Author Topic: Anyone know a lot about 2 cycle engines??  (Read 2303 times)

DigMe

Anyone know a lot about 2 cycle engines??
« on: April 28, 2005, 06:21:28 PM »
So today I mowed the lawn.  I pulled out my Homelite gas weedeater and started it up with no problem and trimmed the front yard.  Then I mowed it and then I went to the backyard.  This time the weedeater was VERY hard to start.  It has three choke levels - A,B and C with A being the normal running setting.  The trimmer would start on B and barely run but completely die when I turned it to A.  When I was running it on B it was shooting out a little bit of white exhaust the whole time...more than usual but not real thick, just noticable.  

I know you're supposed to empty it of the gas/oil mix when you aren't going to use it for a while.  I didn't get around to doing that at the end of last season.  However, I used it to trim my whole yard a few weeks back and then used it for the front yard today with no problems.  It could be a factor though so I thought I should mention it.

Anyone have any ideas?

brad cook

crt360

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:37:15 PM »
Gas weedeaters can be a pain.  I'm far from being an expert on them, but I've kept a few running a long time (along with several dirt bikes and other 2-cycle engines).  Wild ass theory:  The old mix might have separated a little bit (and some of the gas may have evaporated) while sitting for a long time and after running it in the front yard the ratio could have changed to where there's too much oil in the remaining gas.  This could be the source of the smoke and maybe the need to run it on the B choke setting.  The too high oil ratio + half choke setting would make it barely run.

I'd check the spark plug (clean or replace, check the gap), put new pre-mix in, clean the air filter, and see how it runs.  If it still requires running with the choke on, I'd fiddle with the carb until I fixed it or made it worse (mumble a few choice words).  Check your manual to see what kind of adjustments it has and try to match the factory settings.  If it doesn't have a low adjustment, there may not be much you can easily do.  With a 2-cycle some light smoke here and there (slightly rich) is no big deal, in fact it's much better than running too lean (and it helps keep the mosquitoes away).  I currently use a Stihl that smokes a little, but it runs fine.

The little 2-cycles are very finicky and quick to let you know if the gas is old, dirty, mixed wrong, has water in it, etc.  Good luck.
For entertainment purposes only.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 01:54:34 AM »
I think crt360 might have your problem and solution.  Use stabilizer from now on too.  Home improvement centers and hardware stores have it.  Saves a lot of grief in the future.  Won't keep the gas from evaporating but it will keep it from going bad.

Greg

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 04:04:58 AM »
i would say the carb is gummed up with oil, or fuel hose. gas will eat up a rubber hose over time, when it runs through the carb strange things happen...

you could probally get away with taking the carb apart and hosing it out with some brake cleaner, but rebuilding it would be better...

BobCat

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 05:12:38 AM »
There is a diaphram (actually two) in the carburetor that acts as a fuel pump and "float bowl" - i.e. keeps the fuel pressure correct at the venturi.  A float carb will not work on an engine that has to run in odd positions, like an aerobatic airplane, chainsaw, or weedeater - hence the diaphram carb.

These diphrams get stiff with age, or limp with solvents, or holes in them, and the engine will only run on full choke.

Take the carb off, apart (over a towel to catch small parts as they fall out), and take the diaphrams and gasket to the mower supply to match up replacement parts.  Or write down the model number of the weedeater and buy a carb kit - more $ but still not much.

Purrrs,
BobCat

DigMe

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 05:41:54 AM »
Forgot to mention that I just bought this trimmer last season so it shouldn't be a problem involving age or something that happens over time.

brad cook

DigMe

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 05:43:03 AM »
Quote from: crt360
I'd check the spark plug (clean or replace, check the gap), put new pre-mix in, clean the air filter, and see how it runs.
I assume I should drain out the old oil/gas mix first?  

brad cook

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 07:09:36 AM »
Make sure you always shake up the fuel tank good before starting and running any 2stroke.
I have burned up several topends on dirtbikes from forgetting to shake it up before taking off.
It's very important to have a proper mixture...when they have been sitting for awhile the oil will separate, allowing you to burn a lean mixture.
So shake it up.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 09:50:31 AM »
when fiddling with the carb don't run the fuel/air mixture too lean or you'll be buying yourself a new weedeater.

Dump the old gas, put in fresh fuel/oil mix. Let it set over night, start it up and run it for a while. If it is still acting up take to Homelite service place.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 11:07:56 AM »
Quote from: DigMe
I assume I should drain out the old oil/gas mix first?
Yes.
For entertainment purposes only.

Jason

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 12:23:30 PM »
I myself run a Stihl. What I do every spring is dump any old gas that's left in the tank, then put in fresh gas/oil fuel.
That's pretty much it. I have run this trimmer every year for the last ten years, and have never had a problem. I haven't even changed the spark plug.

The only thing I hate about the Stihl is that is very heavy. I bought a little gas powered Weed Eater about 6 years ago for light trimming, and it's never run right. It's very hard to start, doesn't cut good, and it's easy to flood. In the last six years, it's maybe been run a total of three hours.

As was said above, change the gas/oil mix. You can check the spark plug, but I find they stay pretty clean. If you don't use up all your fuel before you put the trimmer in storage, use something like Stay-Bil.

Stay-Bil is good stuff, I use it in everything gas powered.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 03:44:12 PM »
I have a cheap weedwhacker also that is very difficult to start also. It never started without at least 30 pulls, and never ran right without 5 minutes of warmup time from day 1. Its a Ryobi that I paid about $75 for new.

My 2 stroke 25 hp mercury outboard has never failed to start on the first or second pull. I disconnect the gas and run it dry before every time I pull it out of the water, and dump any gas mix that has been left over the winter. I bought this motor as a part of a very well used boat. I've seen more Chrysler 2-stroke outboards at the docks where the owner tried in vain to get them them started than I can count.

How or whether a 2-stroke engine runs undoubtedly has a lot to do with its initial quality.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

DigMe

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 10:46:40 AM »
I drained the old gas out of the tank and put in a fresh gas mixture.  That worked great.  Thanks ya'll.

brad cook