Author Topic: Executive Order on Cryptocurrency  (Read 751 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Executive Order on Cryptocurrency
« on: March 08, 2022, 07:39:08 AM »
A new EO just came out to both study regulation of current crypto and to investigate starting a US cryptocurrency, the "digital dollar". I can't but wonder if this is another early step into a cashless society, and if that's something I will see before I die.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/white-house-review-cryptocurrencies
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Executive Order on Cryptocurrency
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 09:16:33 AM »
I was thinking the money in my bank account is largely digital already.  I just pull cash out as a way to carrying it.  They only thing I can think of would be the equivalent of credit chips on SciFi shows. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 09:22:43 AM »
I was thinking the money in my bank account is largely digital already.  I just pull cash out as a way to carrying it.  They only thing I can think of would be the equivalent of credit chips on SciFi shows.

I mean we have plastic cards that you can wave over a reader and it will transfer credits, or alternatively just wave your multipurpose pocket computer over the stores computer and it transfers credit.  How much more sci-fi do we need?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 09:25:23 AM »
I mean we have plastic cards that you can wave over a reader and it will transfer credits, or alternatively just wave your multipurpose pocket computer over the stores computer and it transfers credit.  How much more sci-fi do we need?
Implanted, GPS-enabled chips.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »
I guess I should clarify that in the OP I meant forced cashless, vs a choice between cashless tech and still using cash.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 10:08:08 AM »
I knew what you meant, Ben I was just commenting on the sci-fi credit comment.

But yes, I bet we go forced cashless for all legal transactions during your life.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 12:38:51 PM »
I guess I should clarify that in the OP I meant forced cashless, vs a choice between cashless tech and still using cash.

A coming worldwide cashless economy is a big part of your typical evangelical end times scenario.  Part of the "beast system".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 07:48:44 PM »
When I say "credit chips", I mean something you can carry that has value by itself.  Some sort of cash equivalence.  If the new "system" doesn't have cash, then unofficial equivalents will come into use whether that is precious metals or something else. 

It seems to me that the people in power always have plenty of backdoor deals and payments going under the table.  I don't think they will get rid of cash completely.  They might continue to try to put limits on it such as reporting deposits and/or punishing people who carry large amounts with civil asset forfeiture. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 07:54:26 PM »
I think the biggest thing with crypto currency is the Govt wants to make sure they get their taxes off the transactions and income.  And I am sure elements of the Govt want to be able to track it for intelligence and law enforcement purposes as well.  Freedom is a secondary concern. 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 08:26:38 PM »

Maybe a good old Soviet cyber attack on our financial institutions could change the thought of a cashless society when people realize they can’t get goods with a digit currency that’s unavailable.  If we meddle too much into the Ukraine fight we may just find out.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 12:38:30 AM »
I can't but wonder if this is another early step into a cashless society, and if that's something I will see before I die.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/white-house-review-cryptocurrencies

Judging by the way Biden and his accomplices are managing things, you should be cashless by this summer.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 12:46:42 AM »
One way or the other...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 07:47:46 PM »
I'm just gonna drop this here:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?