Author Topic: Reno. Quakes and I'm not ready at all  (Read 11806 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Reno. Quakes and I'm not ready at all
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »
As many of you know, I drive a cab.
I scraped and put another title loan on my truck in order to lease the cab so I get to keep more money but biz is terribly slow.
Most stuff is in storage but, it all unorganized, my backpack has a bunch of shoes in it, stuff that might go in a bug out pack is all scattered....sheesh.

The quakes have been hitting at the worse possible moment, I have to come up with 350 a week for the cab, plus gas and the rest has to go toward getting the truck out of hock, insurance and registration is due, rent is due, arrrggghhhhh

Life is interesting.

Pray that the big one waits a few more weeks, OK?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
Re: Reno. Quakes and I'm not ready at all
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »
Uh, yeah...have fun with that...

My parents felt the one that hit in Wells.  They were a hundred miles away so there wasn't any damage.  I wonder if the big one goes off there, they'll feel that one too?

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
Just get some of those blue water storage cubes at Wal-Mart and keep them filled, they're about $5 each. Bottled water, also. And pick up a box of Sopakco MREs, LED flashlights or lanterns, and batteries. Also a crank cellphone charger, they come on emergency radios now. If you're on a tight budget, get a 20lb sack of rice, cans of beans, and a way to boil water.

If there's a "big one", I'd expect power disruption and water and gas line breaks that take a while to fix, so just be ready for that. I'd expect you're already armed.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »
Sopakco MREs??
Where do I get them?
Flashlights I got, as well as first aid kits.
Armed?
You bet, I guess I can go raid houses with "Obama" signs out front!

JUST KIDDING!

i'M ON MY WAY OUT TO  find some stuff cheap....
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
You mean there's no surplus outlets in Reno? smiley

SOPAKCO, a military contractor, makes a lower-calories version of their MREs for the general public as well, the Sure-Pak. A lot of people, myself included, find them to be the best general-public MRE out there. There's a couple of other brands that say they're MREs, but have substandard, low-grade and cheap food products in them and are generally pretty nasty. SOPAKCO is the only one that comes with the famous Military Spoon, the others come with EZ-snap white plastic ones. (There was one other decent company called Menu C, but I haven't seen their stuff in years)

They come in a box of 12 like this:

Beware loose "surplus" MREs unless you know how to read the date codes and/or have a table of what entrees were discontinued when. Some stores sell old military stock that's badly expired.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
USGS real time quake monitoring.  Lots of activity at the moment.  Check out the swarm over the last few days in southern Cali.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

Good thing is lots of little ones usually equals no big one.  Gradual energy release instead of all at once.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
Except the Reno ones have been building in intensity. That's unusual, and they've said that a 6 would not be a strange thing to have happen soon.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:44:37 AM »
The Reno temblors have prompted a flood of calls from homeowners to insurers about quake insurance.

MetLife placed a 30-day moratorium on new coverage after a 4.2 quake jolted Reno on Thursday. Until then, the strongest quake in the sequence had been 3.6 on April 16.

LITTLE LATE THERE GUYS  rolleyes

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 05:17:16 AM »
There's a couple of other brands that say they're MREs, but have substandard, low-grade and cheap food products in them and are generally pretty nasty.

Hell you just described MRE's to a T.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 05:24:52 AM »
There's a couple of other brands that say they're MREs, but have substandard, low-grade and cheap food products in them and are generally pretty nasty.

Hell you just described MRE's to a T.

Oh, there's worse. Hard to believe, but there is. Think stale generic "food" from a dollar store, including a no-name-brand artificially flavored smashed and stale cereal bar.

Oddly, SOPAKCO still makes the Grilled Chicken Breast for the civilian MREs, even though it was discontinued as an issue item. That one's good. It's just, well...a piece of grilled chicken.

BTW, did you see the new artwork that the Pentagon just spent millions developing for the MRE packaging?  cheesy

Three designs, approved just this month, apparently. It took them about two years and lots of committees, and lots of narrowing it down from dozens of designs.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 05:31:26 AM »
Seen the artwork a few months ago.

As for the grilled chicken read the package again.

I bet it says something like chicken pieces pressed and formed with grill marks added.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:35:11 AM »
Seen the artwork a few months ago.

As for the grilled chicken read the package again.

I bet it says something like chicken pieces pressed and formed with grill marks added.

Maybe, but it actually tastes like chicken, not a sorry excuse for Dinty Moore stew like a lot of the others do. cheesy

(The Beef Patty just doesn't look right, and the enchiladas are especially sorry when they get smashed.) 

BTW, have you ever had a chance to try a French RCIR? I've heard they make startlingly good rations, things like sautee of rabbit, lamb stew... Might not fight much, but the French can cook, so that makes sense.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 06:07:50 AM »
Sopakco MREs??
Where do I get them?
Flashlights I got, as well as first aid kits.
Armed?
You bet, I guess I can go raid houses with "Obama" signs out front!

JUST KIDDING!

i'M ON MY WAY OUT TO  find some stuff cheap....

Mormons teach as part of thier faith to stockpile some things.  Not sure of the standard, but I think its a year for thier family+ another family.  For some reason, alot of them don't think they should also stockpile some arms and ammo.  During a discussion with one I mentioned that since they're relatively unarmed, I'll come borrow some supplies if the time comes.  I think he bought some guns after that.
 laugh 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lennyjoe

• friend

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 07:02:51 AM »
Best of luck gunsmith. Hope your work situation and economy improves Smiley.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 07:09:42 AM »
I still have a case or two of issued stuff I bought through the AF Commissary.  I bought them for our hurricane bug-out kit.

They're ok for a survival situation, backpacking, or deer camp when nothing else is available, but Imodium AD is cheaper and packs lighter, too.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 07:13:09 AM »
I wish they'd bring back the oatmeal cookie brick.

China apparently copied it and includes it in their rations.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
Mormons teach as part of thier faith to stockpile some things.  Not sure of the standard, but I think its a year for thier family+ another family.  For some reason, alot of them don't think they should also stockpile some arms and ammo.  During a discussion with one I mentioned that since they're relatively unarmed, I'll come borrow some supplies if the time comes.  I think he bought some guns after that.
 laugh 

Yep, I consider my guns'n'ammo part of emergency preparedness. The LDS church generally proscribes a year's supply of food for one's own family. I need to get started on one, I've been in an apartment where it's harder to keep much stored food, but recently bought a house so I actually have the space.

When I was little, my family lived largely on our food storage for I think it was 6 months when my dad lost his job and was having trouble finding another one, so it's definitely not just for disaster preparedness.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 09:05:50 AM »
Reno has a few minor quakes and you people are talking stockpiling survival supplies.  Hilarious.  laugh

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
Reno has a few minor quakes and you people are talking stockpiling survival supplies.  Hilarious.  laugh

Over 330 in the last six days.  Yup, just a few. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 10:58:45 AM »
Maybe this is the precurser to CA finally falling into the ocean.  New beach front property incoming!  Maybe I should start some land speculation?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »
Maybe this is the precurser to CA finally falling into the ocean.  New beach front property incoming!  Maybe I should start some land speculation?

Yeah, grow your own lettuce '41magsnub', because if the world's 7th largest economy ceases to exist, you're gonna find yourself in the middle of an economic depression the likes of which hasn't existed since the Dark Ages.  laugh

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »
Yeah, grow your own lettuce '41magsnub', because if the world's 7th largest economy ceases to exist, you're gonna find yourself in the middle of an economic depression the likes of which hasn't existed since the Dark Ages.

We'll manage. I don't eat rabbit food.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
Yeah, grow your own lettuce '41magsnub', because if the world's 7th largest economy ceases to exist, you're gonna find yourself in the middle of an economic depression the likes of which hasn't existed since the Dark Ages.

We'll manage. I don't eat rabbit food.

That's cool.  Carrion eating humans don't live all that long.  Your choice.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »
I wonder if the Reno quakes are related to the midwest quakes last week.  I need to brush up on my geology.