Author Topic: Pat Buchanan's take on what Sarah Palin is up to  (Read 2764 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Pat Buchanan's take on what Sarah Palin is up to
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »
Months ago I made a comment in a thread here that Sarah Palin was using here clout with the Tea Party movement to make herself a Republican power broker. So it was with some interest that I read this column by Pat Buchanan.

I don't always agree with Buchanan, but he sure makes a compelling case for Palin making some pretty shrewd moves to position herself for 2012. And she didn't even have to get breast implants to do it. ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Pat Buchanan's take on what Sarah Palin is up to
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »
I've been suspicious that she has been trying to ingratiate herself with RINO's and at the same time court the Tea Party.

There's no other way to explain the Libertarian/Paulian/Tea Party endorsements by her, coupled with her McCain endorsement and Branstad endorsement.

I still contend that a position that stands on Tea Party/Paulian/Libertarian principles, even if it loses the election but still garners at least 40% of the vote, is a victory over-all.

RINO's don't affect any sweeping policy shifts in our favor, and are simply sources of compromise even when they hold the high ground.

An angry, discontent 40% can hold up a monopolistic Congress, Senate and President.

She is not welcome in AZ, as far as I'm concerned.  Not that her people are likely to ask my permission... but as I progress down this Republican Precinct Committeeman thing and learn more about it, hopefully I can act as a pebble rather than a grain of sand.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Buchanan thinks she's being clever.  I think she's just good at picking winners, and is not as ideological (principled) as I would like her to be.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:05:56 AM »
I've maintained for a while now Palin is the means by which government issued republicans will co-opt the tea party movement.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
I've maintained for a while now Palin is the means by which government issued republicans will co-opt the tea party movement.

Given her treatment by much of the Republican party, I don't think she works for government-issued Republicans. I think she's been trying to carve out her own base, and has done a pretty good job for a newbie.

Is she lucky at picking winners? Don't know. Maybe she looks at polling data before taking sides. Or maybe her endorsement can pick up enough votes to bring a candidate up from behind.

Whichever it is, I think she's showing that she's not the bubblehead that many liberals believe her to be, and the above explains why they're afraid of her.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
They can co-opt whatever they want, but the problems aren't going away, and the NEXT "tea party movement" may be a lot more boisterous.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:00:55 AM »
I am not sure I would want Sarah Palin to be up for a 2012 presidential campaign. Not because I am critical of her, but because so many other people are.  As much as I know the truth, that she is intelligent, capable, honest, and care about liberty, I think the Left's smear campaign in 08 was just too effective.  I know of only 1 person outside of the internet who likes Sarah Palin.  Even others such as friends in the Army who are otherwise mostly conservative, have bought into the "Palin's an idiot" line.  I just don't see her being electable.  Her solidified image of being a moron, however untrue it is, plus her quitting the governorship are all too big of obstacles for her to have a real chance.

I think we're going to need someone mostly fresh.  Personally, I'm still holding out for Jindal or maybe Rand Paul in 12.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 05:39:49 AM »
It's interesting that Buchanan's accusing her of manipulating a group like the Tea Party to buy power in the GOP....esp. since Buchanan joined the Reform Party and destroyed it from within after it started pulling away votes from the GOP....

Pots and kettles.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
I am not sure I would want Sarah Palin to be up for a 2012 presidential campaign. Not because I am critical of her, but because so many other people are.  As much as I know the truth, that she is intelligent, capable, honest, and care about liberty, I think the Left's smear campaign in 08 was just too effective.  I know of only 1 person outside of the internet who likes Sarah Palin.  Even others such as friends in the Army who are otherwise mostly conservative, have bought into the "Palin's an idiot" line.  I just don't see her being electable.  Her solidified image of being a moron, however untrue it is, plus her quitting the governorship are all too big of obstacles for her to have a real chance.

I think we're going to need someone mostly fresh.  Personally, I'm still holding out for Jindal or maybe Rand Paul in 12.

Meh. They painted Reagan as a dumb B-movie actor. Senile. Clueless.

He convinced the voters otherwise and then brought down the evil empire.

I don't care how the left paints my preferred candidate- it's ALWAYS with the same brush.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
Unfortunately I was still a little kid when Reagan got elected so I'm not sure what public opinion was during his campaign.  But I'm not so much concerned with what the Left thinks about Palin, but what other Republicans think about her.  I know quite a few people who are otherwise conservative, though not quite as politically aware as the members of this forum, and most of them have fallen for the "Palin is an idiot" ploy.  I know the Left will always try to discredit whoever is running on our side.  But with Palin, it seems to have actually worked.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
I have seen some people who bought into the Palin-is-an-idiot line also on another site.  I don't understand it myself.  I think some people just can't handle politician who is not Ivy League and who is not a used car salesman.  I'd hate to think it was because she is a woman.

IMO, she can overcome that issue if she has a real message that voters want to hear like real measures for cutting spending and reducing taxes.  She will need to be prepared to answer her critics.  I think she will be better prepared for the national stage than she was the first though.

Personally, I thought she might be better off sitting out the next election and using her media presence to snipe at Obama.  Maybe she could angle to take over the RNC.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
Unfortunately I was still a little kid when Reagan got elected so I'm not sure what public opinion was during his campaign.  But I'm not so much concerned with what the Left thinks about Palin, but what other Republicans think about her.  I know quite a few people who are otherwise conservative, though not quite as politically aware as the members of this forum, and most of them have fallen for the "Palin is an idiot" ploy.  I know the Left will always try to discredit whoever is running on our side.  But with Palin, it seems to have actually worked.

The left was just as vicious with Reagan, and there were just as many doubts about his ability to overcome the caricature of him that had been created. When he campaigned, though, he connected with the people in a way that very few politicians can. Sarah Palin is one of those few who the public embraces as one of their own. Clinton had that ability as well.

2012 is an eternity in politics, so Palin may be much stronger by then or she may be gone. Obama could even be the most popular president in history by that point.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:29:19 AM »
Reagan was able to simply bypass the media and communicate directly with the American people.  Palin is the only politician I've seen since Reagan to do so.  I think at the heart of the matter that capability is what drives the main stream media nuts.  She renders their opinions irrelevant.

For the record, I think she is unelectable.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:58 PM »
There is much to like about Palin, but there is something about her popularity that reminds me too much of Obama's in its zealotry.  These are tough times that require clarity, maturity, and hard minds, not one more emotional high.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 06:00:14 AM »
Palin is NOT dumb or ditzy....

....and she is NOT the savior of the TEA Party...

....Palin IS a shrewd, opportunistic politician and often acts like one...and that is something that we should remind ourselves of often....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
I still contend that a position that stands on Tea Party/Paulian/Libertarian principles, even if it loses the election but still garners at least 40% of the vote, is a victory over-all.

RINO's don't affect any sweeping policy shifts in our favor, and are simply sources of compromise even when they hold the high ground.

An angry, discontent 40% can hold up a monopolistic Congress, Senate and President.

No offense, but you actually have to WIN ELECTIONS to influence policy.  40% will get you lip service at best...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:15 AM »
No offense, but you actually have to WIN ELECTIONS to influence policy.  40% will get you lip service at best...

That at least seems to hold true for the current administration.  See the health care controversy, for example. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife