror Wrangler has us answer "Here" as she reads off the numbers.  Then the deputy does the same thing after leading us up three floors and lines us up against the wall outside the courtroom.  Then we wait..... and wait..... and wait some more, before we are finally allowed in. 

Oh goody, It's a Not-Fun criminal trial.   We get sworn in and then the Judge says it'll may take two-three days for jury selection and the trial will probably last 7-10 days, not including the deliberations.  :O

So they start by reading off 12 juror numbers.  Not in sequence or after hearing the judge question each person about their after quesitonaire any order I can determine other then "Throw them all up in air and then shuffle."  I'm in the peanut gallery with the rest of non-called.  It was weird, they divided the first 12 into groups of 6 and the State's Attorneys started asking the six in the front row questions.  "Can you sign a guilty verdict ?  Any moral or religous reasons why you couldn't serve as a juror, etc., etc, etc."  about 15 minutes per.  Then they go to the judge and dismiss 4. So the clerk reads off another 4 numbers.  The judge gives the same 20 minute speil and then asks them about the form.  "Do you know any attorneys or Judges ?"  "Have you been a Party to a lawsuit ?" " Know any Police officers ?"  "Ever Convicted of a Crime ?"  And everyone has to explain their answers.   Then the State's Attorney go through the same 4,000 questions with the four newbies..... Kick off 2 more, rinse and repeat.  Once the SA's are done, then the Defense attorneys start asking questions.  Kick off 2 more, rinse and repeat, kick off one more rinse and repeat.  Finally both SA's and defense are happy with the jurors So after hearing the same questions over and over for 7 hours, at the end of the first day we have 6 jurors.   Everyone who wasn't excused come back tomorrow at 9:00am.

Same process the next day although it does move faster as both attorney's ask fewer questions and finish with "You heard many of the questions asked both yesterday and today.  Are there any quesitons you would have answered differently ?"   Around 12:30 the clerk swears in the final 6.  Yeah, we're free, as I'm still in the peanut gallery with 18 non-called jurors !!   Umm, not so fast.....

We need two alternates...... Judge explains what alternates will do: Listen to whole trial and if none of the regular jurors have to be excused, we're done at the end of the trial.  No deliberations.

"Clerk could read off the next two numbers...... "

I've got a 2 in 18 chance of being called......

"Juror Number 138"

I've got a 1 in 18 chance of being called....I'm almost free !!!

"Juror Number 18"

Yep, I'm an alternate. 

Trial starts next Wednesday and is expected to last seven to ten days.....

Given the charges, I don't think jury nullification will be in play, but I'm off to the fija.org website to refresh my memory and learn more...... =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Jury Duty......
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
Dress up as the grim reaper if you need to go to court.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

Paging Barbara Adams...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
Thus far I have not been called for jury duty (except for once while in college - my parents called the court to explain I was out of the state studying; they told me about that a couple years later).  Ticks my wife of something aweful as she's been called at least 4 or 5 times and got selected for one them. 
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
Paging Barbara Adams...

???   ???   ???   ???

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
I don't think jury nullification will be in play

Yup-o.  They do not like that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:21:26 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BMacklem

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »
I have never been selected for duty in my 35 years of life, but I do know of an ironic twist to jury duty.
There's a guy at my company who wasn't a natural citzen, although he's lived here almost all of his life, he got his citizenship last year, and the very next day after he took his oath/pledge/whatever it's called, he got his summons for jury duty.

I don't know why, but I had to laugh.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:23 PM »

Nah, be subtle.  Wear a hangman noose tie.   :angel:

I'm surprised they didn't question you like all the selected jurors.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:01 PM »
One court nearby has switched to doing jury selections on one scheduled day for all trials that month.  Lessens the sitting around, allows selected jurors time to plan work and family schedules around the trial.  Actually, it's easier on all parties concerned.

Of course, one of the judges involved in implementing the new system just get elected to a higher court, so either it'll fall apart, or other courts will catch on that it was a *very* popular move.

It doesn't have to be a nightmare of wasted time. 

Too bad you're not in Ingham County....

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »
Barbara Adams

Wait a moment, isn't her communicator one of the ones from the episode where the Kitomer Accords did NOT take place, and the Klingon Empire is kicking Federation-butt all across the sector?

I've been had to report for jury duty but once in my life so far, many years ago.  Not picked though, luck of the draw I guess.  I do like the idea of dressing as the Grim Reaper.  I wonder if I can pull off a Jamaican accent to go with it....
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 02:29:49 AM »
  I do like the idea of dressing as the Grim Reaper.  I wonder if I can pull off a Jamaican accent to go with it....

Nahhh, I go with the wispy, ereathral "It was the salmon mousse." voice.........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk

But it wouldn't be appropriate for this trial.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
Nahhh, I go with the wispy, ereathral "It was the salmon mousse." voice.........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk

But it wouldn't be appropriate for this trial.....
This is better: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YLKpOoWJlxk

HAVE YOU BEEN NAUGHTY, OR HAVE YOU BEEN NICE? HO. HO. HO.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Teknoid

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »
I've served on a jury three times, and none of them were all that much fun. The worst was being an alternate on one for a murder trial. I got to sit through all the gory crap, and then had no input in the verdict. It's frustrating to see something that's obviously murder downgraded to manslaughter while you watch helplessly.

Another time I went through all the selection crap, only to see the perp change his plea to guilty after the first witness (he was caught red-handed). The other week was spent caching up on my reading. I like to read, but not for a week straight.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »
"Do you know any attorneys or Judges ?"

"Yes, but I'm not telling you how until I verify that the statute of limitations has run out."

Seriously; the last time I was called, the defense attorney was a guy I knew from high school.  We did a few things the BATFE stands against.  (usually several simultaneously)  Fortunately, his client pled guilty before it got to that point.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
I've got a 2 in 18 chance of being called......

"Juror Number 138"

I've got a 1 in 18 chance of being called....I'm almost free !!!

"Juror Number 18"

In strictly statistical terms that would have been a one in eighteen chance on the first selection and a one in seventeen change on the second.

Maybe they will cop a plea before then.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB