Main Forums > Politics

To combat a "crisis in roadway deaths "

(1/9) > >>

WLJ:
All new cars starting in 2029 will be required to have auto braking systems

--- Quote ---The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is mandating all passenger vehicles to be kitted out with the brakes in a strive to save 362 lives per year, amid a 'crisis in roadway deaths'.

But the rule will also drive up prices, which NHTSA estimates to come at a total cost of $354 million per year in 2020 dollars, or $82 per vehicle.

The law comes into effect September 2029, giving auto makers more than five years to remodel any vehicles which aren't compliant with the requirements.
--- End quote ---

Will bet dollar to donuts that $82 will balloon to $500 or more by then

--- Quote ---We´re living through a crisis in roadway deaths,' Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said while speaking about the change. 'We need to do something about it.'

Although around 90 percent of new vehicles have the automatic braking standard now under a voluntary agreement with automakers, there are currently no performance requirements meaning some systems are less effective.

The new regulations set standards for vehicles to automatically stop and avoid hitting other vehicles or pedestrians, even at night.

Buttigieg, 42, said it will save 362 lives per year, prevent about 24,000 injuries and save billions in property damage.
--- End quote ---

Everything is a crisis to these people

Pump the brakes! US safety regulator announces HUGE change to all new cars and trucks
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13367113/new-cars-trucks-improve-brakes-safety.html

MechAg94:
Great.  Because some people won't pay attention while driving, we will put in more automated systems that will encourage people not to pay attention while driving. 

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: MechAg94 on April 30, 2024, 03:10:42 PM ---Great.  Because some people won't pay attention while driving, we will put in more automated systems that will encourage people not to pay attention while driving. 

--- End quote ---

This. Oh so very much this.

Brad

AZRedhawk44:
Who bought stock in Bosch and other ABS system manufacturers, and drafted this bill?

Ben:
I am perhaps confused. Are there now two kinds of ABS? The anti-skid one that I'm familiar with and have, and another one that apparently uses sensors to spot pedestrians, etc.?

The article says "90% of vehicles have ABS". Are they confusing the two? I was completely unaware that the latter type was standard on new cars, and certainly not to a "90% level". I had thought "smart sensors" like that were part of self-driving cars and other prototypes. I may have seen commercials at one point for maybe Volvo or someone, where the car backs out of the driveway with a blindspot and autostops before it hits a kid. But again, I thought that it was a not common option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version