Author Topic: Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.  (Read 7892 times)

RaggedClaws

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 06:28:12 AM »
Artemis is a girl's name!  Sheesh.

JAlexander

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 06:41:59 AM »
Artemis is a girl's name!  Sheesh.
Yup.  On the other hand, if you're a huge Wild, Wild West fan, I guess it makes a certain sort of sense.  Not that I condone such silliness.

James

RaggedClaws

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 06:54:08 AM »
Oh, I didn't see that movie.  rolleyes

I just looked on imdb.com and apparently Kevin Kline's character name is "Artemus", not "Artemis".  The latter is the Greek version of the later Roman Diana, goddess of the hunt.  The former is a town in Kentucky.

Schuey2002

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 09:16:22 AM »
When I was young, I had a camp counselor whose name was Ronald McDonald.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 09:36:06 AM »
Admittedly I miss a lot, not watching movies or much popular TV, but what's weird about Artemis James Gordon?

RaggedClaws

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 10:27:59 AM »
It's weird because "Artemis" is a girl's name, it's the name of an ancient Greek goddess.  Poor guy.

In the Wild Wild West movie, there was a male character named Artemus (with a "u"), but he was named after a town in Kentucky (I think).

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 11:00:40 AM »
There was a news story a while back about some Red Wings fans with the last name of Arena naming their son Joe Louis.  Not a crappy name, though.

Sometimes I think people think of their kids more as pets than people.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

crt360

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 11:36:11 AM »
Wasn't Lynyrd Skynyrd's drummer a guy named Artemis Pyle?
For entertainment purposes only.

Strings

Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 07:42:59 PM »
Ok... so I spelled it wrong. Feel free to sue: my lawyer can beat yours up! Tongue

Correia

Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 01:01:29 PM »
I did actually know a kid named Lemonjello in Birmingham.  They pronounced it Limon Ju Lo.  Nice kid.  

I had a cow named Artemis.  

-Larry
www.fbmginc.com

dinosaur

Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 02:29:44 AM »
Old joke. I'm surprised no one posted it yet.

A man whose wife is pregnant with twins has to go out of town. He tells his not too bright brother (or BIL, take your pick) that he's trusting him to name the babies in his absence. He goes away and sure enough the lady has a girl and a boy. The man calls his brother and asks with misgivings what names he gave them. The bro says "Nothing to worry about, I named the girl Denise." The man is so relieved and asks so what did he name the boy. Danephew was the reply.Smiley

Iapetus

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2005, 11:22:55 AM »
Remember, there was a thread on THR a while back, where people were saying how they had named (or tried to name) their kids after guns...

I saw an interview or TV with a woman who's parents (Mr & Mrs Wild) hade named her "Rose", because they thought "Wild Rose" sounded sweet and romantic.

Unfortunately, when she grew up, she married a Mr Bull...

bobs1066

Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2005, 12:15:16 PM »
I was walking thru a bank one time & saw a desk nameplate for "Venus Diamond". No, there wasn't a brass pole on her desk.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2005, 06:03:29 PM »
Remember, there was a thread on THR a while back, where people were saying how they had named (or tried to name) their kids after guns...
Don't have a problem with parents that give their kids normal names, despite being named for something the parent likes (I know a Hunter), but names like Orangjelo?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Strings

Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2005, 11:04:32 PM »
I think it kinda goes to what's wrong with today's youth: instead of thinking of their kids as human beings, people are thinking of their kids as some sort of toy, or pet (at least, that's what some of the names imply)...

Jason

Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2005, 12:11:10 PM »
I know a guy named Peter Service! No joke!!

White Horseradish

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »
Quote from: RaggedClaws
It's weird because "Artemis" is a girl's name, it's the name of an ancient Greek goddess.  Poor guy.

In the Wild Wild West movie, there was a male character named Artemus (with a "u"), but he was named after a town in Kentucky (I think).
The proper male version of Artemis is Artemius. It's not very common, especially in the English-speaking world.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Stetson

• friends
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2005, 10:44:03 AM »

Bemidjiblade

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 04:02:16 AM »
WOW.

I mean, I was planning on naming my firstborn something Celtic, and I knew it would be wierd, but there's a huge difference between an ethnic name and a living pronouncement on parental stupidity or cruelty.

(anyone ever heard the old western song about a man named sue?)

And speaking of ethnic names... Aryan Justice *bug eyes*.  What's that supposed to be, and ethnic cleansing name?!?!  That's just horrible!  Someone please, please tell me that's a joke!

RaggedClaws

• friend
Worst.Baby.Name.Ever.
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 04:20:20 AM »
I personally can't stand it when people name their kids a somewhat ordinary name, but then spell it all funky in order to be "different" or "unique".  Ugh.

We already have our baby girl's name picked out, and the first name is a little weird I guess, but it is the correct spelling for a German word.  The middle name is perfectly normal, and we've been calling her by her initials, which works great.  I can't tell you her name until she's born, since we decided to keep it secret 'til then (end of August, she's due).