Author Topic: Can you help my son?  (Read 1733 times)

Can you help my son?
« on: May 14, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »
Can you help my son?

Classmate is a divorced single mom raising a boy. The daddy is in another state and wont be bothering them again for a good while. Let us just say she and the boy have endured a lot.

Before Grandpa passed this little boy would watch Grandpa and marvel at all his stuff someday this will be yours. Only problem his daddy stole it all and pawned it- it  seems.

So we went to Academy Sports, yikes, this stuff has gone up!  Its not like Grandpas  damn an 8 year old sure knows how to tug a heartstring.

I told his mom I couldnt and wouldnt buy what was on display. The Mitchell is made in China, and no longer resembles the ones of yesteryear. Zebco 33, the all time classic, not made in Tulsa anymore either. I showed him the Shimanos, one similar to a spinning reel I have had for 10 years&not now, maybe later, this is for my B-day and Grandpa and I share the same B-day date.  He would have to hang his head now wouldnt he?

Where are the red ones like that one?  

He wanted a Red Ambassador by Garcia.

We go to their house and he leaves only to return to show me some old Field & Stream magazines, my mind drifts back to the issues I have from 1955, the year I was born. Sure enough he shows me what Grandpa had; his eyes told me the stories.

Mom has monies from her dads estate, the boy has monies too  just he doesnt understand it all yet.

Can you help my son? It is not about the money it is about&
I know.

Can this be fixed, it was Grandpas. He had it in his room with his fishing stuff. A small metal electric fan, cloth covered cord was handed to me. Two sets of eyes asking for help.

I made a call to a buddy of mine that is the authorized repair service for most brand name reels, told him the story and what I needed. Let me see what I can do.

In the meantime I introduced the boy to the art of cane poles, braided line and all. Grandpa used to fish like this, this is harder than it looks. Kid was having fun, that was the main thing.

My buddy called and I called the mom, she met me and almost cried, through moist eyes she looked at the rods, reels and even some old lures, we took it all.

Two of the red Ambassadors, an extra spool for each; mounted on the old Shakespeare casting rods, new cork handles will season just fine.    Mitchell Spinning reel with the leather washers, on an old Pfluger rod. The Penn spinning reel of all metal, matching Penn rod. Zebco 33, with the matching rod. Metal tackle box, with new cork inserts for the trays, and the bottom, and some old wood top water lures. He had even found an Old Shrade fishing knife, a kid has to have one of those.

As pre- arranged, I would put this stuff in the spare bedroom while she took him for a haircut.

I just happened to pull in  *ahem* as they returned; he went into the spare bedroom, to put up a Fishing magazine he had bought, and to bring back out the old ones to show me again.

Mom!!

Well we were waiting for that yell of surprise. Sitting on the desk was Grandpas fan blowing a gentle breeze. The kid did not know what to look at first, he managed to handle it all, give mom a hug, whispering something, and then he hugged me.

So while mom sat in a patio chair I showed him how to use that Ambassador level wind, we also practiced removing birds nests. New terms like thumbing were learned that day too.

Mom went in to get me coffee; upon returning- she hugged me and said he wanted to know if was okay to give me a hug, being as I am a  guy and all back in the house earlier. Then mom asked, Why is there a bucket in my backyard?

Plop

Mom- I did it, and I didnt even birds nest.

thumbody

• friend
Can you help my son?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 03:38:09 AM »
sm,
 Check your keyboard, the more you type the more  blurred your post gets.

PS GREAT story
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

Happy Bob

• friend
Can you help my son?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 09:06:41 AM »
Aaahhhhhh...

Smiley
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Preacherman

Can you help my son?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »
What?  No goldfish in the bucket?

As always, Steve, a good story well told.  How can I arrange for you to adopt me?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

P95Carry

Can you help my son?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 01:37:31 PM »
Steve - what can I say - just thanks dude! Smiley
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

kudu

• friend
Can you help my son?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 02:29:48 PM »
Another good job Steve.

grampster

• friend
Can you help my son?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 03:11:08 PM »
Steve,
     Sometime I'll tell you the story about me and my dad, the Johnson Reel Company and one of their first closed bale spin cast reels.
      For now I'm gonna think about your story and remember my dad.  Good on ya, man.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

crt360

• friend
Can you help my son?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 06:16:33 PM »
Made me think about the times I used to go fishing on the Brazos with my grandpa.  You forgot the can of worms (with a string so you could carry it around your neck while wading in the river) . . . and taking a break in the shade along the bank to enjoy a bologna or ham sandwich and some Big Red.  I remember the noisy Mitchells and cheap glass rods . . . if I didn't get lead poisoning from all the split shot and dog-eared weights I bit on, I don't think any kid's gonna get it from chewing on paint.  The old red Ambassadeur reel was one of my favorites - don't care as much for the new fat rounded ones.  My dad and I still have a bunch of that old stuff.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that in a while.  Good job with the kid, too - he's lucky to have someone like you around.
For entertainment purposes only.

Can you help my son?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 06:54:20 PM »
Appreciate the kind words.

I recall my mentors teaching me stuff, I recall teaching my sibs how to fish. I was the eldest male in the family, the daddy was not around. I was the only sib to know a grandparent, my maternal grandma. So I borrowed other kid's Grandpas - they never seemed to mind. *wink*

" Mom - you wanna try my new reel?"

First cast - "Plop" into the bucket. Her son's  eyes are wide as saucers, mouth wide enought to catch all the flies in the county...

"Honey, you gotta remember your Grandpa was my dad, I was about your age when I learned all about Abu Garcia's, Mitchell's, Pfluger's and Penn's, some of that stuff "stolen" was mine too you know."  

I can't wait until the Loomis Blank is done, and the kids gets his custom 5 wt Fly rod finished. I betcha that Orvis reel matches up real well. Of couse the Shakepere Wonder Rod having new ferrules and cork fitted with a Martin 60 in 7 wt will be just the ticket for some popping bugs  for bass in a pond or two.

Gonna let the boy take all this in, then  Momma is show him some fly fishing stuff.  

Right now the boy is into fishing more than shooting his guns ( these thankfully were in a safe) - boy gotta a right to be boy , and remember Grandpa anyway he chooses.

Oh...the boy is practicing all his knots  , he and mom just tying and untying , telling stories when she was a little girl...

Balsa fishing lures do float in the bathtub, the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink...and last I heard there is one floating on Grandpa's desk, with his old metal fan blowing a gentle breeze next to  a fish bowl mom had as a little girl.

Mom says the grin on the face of her dad / Grandpa  in the pictures in that room are bit wider now for some reason *wink*

Always thought the Hills Brother coffee cans gave the worms better luck  than the Chase & Sandborn, or  Maryland Club cans did.  Then again some of my best fishing memories was done without ever having baited a hook.  *wink*

Folks know them clouds make animal shapes, the water mesmerizes you and all worries leave the mind  and  body - and if the  heron, egrets wanna fish...watch and learn.

No help needed on the memories and some skills, - mom has that - just finding the old stuff is .