Author Topic: Obama administration says it wont trust any company's word anymore  (Read 3405 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Interesting.  Like it was said before, don't let a good catastrophe go to waste.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/15/administration-oil-spill-damage-claims-white-house-says/

Obama No Longer Trusting BP's Word on Its Offshore Oil Drilling, White House Says

President Obama will no longer trust the word of BP in determining whether its deep-water oil drilling is safe in other parts of the Gulf of Mexico, the White House said Tuesday.

"I don't think the president wants to take BP's word for it that everything is OK," Gibbs said in an interview with Fox News. "I don't think we can risk going forward on taking a company's word for it anymore."  :O

The U.S. government extended a moratorium on deep-water drilling in May by six months following an April 20 explosion at the Deepwater Horizon rig that killed 11 workers and unleashed millions of gallons of crude oil into the Gulf. BP currently has four other offshore oil drilling permits that were put on hold by Obama.

"We don't know what caused this accident," Gibbs said, adding, "I don't think the people of the Gulf, even those dependent upon those jobs, or the people of this country, believe that we ought to be letting BP go forward with the drilling process when we're still cleaning up the mess of the last time they tried to drill at a deep-water depth in the Gulf."

Obama will address the nation Tuesday night in his first televised speech from the Oval Office. Gibbs said his address on the "nation's worst environmental crisis" will lay out a strategy for containing the oil that's leaking and "cleaning up the beaches and the environment."

Obama also will lay out a framework "to make sure this type of accident never happens again" and explain "how we make the people of the Gulf whole again through the economic claims process," he added.

Gibbs said on Tuesday that the administration is ready to take over the handling of oil spill damage claims from BP if the British company doesn't set up an "independent entity" to do it.

Gibbs told CBS's "The Early Show" that the oil giant's claims processing work has been unsatisfactory. He noted that Obama "has the legal authority" to make the claims process independent. Gibbs also said "the best way to prevail upon BP is to take the claims process away from BP."

Gibbs pledged "that will happen. ... The president will either legally compel them or come to an agreement with BP to get out of the claims process, give that to an independent entity."

The news of the administration taking over the claims from BP comes as the company has been given permission to burn oil and gas. Authorities late yesterday gave the company approval to use a new technique, which involves pumping oil from the busted wellhead to a special ship on the surface. There, it will be burned off, rather than collected.

Gibbs said Obama also will outline steps to reduce U.S. dependence on foreign oil in his address Tuesday, including increased use of fuel-efficient cars and wind and solar technology.

"We have to continue to take those steps so that this president doesn't follow a long line of presidents that talk about breaking our dependance on foreign oil only to find that the amount of our dependence increases throughout their term," he told Fox News.

Meanwhile, the head of BP in America is telling Congress that despite the catastrophic oil spill, the U.S. cannot do without oil from the Gulf.

BP America chairman and president Lamar McKay told a House panel in prepared testimony Tuesday that America's economy, security and standard of living "significantly depend upon domestic oil and gas production." He said that companies have operated in the Gulf safely and reliably.

McKay warned that reducing energy production without consumption would shift jobs offshore -- and put millions of additional barrels onto tanker ships that travel across oceans.

Executives from other major oil companies also appeared before the House Energy and Commerce Committee Tuesday to defend their own drilling practices as Congress considers new government regulations.

Rex Tillerson, chief executive of Exxon Mobil Corp., told the panel that the Gulf oil spill wouldn't have happened if BP had properly designed its deep-water well, followed procedures, trained its employees and conducted adequate tests.

Still, some lawmakers, like Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., said BP is only one of several companies poorly equipped to handle a major oil spill.

"It could be said that BP is the one bad apple in the bunch," Stupak said in prepared testimony obtained by FoxNews.com. "But unfortunately, they appear to have plenty of company. Exxon and the other oil companies are just as unprepared to respond to a major oil spill in the Gulf as BP."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I especially like this comment: "He noted that Obama "has the legal authority" to make the claims process independent."  Doesn't BP have the authority to tell him to pound sand, heres' your 75 mill and throw the limits of liability clause approved by congress right back at him?  Or, am I mistaken? 

Under the law that established the reserve, called the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, the operators of the offshore rig face no more than $75 million in liability for the damages that might be claimed by individuals, companies or the government, although they are responsible for the cost of containing and cleaning up the spill.

The fund was set up by Congress in 1986 but not financed until after the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Alaska in 1989. In exchange for the limits on liability, the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 imposed a tax on oil companies, currently 8 cents for every barrel they produce in this country or import.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:08:59 PM by Lennyjoe »

longeyes

• friend
Re: Obama administration says it wont trust any company's word anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »
Obama doubts someone else's credibility?  The irony is delicious.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »
Oh, I've trusted Obama's credibility from day one. I've trusted that whatever he said was opposite of what he believed or intended to do.

I see he's falling back on his tried-and-true solution to problems, which is to give a speech. Will the spill end immediately after the speech, or will it take a few minutes?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »
we need to give him(THE GREAT O) a staff. then he can part the gulf sea, and we can stop the spill easily. [popcorn]

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
we need to give him(THE GREAT O) a staff. then he can part the gulf sea, and we can stop the spill easily.

=D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Wait wait wait wait.

Weren't there supposed to be scheduled government inspections of all deep-water oil rigs mandated by law long before this disaster?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »
Wait wait wait wait.

Weren't there supposed to be scheduled government inspections of all deep-water oil rigs mandated by law long before this disaster?

Tonight,Obama claimed that the oil companies were allowed to do their own inspections. Of course, that was in the middle of lying about other stuff, hence the "claimed". He expressed a great desire for more governmental regulation, too.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
Oh, I've trusted Obama's credibility from day one. I've trusted that whatever he said was opposite of what he believed or intended to do.

I see he's falling back on his tried-and-true solution to problems, which is to give a speech. Will the spill end immediately after the speech, or will it take a few minutes?

But But But He is giving his first speech from the oval office.   

We didn't get to see the speech, since our local CBS station has preempted the speech to cover some really nasty weather.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
The fund was set up by Congress in 1986 but not financed until after the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Alaska in 1989. In exchange for the limits on liability, the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 imposed a tax on oil companies, currently 8 cents for every barrel they produce in this country or import.

Wait.

So, let me get this straight.

Oil spill happens.  It impacts regular old folks.  Regular old folks, should they sue, can only attack the defendant for a total of 75 million in civil court... either the sum of all individual cases or the result of one large class action suit.

And in exchange for this, Uncle Sugar gets to pocket $0.08 for each barrel of oil imported.  Essentially paid for by the consumer, as all taxes end up being paid for by the consumer.

So, consumers pay the government to cap corporate liability in this matter, so that consumers in a region hit by an oil spill cannot collect damages against the oil spiller.

However, the government won't pay for the damages, even though they somehow justified the addition of a tax onto the resulting good.

Color me puzzled, but what then was the merit in the tax?   ???
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
You mean I missed Obama healing the Earth's crust with his words to watch a Jesse Stone movie?....

...Good for me....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 12:05:26 AM »
we need to give him(THE GREAT O) a staff. then he can part the gulf sea, and we can stop the spill easily. [popcorn]

You're confusing your M's. Moses vs. Messiah. The Great O would just wind up walking over the Gulf instead of parting it.  :laugh:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »
I can't find the story now. I've been bouncing around too much. But I think he was able to hire a new czar this week because of the spill.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:16 AM »
I can't find the story now. I've been bouncing around too much. But I think he was able to hire a new czar this week because of the spill.

jim

It appears it's a new collateral duty for SECNAV.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
Obama doubts someone else's credibility?  The irony is delicious.
Quoted for the Audacity of Truth!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »
You know, if you replaced all Obama administration references to corporations or companies with references to orcs, they would make a lot more sense.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
You know, if you replaced all Obama administration references to corporations or companies with references to orcs, they would make a lot more sense.

That's too funny...  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »

That's hilarious.

Although it makes me wish our government would replace the words corporations or companies with "foreign despots", but I know that's too much to ask.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »

That is funny. However, in The One's case, I think he'd be more likely to call them Hobbits's's's. ;) (he sort of looks the part) :angel:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »
That is funny. However, in The One's case, I think he'd be more likely to call them Hobbits's's's. ;) (he sort of looks the part) :angel:

Tricksy companiessss. They STOLE IT FROM US. Our precious legitimacy. Yes, our precious presidency. Nasty FILTHY Oil Companies, precious.... Tricksy! False! <golletmebeclearum> <uh> <er> <gollum>
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought