Author Topic: Let's talk about TVs...LCD? Plasma? DLP?  (Read 1451 times)

Chris

Let's talk about TVs...LCD? Plasma? DLP?
« on: May 13, 2005, 09:30:01 AM »
Trying to do research on the internet in regards to consumer electronics leads to information saturation. Theres just too much to sift through.

So here are my basics: Im looking for something with an integrated HDTV tuner, not just HDTV ready. Most of the stations in my area (Cali Bay Area) are already or planning to soon start broadcasting in HiDef. So Id rather just plug and play.

Looking for at least a 42 screen.

Im not married to any particular brand name.

I love the picture on the LCDs but not the price.

The picture on the plasmas is a smokin close second to the LCDs but Ive heard that they have a limited life span AND Ive also heard theyve overcome that drawback. Which is correct?

And what about DLP sets? Theyre a quantum level better than my moms late 80s vintage projection set where you have to sit directly in front of it to see clearly- deviate off center by more than 30° and it fades out. They seem to have solved that problem. I like the price of the DLPs but I still like the picture of the plasmas better.

Integrated sound isnt a big deal for me as I have a pretty good surround receiver and 5.1 speaker set up.

Let me hear your opinions.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 11:57:15 AM »
My suggestion is to check over at avsforum.com for all things audio visual. Other than that, check into a front projector instead of a rear projection TV, espicially if you're goign to have a dedicataed area for this.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 06:39:48 PM »
Another place to check out is http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/  I've been lusting after the Panasonic plasma models for a while now, but really can't justify the purchase just yet (I have a 27" console CRT TV that works great).  42" would be SWEET, but is really too large for my intended area, so it will likely be a 37" model.

Two of my friends have access (one owns, the other's roommate owns) front projection DLP TVs.  In the right conditions (darkened room) they kick-ass, like your own personal cinema.  If there is too much ambient light, its not so great.

Another two friends have rear projection TVs, and those look VERY nice even in well lit rooms.  However, they are large, bulky things that dominate the room.  And I noted some odd drying effects on the eyes when I watched a video game on the displays.  But that may just be me.

If you can wait a few years, several manufactures are looking at Organic Light Emitting Diodes (OLED) for large screens.  These are supposed to negate the problems of LCDs where pixels go bad and lock on one color (very annoying to see a red dot in the middle of screen), as well as problems with burn in that older plasmas have.  Recent patents cover printable OLED displays, so conceivably the dispaly can be as large as the printing apparatus can handle.  Think "video wall" from the movie Total Recall. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 10:45:05 AM »
The plasmas have nice, bright colors but the picture isn't as sharp as a HD tube-based TVs.  I think DLP or the rear-projection LCD TVs offer the best bang for buck, still pretty slim with a great picture but much cheaper than LCD or plasma.  

brad cook