Author Topic: Dodge Ram vs Ford F-150  (Read 987 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dodge Ram vs Ford F-150
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »
I saw on the biz news this morning that apparently sales of the Dodge Ram are approaching those of the Ford F-150.

I found that of coincident interest because while I have always seen way more F-150s, and even Chevys, compared to Rams most everywhere I have ever lived or gone, in my part of Idaho, and the parts of Eastern Oregon that I frequent, I have found the opposite. Usually I have seen maybe a few Rams for every 30-40 F-150s. Around here it's just the opposite. I've been paying more attention since I noticed this, and there has been at least one instance where my F-150 was the only one in the Home Depot lot, surrounded by Dodges.

From the news, part of the appeal is apparently a sophisticated interior with tons of bells and whistles. If that's what your into for a truck, I can see it. The guy I bought my place from just bought a new 3/4 ton Ram, and the dash is absolutely state of the art. The touchscreen was ginormous.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting both from a sales perspective and from me seeing what I thought was an anomaly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Dodge Ram vs Ford F-150
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:31:14 AM »
I thought Ford did pretty good with the interior, but I have never driven a Ram.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
Coming soon to a used car lot near you, Rams, lots of Rams
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
I see more Chevy/GMC here with farmers, the Dodge, followed by Ford. In town, more Ford trucks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
Around here I seem to see more 1/2 ton Rams but when you move up into the 3/4 and 1 ton the Super Duty seems to be the seller. If I were buying new I would hard pressed to choose between a 1 ton Ram and a Super Duty, it would probably come down to towing capacity which I believe goes to the Ram. But after looking at the new 1 tons I decided to keep my 2008 Ford and have a roof over my head and food in my tummy. ;)

bob

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
2006-2008 era when I was last truck shopping I thought Ford had a definite advantage in terms of the interior trims.  I only wound up with a Dodge because it was such a smoking deal.  
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »
Anyway, I think I'm going to be double-hosed when I sell my F-150. Besides the Dodge love around here, my F-150 is only two wheel drive (with an e-locker), and perusing the Ford dealer websites around here, not a single one of them has two wheel drive trucks in inventory. And this isn't even the snowy part of Idaho. I'll likely take a big hit on both the brand and the driveline. Grrr.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »
Anyway, I think I'm going to be double-hosed when I sell my F-150. Besides the Dodge love around here, my F-150 is only two wheel drive (with an e-locker), and perusing the Ford dealer websites around here, not a single one of them has two wheel drive trucks in inventory. And this isn't even the snowy part of Idaho. I'll likely take a big hit on both the brand and the driveline. Grrr.

They've got everyone convinced now that you need 4 wheel drive on everything.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »
They've got everyone convinced now that you need 4 wheel drive on everything.

Because you can stop on a dime in ice!  :laugh:

I will say that I kind of regret not getting 4WD considering where I moved only because of the Ford 4WD system. I forget the names of the different kinds of 4WD, but I guess the Fords have the one which basically gives you two 4WD high settings - one that's kinda like AWD so you can set it and basically be in fulltime 4WD regardless of wet/dry conditions, and then also "traditional" 4WD high.

My 4Runner only lets me be in 4WD in adverse conditions, which kinda sucks if you're going to the grocery store or whatever and might have gravel/ice/dry pavement/ice, etc. The 4th gens had the Ford type system, but for some reason Toyota went back to the system I have for the 5th gens with 4WD high and low, and don't drive on dry pavement where the wheels can't slip.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »

You's a country boy now. Ya needs some for wheel drive. Ser'sly.

It's not so bad. Amortized over time, the $$ is relatively modest compared to not having to dig yourself out of the mud every time it rains or snows.

Also, you mention the dual 4wd settings in a later post. The 4WD/AWD option isn't available until you get into the higher-tier models (at least in previous years. No idea on current models). I stay away from those like the plague. Too many foofy doodads (read: expensive) to fail, especially considering how long I tend to keep vehicles. My go-to trim level for Ford trucks is XLT. All the most common outfittings but one level shy of the more upscale and unnecessary luxo items. Just yesterday I saw at least seven or eight extremely well outfitted XLTs with $54-$55k stickers being advertised at $39-$41k and can likely be had several thou less than that if you're a solid buyer. Ford is also offering 0% 7yr financing if you choose from dealer stock. If you don't need the options I'm looking for then it's pretty easy to drive advertised prices down into the $20s for a very well optioned new-but-unsold previous model year truck. Dropping from SuperCrew to standard cab is an instant $4k savings.

For reference against the numbers above, I'm currently looking at new, unsold 2018 models. More than you would expect to choose from around here. Must-haves are SuperCrew, 4WD, V8, trailer tow package, nav, and at least 3.55 gearing (3.73 is much preferred but very few get ordered that way for dealer stock). Preferred options are integrated trailer brake, tailgate step, and 36 gallon tank. Aesthetically I very much like the XLT Sport Appearance Package but can live without it to avoid the $2k hickey.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »
I own a 2016 ram. The 8 speed ZF transmissions have solved a major gripe for Dodge and the overall quality is up. My Ram was about 10k cheaper than the equal F-150 too.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
You's a country boy now. Ya needs some for wheel drive. Ser'sly.

It's not so bad. Amortized over time, the $$ is relatively modest compared to not having to dig yourself out of the mud every time it rains or snows.

:laugh:

The F-150 is on the 5 year depreciation plan. I was previously deducting it from my rentals, but now moved it over to the farm. So though I usually keep vehicles a long time, the tax laws actually make it beneficial for me to sell a business vehicle every five years and start over again. Thus any local hit due to unpopularity of the model won't be too big of a hit. I'd have to run the numbers, but  I think I lose the tax advantage if I were to sell it before the five years, and I'll be at three years next month. So two more to go where it will sit in the garage on nasty days in favor of the 4Runner. :)

Were it not for the depreciation, I was seriously thinking of doing a trade while still in CA. The trade in the local dealership there offered me was not much less than I paid for the thing (XLT), and I could have jumped into a 4WD XLT for maybe three grand on the delta given all the incentives.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »
Don't buy a RAM if you live where they use salt on the roads. Dunno why Dodge can't figure out how to keep road salt out from between the rear inner and outer sheet metal, but they're ALL badly rusted out over the wheelwells withiin about two years. Chevy and Ford don't seem to have this problem.

A few years ago the parents of a friend bought a RAM to tow a 5th wheel travel trailer. Halfway through the first camping season they traded the RAM in on a Ford. The RAM didn't have nearly enough carrying capacity and couldn't be beefed up to match what was available off the showroom floor from Ford.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »

2wd full size is a no resell market here too. Between the snow, frost boils on gravel roads in the spring and sketchy boat ramps, if you needing to commute to work any distance outside of town or off major highways or enjoy outdoor activities, you'll need 4wd at least a few times a year.

Might be worth your while to buy a new 4wd truck in a place like Texas, because you may get a better trade in deal on your 2wd truck in a place where snow/mud isn't much of an issue.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
my F-150 is only two wheel drive (with an e-locker),

They still make 2WD trucks, why that is about as useful as a 2WD Jeep. ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
Might be worth your while to buy a new 4wd truck in a place like Texas, because you may get a better trade in deal on your 2wd truck in a place where snow/mud isn't much of an issue.

That's actually a good idea. I don't know how title and license plate transfer work if you do that new from the dealership, but even if I was paying double registration, it could end up saving some dough. I wonder what the Oregon market is like on the coast, since they have no sales tax? In CA, I bought my truck in farm country, and even there it was easily 50/50 on 2WD vs 4WD inventory on the dealer lot.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 05:26:10 PM »
That's actually a good idea. I don't know how title and license plate transfer work if you do that new from the dealership, but even if I was paying double registration, it could end up saving some dough. I wonder what the Oregon market is like on the coast, since they have no sales tax? In CA, I bought my truck in farm country, and even there it was easily 50/50 on 2WD vs 4WD inventory on the dealer lot.

You won't pay double registration and you should only be paying sales tax to state you are going to register your vehicle in.

Growing up in on the Iowa, Illinios border and Missouri being 35 miles away, I bought a few vehicles out of state because the private seller or dealer had a better deal than in my hometown. I would just bring the IL or MO signed title to my county courthouse and the transefered it and I paid taxes/registration fees then.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
When I'm ready to buy my next used truck, I'm really leaning towards flying to Texas and buying there and driving home. Depressed farm economy has really got truck prices high and really tight selection, farmers aren't buying new trucks because they don't have the extra income to tax out on a farm vehicle purchase.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »
You won't pay double registration and you should only be paying sales tax to state you are going to register your vehicle in.

Ah, good to know. So I could even do a trade at the dealership where I bought mine if I were down in CA visiting my dad and they had a good deal.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
They still make 2WD trucks, why that is about as useful as a 2WD Jeep. ;)

bob

I think that 2WD trucks are for those towing, where the tongue on the trailer puts enough weight on the back that 4WD won't help.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
I thought Ford did pretty good with the interior, but I have never driven a Ram.

When I was last truck shopping (2013) the car lot I eventually bought from had 2 very similarly equipped used trucks to look at. A 2011 Ram 1500 4X4 and a 2011 F150 4X4. The price was only a few hundred different, only a couple thousand miles difference on the odometer, both over 100K, both rode and drove fine.
It came down to personal esthetics, The Ford interior just kind of left me cold.
I ended up buying the Ram 1500. 5-1/2 years later it has given me no problems and is getting real close to 200K miles now.
I'm not much of a brand snob, next truck I buy might be a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, hell, I might even consider some of them furrin rigs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams