Author Topic: Men's fashion--time to stop!  (Read 9983 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Men's fashion--time to stop!
« on: August 17, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
I cannot stand it anymore--baseball hats, shorts, sandals, beer guts and goatees.  It must stop.  What's more today IN COURT I see tank tops with with cut off shorts and flip flops (men in flip flops) and stocking caps!  Stocking caps, it's 90 degrees with 97.9% humidity and Jared is wearing a stocking cap?

Short of beating people with baseball bats, how do we stop this madness?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:31:16 AM »
I thought judges booted people from court when they dressed like that (assuming non-incarerated folks who got to choose that morning's attire).

Chris

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 03:46:02 AM »
Ain't life in a college town grand El T? Cheesy

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 04:14:50 AM »
The time I went to court to piss and moan about a traffic ticket, people were wearing baggy pants, T-shits and baseball caps.  I and one lawyer-client pair were the only people who actually dressed, you know, for court.  I didn't exactly get off, but I got everything I wanted and that I figured was possible.  Think making myself somewhat presentable had something to do with it?   Wink

Edit: fixed a sentence

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 04:20:22 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
I cannot stand it anymore--baseball hats, shorts, sandals, beer guts and goatees.
Don't foget pony tail!

I resemble that comment, but if I had to go to court I would wear one of my suits. When I attend a wedding, funeral, banquet I dress appropriately. My job on the other had I can pretty much wear whatever I want alongs as I have a shirt and shoes on, so I am usually in t-shirts and shorts.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 04:55:08 AM »
Agreed...

I thought judges had the wherewithall to demand proper attire in the courtroom as well. Maybe they're afraid of offending the jurors or (gasp) the defendant.

I'm sure someone can find a suitable orange jumpsuit as a 'temporarily acceptable uniform'.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 05:19:25 AM »
True.  The only time that I had to go to court (for trespassing but we didn't know, swear Cheesy (we copped to "we didn't see the sign" and we were just sitting there) I wore my dress blues (as did the others).

But, if I had to goto court, my suit and ties would be dusted off.

And I third the :confused: on the judge allowing this type of attire (the shorts, flip-flops, etc..).

Wayne

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 05:29:39 AM »
No, it's just another sign of...

ENDTIMES!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 06:01:26 AM »
I know people can dress as they wish, but when you see photos of my city, say 1915 (used to have one from that year hanging in my office of downton Lafayette), men had on coats and ties and wore hats and shoes that took a shine as they walked to the office or lined up for the street car.  Now, it's like people have just gotten out of bed or are competitors in the Special Olympics (can I meet the team?) and are not only going out in public like this but going to places where they need to make a first impression.

Chris, yes, some do, but the misdemeanor courts are really bad.  Some make them turn their shirts inside out if they have on something offensive like a pot leaf or a Confederate flag.

Gar, I WISH it were only college students.  At least the boys at Purdue, St. Joseph, Wabash or Depauw wear ties most of the time.

char, if only more did like you.

Mike, darn those end times!!!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 07:12:11 AM »
Women's fashion is even worse.  I refuse to purchase clothes until this stupid frilly ill-fitting shirt and low-riding, wide leg pants phase is over.

Honey, you have WAY too much of it, so please stop flaunting it.  I have no desire to see your tattoo on the small of your back or your over-stressed thong either.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 07:39:58 AM »
Cats, you mean the "biscuit bellies" shuffling around in their flip-flops (women who eat really well but choose to wear those clothes).  Yes, those "girls" need to be in running shoes and a TurboKick class.  That look is for a very small segment of the American female population.  Works in places like Israel or Europe, not so well in the States!

As P.J. O'Rourke says, I just wish people who learn when to cover up and when to reveal!  Wish they would learn to operate soap and water and razors as well, but that's just me.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »
Honey, you have WAY too much of it, so please stop flaunting it.  I have no desire to see your tattoo on the small of your back or your over-stressed thong either.
Amen to that!
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:21:14 AM »
Wish they would learn to operate soap and water and razors as well, but that's just me.
Ok, maybe some guys are like me and its downright painful to shave everyday. I do shower everyday though.

Every man should have in their closent and this will cover any event you go to except for after six/black tie affairs and that is why they have tuxedo rental places.

1 wool suit navy blue or grey (navy is more timeless) two button, normal/buisness lapels
1 wool sport coat
2 pairs of wool/cotton trousers that are different colors but match the sport coat
2 pairs of cotton docker type pants, one in kakhi and other navy
1 pair of black dress shoes shined
1 pair of brown dress shoes shined
1 black leather dress belt
1 brown leather dress belt
1 long sleaved cotton white shirt
1 long sleaved cotton light blue shirt
1 or 2 other shirts that match suit and or sport coat/trousers combo
2-3 silk or polyester ties that match the suit or sports coat

please don't wear a black rubber banded atheltic watch with dressier clothes.  (my pet peave)

I know people can dress as they wish, but when you see photos of my city, say 1915 (used to have one from that year hanging in my office of downton Lafayette), men had on coats and ties and wore hats and shoes that took a shine as they walked to the office or lined up for the street car. .
Times were different, many men were shop keepers. Shopkeepers and proprietors wore a suit during those time. When the 1920's came around there was a big fashion change and that ended a lot of the men who wore suits everyday and big dresses with petticoats for the ladies. What you don't see are pictures of the men and women who worked in the labor factories and they didn't wear suits to work there. Look at today, Walmart has replaced all the local department stores and who can affored a suit on minumum wage?

Another side note, when is the last time you saw a men's only clothing store in a mall? The ones I go to are usually in a small shopping area or a stand alone store on a busy street.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 08:40:33 AM »
charby, you're right.  There's facial hair that is well groomed and then there's the ratty filth that I see.  It looks like dirt smeared on their faces.  Does everyone have to have the goatee?  When did it become hip to look like a Civil War general?  I say, I say.

Living in Northern Indiana I know a beard has defensive advantages especially in January and February if you are working construction or walking the iron.  Couple times last winter I was out skiing and I begged Vishnu for a beard right away.

How about this:  it is resolved that if you have one, take care of it and think about how others might see it, inlcudes beards or biscuit bellies.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 09:48:01 AM »
please don't wear a black rubber banded atheltic watch with dressier clothes.
1945 (or is it 1949) Lord Elgin with leather band.  18K gold.  

But if I was going to court (hopefully just to plead down a fine, nothing major) I would wear my "working man's" 1954 Gruen Cheesy.

Wayne

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 09:59:07 AM »
El T,
I agree.  I am gagged by the tuna that wear those colored tights with a man's shirt hanging out.  Trouble is the belly and the behind use up most of the shirt material leaving the resulting apocalyptical vision.

I've got many picks of my grandfather taken in the '30's and early '40's.  The family used to camp on the beaches of Lake Michigan and in the woods of northern Michigan.  Yet every picture, there he was in a suit, vest and tie.  Many times with his fedora on as well.  Sometimes he was sans coat, and his shirtsleeves were rolled, but he had a vest and tie.  The man had style.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 11:05:31 AM »
And take your @#$%^&*@ing hat off inside the building!

LawDog

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 12:07:21 PM »
I declined to hire a surprisingly large number of people over the years who declined to dress up for job interviews.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 01:44:02 PM »
Good lord, I've got enough going on to worry about whether my ratty old sandles are going to offend someone's sensibilities.

If I have to attend an event that requires dressing, I dress. For work, I put on presentable, if frumpy, clothing, and shoes whose wearing doesn't mimic a high wire act.

Running around town from Kroger to the car wash? Bah. I'm there to get something done, not make the fashion police happy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 02:12:49 PM »
Barbara, unless you're a man, this is not aimed at you.

It's not fashion we're discussing here, it's basic presentability.  That and wearing shoes that are fit for more than showering or a day at the beach.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 02:14:20 PM »
El Tejon, I went to my first divorce hearing in May. I wore a Penney's blazer, dress slacks, a white shirt and a tie, an 8 dollar haircut, and carried a 12 dollar wal-mart expandable file case - No rolex, no florsheims, no Gucci briefcase - and the bailiff at the door who was searching bags tried to wave me through without checking my case, he said "You're an attorney aren't you?" Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »
Eh, well, pardon me and my ovaries.

But dang..for people who claim to care about liberty, we certainly do care an awful lot about others' business.

I dress when I have to. Hell, I even wear nylons if its for a good cause. But the idea that I owe someone a certain pair of shoes to buy bread or make a bank deposit in is beyond me.

And quite frankly, I'm a bit too busy to worry about whether my nails are neatly manicured when I'm running from a track meet to a doctor's appointment to a meeting.

I think the reason everyone in photos looked so well groomed back then is that (ahem!) no one took pictures of them if they weren't!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 02:56:04 PM »
for people who claim to care about liberty, we certainly do care an awful lot about others' business.
That's not only silly, it's self-contradictory.  Are we forcing anybody to do anything?

I doubt that you dress in the manner described, anyway.  We're not saying you have to dress up everywhere you go.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

...has left the building.

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 03:02:16 PM »
hahahahahaha! Hilarious! I like the guy with the beanie and dirty-goat with his g/f with the muffin tops hanging out over her jeans.

I really like when I see them on campus with their motorcycles...they sit on Chauncey Hill in their squid gear and just BS while I'm dragging my peg feeler around the corner on my 250 Cheesy

In all seriousness, Japanese philosophy has taught me that you should take pride in ALL things in your life, from your keeping your appearance/house neat to treating people with care and respect. Having that sort of care in your daily life leads to success whether you have $1 to your name or $1B. Have you ever noticed that people that say don't take care of their apartment/car/house/etc. because they consider it a temporary situation? Well those people generally never transcend their current position. Care small matters extends to all things.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 05:12:07 PM »
El Tejon and Charby, I am right there with you.

I think that's why I like old films from the 40's - 50's and Connery's Jame Bond movies. The men are always well dressed. Grey suit, crisp white shirt, neat tie, and a fedora.

Good on the schools you mentioned. There may be hope for the future yet.

LawDog, add to that tip it to a lady. Give up your seat to an elderly person. Hold the door or chair for a lady.

People have lost all sense of style, grace, or just plain old manners.

It's even creeping into churches.

The church where my parents attend has a second service on Sunday called "Contemporary Service". Which translates to mostly younger people in jeans and t-shirts, etc.

When I was growing up if I had suggested to my parents that I wear jeans and a Nascar t-shirt to church, I would have had extreme difficulty sitting in the pew comfortably.