Author Topic: Scanning software?  (Read 323 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Scanning software?
« on: December 13, 2022, 10:40:29 AM »
The recent electrical glitch fried my H-P laser multi-function printer/scanner/copier. I have replaced it with a Canon multi-function machine, which does all the same things. However ...

Canon's scanning software absolutely sucks compared to H-P's scanning software. Does anyone have any recommendations for freeware, universal scanner software that will work with Canon multi-function machines?

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Scanning software?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »
Irfanview
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 08:48:52 PM »
Irfanview

[BLINK]

I've used Irfanview for years, mostly for resizing JPEGs, and for light image manipulation. I never knew it could be used for scanning.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:54:32 PM »
Hmmm ...

Works well. Had no trouble finding the new Canon scanner. But I don't see any option to scan directly to PDF. If it can't do that, it's next to useless (for me).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 09:06:48 PM »
What do you mean by directly to pdf? I just scan and save as pdf. You can also batch scan to pdf.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 11:17:43 PM »
What do you mean by directly to pdf? I just scan and save as pdf. You can also batch scan to pdf.

That's what I mean. When I did a test scan, it didn't allow me to save as anything other than a JPEG.

[Edit] I see the problem. My test scan was a single page, so I had it set to scan a single image. If I switch to batch scan, it allows saving as a PDF.

Thanks, Ben -- I think that will do nicely. MUCH better than Canon's software.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 07:29:44 AM »
That's what I mean. When I did a test scan, it didn't allow me to save as anything other than a JPEG.

[Edit] I see the problem. My test scan was a single page, so I had it set to scan a single image. If I switch to batch scan, it allows saving as a PDF.

Thanks, Ben -- I think that will do nicely. MUCH better than Canon's software.

No problem. You might want to check your Irfanview install/version. For doing both single and batch scans, I have like a bajillion save options.