Author Topic: Back surgery - lessons learned  (Read 3053 times)

Preacherman

Back surgery - lessons learned
« on: May 08, 2005, 08:43:01 PM »
Hi, folks.  As many of you know, I had spinal fusion surgery recently, and am slowly getting over it (although it looks as if there's some permanent nerve damage to deal with, which sucks... Sad ).  I've learned a lot in the more than a year since my injury, and I thought I'd share some of it here.  If any of you should suffer a back injury, I hope this will help you.

First, a brief background.  I injured my back (bulged disc between L5 and S1 vertebrae, right at the base of the spine) during training at the Federal prison where I work, in mid-February 2004.  Owing to bureaucratic inefficiency and some management problems at the prison, it took almost six months before the first surgery, a lumbar discectomy, was performed in July 2004.  This operation failed, but it took six months or so for the doctors to admit this and schedule another surgery.  They wanted to repeat the surgery that had failed, but would give no guarantee that this would succeed any better than the first operation.  I put my foot down and insisted that they do what was needed to resolve the problem, even if this meant a full-scale spinal fusion.  They did this on March 22nd.

The recovery from the first operation (lumbar discectomy - basically, trimming off the exposed areas of the disc where it bulges) was much, much quicker than from the fusion.  I wasn't able to really move my back with any freedom for six weeks or so.  The pain levels were also MUCH worse with the second operation.  Conclusion - don't do a fusion unless you absolutely have to!

The nerve pain I'm experiencing has been 24/7 since February 2004, and has not been fully relieved by either operation.  It looks as if the sciatic nerve in the left leg has been damaged by the constant pressure on it in the spine, caused by the bulged disc.  Therapists have told me that if I'd had an operation within the first two to three months, this would probably have removed the pressure early enough to limit the damage:  but because I had to wait almost six months, what with delays in Workers Compensation processing caused by my institution, the pressure continued for so long that it's likely damaged at least some of the fibers in that nerve.  I won't know for sure for some months yet, as recovery of damaged nerves is very slow, but some permanent pain is considered likely.  (If I can get the doctors to certify that the delay in the beginning caused the nerve damage, you can bet I'll be lodging a claim over that delay!).

Lessons learned:

1.  DO NOT take a back injury lightly.  See a doctor immediately, and get both X-ray and MRI examinations.  The latter will show up potential problems that the X-ray can miss.

2.  Ensure that you see some doctor who's competent in the field of back injuries.  There are many hidden factors that can impact you, and only someone who's trained and experienced in the field will know how to spot them (or check for them at all).  Don't trust this to a regular family doctor.

3.  Do anything and everything you can to avoid surgery, even if it's painful and time-consuming.  Therapy, exercise, bed rest, etc. can all help to prevent things getting worse.  If you push yourself to continue normal activities, you can stress the injury further, without realizing it, and this can mean having to undergo surgery that could otherwise have been avoided.

4.  A lot of back surgeries fail.  I suspect this is because doctors want to to as little invasive surgery there as possible, so they'd rather do a minimal operation and see if it succeeds before going on to something more complicated.  Unfortunately, this can mean that you'll be off work longer, and endure a lot more pain, than if they went ahead with a bigger procedure first.  Solution:  read up all you can about your particular injury or problem, and get a second opinion.  Talk to others who've had surgery for the same problem, and get their input.  I found my neighbor very helpful:  he's had three lumbar discectomies, in the same place as I had mine, and none of them have worked properly.  This helped me to make up my mind (when my first discectomy failed) to insist on a full-blown fusion, rather than fiddle around with a repeat discectomy.  Knowledge is your friend!

5.  Be prepared to be bored, frustrated, irritated, etc. by inactivity during your treatment.  You may find yourself climbing the walls due to the enforced inactivity.  Read, listen to music, watch TV/DVD's, etc., but don't let the frustration get to you.  (Pets are a big help!)

Hope this helps any of you unfortunate enough to suffer back injuries.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:56:09 PM »
Get well peter!

WildthehumangetwellcardAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 03:57:07 AM »
Peter,

Great post and advice.
  So true that one must take an active role in getting accessed correctly and early. One must stay involved and on top of everything

What about the Nerve Stimulator, anymore considerations since we last visited off line?

Steve

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 07:56:53 AM »
Get well, Preacherman!

Huge agreement on the MRI.  X-Rays are cheap(er) but they are limited in the amount of injury they can determine.  Many doctors are reluctant to order an MRI because of the expense.  Insist, if you feel the injury is bad enough, even if you have to pony up the deductible.

My story:  It is not back-related, but illustrates the need to stand firm with doctors.  I (unbeknownst to me) had been walking on a broken foot for a couple of months.  I thought it was an issue with my Achilles tendon and would just go away.  When it became clear that the pain was not going away, I finally consulted a doctor.  (Admittedly, I waited too long).  Several X-Rays were taken, none of them definitive.  Finally the doctor scheduled an MRI, but cautioned me that the results might take a few days.  I had the MRI done on Tuesday night (last procedure of the day).  I walked into work at 8:25 the next morning, and got a phone call from the doctor himself (not a nurse/tech) at 8:31 am.  

He started with:  Are you sitting down?  (Not a message one wants to hear from a doctor).  I have cleared my schedule this afternoon and you need to come in immediately.  (Also not a message one wants to hear).  The break had progressed to the point that, had I not caught it at that moment, Id be looking at surgery and some hardware in my foot.  Thanks to the MRI and some stubbornness, I healed up OK.  (Eight weeks on crutches and another six in a walking cast was not fun, but I am convinced that it was better than the alternative.)

Medical costs are expensive, but we need to be vigilant that we are not compromised by any cost-saving policies.  

Andrea
To the stars!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »
The deductale on an MRI is chicken feed in comparison to the cost of a chronic injury or misdiagnosed injury.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »
I hope you're mending well.

I've never known anyone who had successful back surgery, which is one of the main reasons I've decided to live with my own back troubles.

Best of success, eh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

kudu

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
Never underestimate the power of prayer.  Prayers sent Peter.  Hope it improves.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:03:58 PM »
Never underestimate the power of prayer.
Funny, considering you are telling that to the preacherman Wink

Get well, too bad you had to go through all the pain
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 09:17:04 AM »
I have been having hip joint pain since October.  It has gotten progressively worse since then.  I finally went to the doc about it in March because it was getting really bad (only after being on my feet for a little while and it subsides when I sit down--thank God) and I had to do something.  He sent me to a ortho doc with an X-ray which revealed nothing so the ortho ordered an MRI.  Had that done last Friday and my follow-up with the ortho is this Friday.  He says he thinks it might be avascular necrosis (which is what took Bo Jackson out of football and baseball) so I am not too happy about it.  Surgery is inevitable if it is, up to even a hip replacement.

Glad you are getting better Preach, hope everything works out in the end for you (and me too Wink )

Greg

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 01:44:02 PM »
Preacherman, I'm really sorry that you had to go through all that.

Anyone I've ever known who had back surgery has said to never have back surgery.

Sounds like you're the exception.

If it's any small consolation, many of those I know who've gone through surgery are now permanently disabled. If you're recovering, consider yourself lucky.

To some degree I know the pain you're feeling. Fortunately, my back doesn't require surgery...yet.

Are you able to get around and do things now, or are you still laid up? If you're laid up, have you talked to BluesBear about how to deal with boredom?

P95Carry

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 07:27:25 PM »
I just wish Peter - your whole problem had been better managed.  There is a sorta ''break point'' with back probs - mine is a constant source of trouble but - because I can still get along seemingly ''normally'' - (that's sometimes in question) - I would not entertain surgery - it is or should be, reserved for extreme cases.  Yours is one I place in such category!

I am still hopeful tho the nerve damage can over time recover further - the fact that the paraesthesia dimished as it did is IMO a good sign.

Speak to you soon my friend hopefully.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 10:56:06 AM »
Here's something that everyone should do for your back, my back pain is about a 2 now when it was around a 6:  Take Your Wallet OUT of Your Back Pocket!!!!!!!!!

And yes, get it checked ASAP, you can't do much without your back.

Wayne

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 11:42:29 AM »
So, this means no Judo practice for you then?

Take care, hope you heal up fast.  Maybe try yoga?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.