Author Topic: Minister ex-communicates members for not backing Bush  (Read 2845 times)

Derby FALs

• http://www.derbyfals.com/home.htm
Minister ex-communicates members for not backing Bush
« on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:34 AM »
http://newsobserver.com/news/ncwire_news/story/2378881p-8756854c.html

The Associated Press

WAYNESVILLE, N.C. -- The minister of a Haywood County Baptist church is telling members of his congregation that if they're Democrats, they either need to find another place of worship or support President Bush.
Already, the Reverend Chan Chandler has ex-communicated nine members of East Waynesville Baptist Church. Another 40 members have left in protest.

During last Sunday's sermon, he acknowledged that church members were upset because he named people, and he says he'll do it again because he has to according to the word of God.

Chandler could not be reached for comment today, but says his actions weren't politically motivated.

One former church member says Chandler told some of the members that if they didn't support George Bush, they needed to resign their positions and get out of the church, or go to the altar, repent and agree to vote for Bush.

A former church treasurer says she's at church to worship God and not the preacher.

(Russ Bowen, WLOS)
?Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.? - Thomas Jefferson

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:07:48 AM »
The Baptist Taliban is alive and well.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
What happened to the concept of the secret ballot?  

And, maybe not all of want to be overt political activists?  

And, MYOB?

And...And...

Sheesh...
To the stars!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 01:42:27 PM »
Quote from: stevelyn
The Baptist Taliban is alive and well.
Eight boys, killed because they laughed at soldiers. An entire family burned alive. And 100 Afghans, slain and hung from lamp posts to warn would-be defectors.

the Taliban captured Afghanistan's capital city of Kabul, castrated the country's president, and killed and tortured his brother,

massacre of 600 Uzbek villagers.

execution of scores of men and boys and the rape of women and girls

A 2001 massacre in Yakaolang, which included, according to Human Rights Watch, the executions of at least 170 men

CNN.com

Somehow, I doubt the Baptists, even in Waynesville, N.C. are hearly as bad as the Taliban.
Given how completely unbiased the mainstream media is, (especially towards evil right wing religious fundamentalists) I wonder if maybe they left out some pertinent details, or maybe embellished the with some of their own opinion.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 01:55:08 PM »
I'd be surprised if they don't get in some hot water with the IRS over that one.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 02:02:04 PM »
The free market applies to churches also.  The kicked out members will be welcomed somewhere.

The church will survive or maybe not with a preacher that attempts to micro-manage his flocks behavior.

Baptists are a independent bunch and its not unusual for churches to split over one issue or another.

To compare them (and me even though I haven't attended in years) to the Taliban says more about you than us.

I suppose all Muslims are terrorists also.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 06:07:41 PM »
Quote from: GoRon
The free market applies to churches also.  The kicked out members will be welcomed somewhere.
Uhm, indeed free market might start applying to this church.  By discriminating based on political party, they might lose their tax excemption status.   If they wanna kick out Dems, fine.  But they should do so and still expect govt special treatment?  Heh.

Call me cynical, but with the Republicans controlling all branches of govt, the IRS will not yank this church's tax excemption.   Yay, one party govt!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Chuck Jennings

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 09:36:37 PM »
From other stories I have read about this incident, there are a number of older members of the congregation that were not necessarily big Dem supporters they just didn't want that kind of political nonsense in a church they had worked hard to build.  

Also, one of the ousted members was the treasurer, who refused had pointed out the serious ramifications that political endorsements could have for their non-profit status.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 12:21:49 AM »
I would think that voting for Kerry would demonstrate the highest degree of faith-since there can be no rational reason to vote for the man.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 07:34:11 AM »
The priest in question has resigned.

I read an article on it, and noticed one quote about a member that resigned in protest.   "I'm not going to serve with the ungodly," an angry Misty Turner declared.   Obviously Misty must have flunked her Bible Study, as she needs to re-read Matthew 9:10-12, as well as Mark 2:15-17.   Wink

The whole debate started with Rev. Chandler's desire to turn East Waynesville Baptist Church into politically active church.   Which is fine with me.  If they want to be a political active church, they're likely going to run into problems with the IRS over their tax excemption.   Non-profit charity organizations are only allowed to do certain kinds of political activities.  No one is claiming they shouldn't be allowed to say whatever they wish to say.   They choose to limit themselves by applying for tax excemption status as a non-profit charity.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 08:16:15 AM »
IMO getting kicked out of a church is the best thing that could happen to someone  Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 04:29:54 PM »
Well, Pastor Chowderhead got his just reward.

If the IRS has a problem with him & his church's advocacy, I guess they'll have to get in line behind the thousands of black inner city churches the Dem candidates can be found in the months before election day.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 06:03:14 PM »
Not a "priest".  Protestants in general  do not call the guy up front talking "priest".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 09:53:39 PM »
Quote from: lee n. field
Not a "priest".  Protestants in general  do not call the guy up front talking "priest".
Ah, sorry.  I'm pagan, not Protestant.  Whatcha call the guy that leads the ritual?    Wink

Ron

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 04:00:09 AM »
Ah, sorry.  I'm pagan, not Protestant.  Whatcha call the guy that leads the ritual?
Wrong again my friend.smiley

Baptists don't perform "rituals" except for baptism which is a physical picture of the spiritual washing that occurs at salvation (trusting in Christ for salvation).Baptisms take place at the end of a service if the church has a baptismal.

And of course the Lords Supper which has no mystical power other than being a rememberance of Christs sacrifice. This is observed usually monthly or so.

The guy up front is called the paster or preacher and he delivers a sermon.

Like I said earlier,  the "market" would sort this out.  I am suprised at all the people calling for or expecting the IRS to get involved.

I guess the wall of seperation only works one way.

I don't understand why churches are required to be incorporated in the first place.

Seems to me that incorporating religious institutions and making special rules for them is exactly what the founders didn't want.

If you are a corperation you have to do what the government says,  your church is a creature of the government.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 06:28:36 PM »
Whatcha call the guy that leads the ritual?
A pastor or a minister, with a title of "Reverend", usually.  Conceptuallly, at least among Presbyterians (what I was raised as) he's a teaching elder, as distinct from a ruling elder.

Being a priest involves intercession bettween God and the people.  The emphasis in the bodies that seperated from the Roman Church during the Protestant Reformation has been on the unique priestly intercessory role of Jesus ("after the order of Melchizedek", ie. not from the official Jewish Aaronic priesthood.  See the New Testament letter to the Hebrews.).  

That's our take on it, anyway.  

The various Orthodox bodies, the Church of Rome, and Anglicans all refer to their guys as "priests".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.