Author Topic: Illegal alien roundup in Iowa  (Read 11918 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Illegal alien roundup in Iowa
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »
Normally I agree with you to go after employers.  The caveat is that I think we should go after employers who knowingly hire illegals.  In this case, the criminal charges against the illegals are because they employed identity theft to get real Social Security numbers and IDs so they could get the jobs to begin with.  The employer saw real gov't issued IDs and hired these people.  You can't hold the employer responsible when they thought they were hiring legal residents or people with temporary work visas.

Sorry, but that is utterly untrue.  This company sought out illegals to hire because they were illegal and therefore wouldn't seek enforcement of employment laws.  They may have been involved in bringing some/many of them into the country illegally to begin with.  The Rubashkins were under no illusions or even any reasonable misunderstanding of the immigration status of their employees. This was all done very intentionally.

Unfortunately, the company feels pretty well insulated from punitive actions, and probably correctly so, because the city of Postville has become utterly dependent on Agri and simply could not easily (or perhaps at all) recover from the shuttering of the plant and the relocation of the community of rabbinical supervisors and their families that now constitutes a substantial portion of Postville's population.

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
Normally I agree with you to go after employers.  The caveat is that I think we should go after employers who knowingly hire illegals.  In this case, the criminal charges against the illegals are because they employed identity theft to get real Social Security numbers and IDs so they could get the jobs to begin with.  The employer saw real gov't issued IDs and hired these people.  You can't hold the employer responsible when they thought they were hiring legal residents or people with temporary work visas.

Sorry, but that is utterly untrue.  This company sought out illegals to hire because they were illegal and therefore wouldn't seek enforcement of employment laws.  They may have been involved in bringing some/many of them into the country illegally to begin with.  The Rubashkins were under no illusions or even any reasonable misunderstanding of the immigration status of their employees. This was all done very intentionally.

Sorry but that is "utterly untrue". 

You are asking us to believe in what had to amount to a conspiracy for all these charges against Rubashkins to be true.  I find it impossible to believe.

First, I have digested dozens of news reports about this raid.  Most make mention of these illegal IDs made for the illegals so they could gain employment.  Some have insinuated (as you explicitly state) that this was done by Rubashkins, but most stories I've read point to an illegal smuggling ring/illegal ID ring that provided these papers long before they got to Rubashkins.  The founder of the company, Rabbi Shalom Rubashkin, the son of an immigrant, wanted to help out other immigrants and did try to hire (legal) immigrants when he could.  The illegal ring took advantage of this.

Next, for this conspiracy to have happened the way you and other detractors of the company claim, scores of people, including dozens of rabbis, would have to have been involved.  Orthodox Jews in general are very concerned with living correctly and doing what is right and moral.  We have to be, we believe we account for every second of our lives when we have an audience with the Almighty when our time comes (and we follow halacha, Jewish Law, which requires certain behavior and standards from us).  The men who ran this company weren't just Orthodox Jews, they were Chassidim, among our most pious.  Further, many of those in charge were rabbis.  Now, is it possible that even among such groups to have one or two bad apples, certainly.  However, to believe these charges (with which the government has not charged any company official) you have to believe that scores of these most pious Chassidim, and dozens of the most elite (rabbis) were involved.  That is just too much to believe.

Further, Rubashkins has two major plants, this one in Iowa and another in Nebraska.  From all accounts the plant in Nebraska is run by the law, it treats its employees well, and there are no rampant problems there.  So, to believe these charges we have to believe that there is a systemic problem with Rubashkins, with totally corrupt company leadership going to the highest levels, but these problems only present themselves  at one of their two plants.

In addition, this isn't in a vacuum, there has been a context of a long-standing campaign of slander against the Postville Jewish community since almost the beginning.  When they first bought the slaughterhouse the townspeople were happy that there may be jobs again.  However, they didn't anticipate the masses of Chassidim and other Orthodox Jews who'd move in to service the plant and to service the new community, and face it, no one likes change (the Orthodox Jews probably looked like they were from another planet to the folks of Postville).  This tension got the attention of Stephen Bloom who wrote a book that you don't need to know that much about the Orthodox and Chassidic lifestyle to know he was full of crap (for just one example, their first encounter with cars would not have been Iowa, they grew up with them like the rest of us).  I know people who used to live there and have been told by those who were there and know the people involved that many of the incidents in the book were fake- many conversations and visits he wrote about just didn't happen.  Further, his bias was quite obvious throughout the book.  Well, anyway, his book gave Postville nationwide attention.  Over the next few years you had the attack by PETA (who doesn't like any killing of animals BTW, and this attack happened in the context of attacks on kosher slaughter in many countries in Europe), a union tried to organize the workers and then began a smear campaign when the company won, and now the Feds have been brought in (who significantly have not charged the management in this current incident).  So, in the context of a decade of slander, we are supposed to believe the latest is true (that the management actively recruited illegals and intentionally broke the law).

Finally, I know people who used to live there.  I know people who not only know people, but are related to people, associated with Rubashkins.  You want me to believe that these wonderful, moral, ethical people have not one, but several friends, acquaintances, and family members who are criminals and scum.  Sorry, I have trouble believing that.  Further, these people I know personally and trust assure me that these charges are complete witch hunts. 

So, from the more objective and specific to the more general (and some through personal contacts) there are plenty of reasons to believe the company is not criminal in this case.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

macadore

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
Why doesnt the government create a legal way for the immigrants to come here and require those who hire them to pay the entire cost of them being here?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
Just fyi Chaim; Bridgewalker is Jewish.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

chaim

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »
Just fyi Chaim; Bridgewalker is Jewish.

He could be, I didn't assume he was or he wasn't (though I guess I'm assuming he isn't Orthodox).  Actually, even the assumption that he isn't Orthodox is probably unfair, Orthodox Jews care more about this (on both sides) than pretty much anyone else right now (unless they are involved in the illegal immigrant movement or are in Postville most everyone else is ignoring it) and I've seen some pretty bitter arguments over the issue within the Orthodox community.  In fact, some of those in the Orthodox community are quite willing to believe the worst since Lubavitchers are often fairly unpopular (some strange political things going on within Lubavitch, plus they do tend to be a little arrogant, especially towards other Chassidic groups, combine to make them somewhat unpopular among many Orthodox Jews).

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 01:43:50 PM »
Errr, chaim? Bridgewalker is also a lady......

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

chaim

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »

Darn, I need to come around here more often so I know who all the more active member names are that I currently don't recognize. 

Sorry Bridgewalker

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
You are asking us to believe in what had to amount to a conspiracy for all these charges against Rubashkins to be true.  I find it impossible to believe.

Yes, I am stating that the company made business decisions which were illegal.  

Next, for this conspiracy to have happened the way you and other detractors of the company claim, scores of people, including dozens of rabbis, would have to have been involved.

Yep.  Or, senior management, aka Sholom and Aaron Rubashkin would have had to have agreed to do it that way and no one either objected too strongly or paid attention to what was going on.

Orthodox Jews in general are very concerned with living correctly and doing what is right and moral.

Italians in general are very concerned with living correctly and doing what is right and moral.  Doesn't mean that there isn't a  substantial criminal element along Italians, even unto the point of businesses engaging in semi-legal and illegal business practices.

Sorry, but the whole "but they're FRUM!" argument doesn't go too far with me.  Been there, done that.  People in general have good intentions.  Some don't.  Of all creeds.

We have to be, we believe we account for every second of our lives when we have an audience with the Almighty when our time comes (and we follow halacha, Jewish Law, which requires certain behavior and standards from us).  The men who ran this company weren't just Orthodox Jews, they were Chassidim, among our most pious.

Being born to a chassidishe family doesn't make one more righteous.  Being born to a yeshivishe family doesn't either.  In fact, being born in general only gives one the opportunity to choose righteousness.  No, their hats and coats do not place them above suspicion.  Nor does their nussach. 

Further, many of those in charge were rabbis.

Yeah, in a community where they hand out smicha like candy, practically as a prerequisite to marriage.

Now, is it possible that even among such groups to have one or two bad apples, certainly.  However, to believe these charges (with which the government has not charged any company official) you have to believe that scores of these most pious Chassidim, and dozens of the most elite (rabbis) were involved.  That is just too much to believe.

Not scores, not dozens.  Merely several.  I have enough experience with the "most pious chassidim" and the "most elite rabbis" to have lost my naivete about their garb and creed making them holier than everyone else.  

Further, Rubashkins has two major plants, this one in Iowa and another in Nebraska.  From all accounts the plant in Nebraska is run by the law, it treats its employees well, and there are no rampant problems there.  So, to believe these charges we have to believe that there is a systemic problem with Rubashkins, with totally corrupt company leadership going to the highest levels, but these problems only present themselves  at one of their two plants.

I have no personal experience with the Nebraska plant.

In addition, this isn't in a vacuum, there has been a context of a long-standing campaign of slander against the Postville Jewish community since almost the beginning.

Slander, like when the locals were a bit annoyed that Marion Bakken was shot by two of these "most pious" Jews in an armed robbery?  

However, they didn't anticipate the masses of Chassidim and other Orthodox Jews who'd move in to service the plant and to service the new community, and face it, no one likes change (the Orthodox Jews probably looked like they were from another planet to the folks of Postville).

Yep.  Their choice.

This tension got the attention of Stephen Bloom who wrote a book that you don't need to know that much about the Orthodox and Chassidic lifestyle to know he was full of crap (for just one example, their first encounter with cars would not have been Iowa, they grew up with them like the rest of us).

I dunno, I rather enjoyed it.  I certainly don't recall anywhere where he stated that Lubavitchers had never seen cars.  

Further, his bias was quite obvious throughout the book.

I sympathize with his experiences.  I've witnessed those sorts of behaviors on the parts of the Lubavitch in particular hundreds of times.

Finally, I know people who used to live there. 

Yeah, me too.  My sister and brother-in-law, actually.

Further, these people I know personally and trust assure me that these charges are complete witch hunts.

That was not the experience of my family. 

So, from the more objective and specific to the more general (and some through personal contacts) there are plenty of reasons to believe the company is not criminal in this case.

I disagree. But thanks for the propoganda.

Sara (Rabinowitz) Haliczer
Bais Yakov Detroit, class of 1997
Darchai Binah, Jerusalem, class of 1998
Binah Yeteirah, summer 2000
Baptized and confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church, Archodiocese of Detroit, 2004.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
Just fyi Chaim; Bridgewalker is Jewish

Thanks Balog!

Both true.  Also a "thank God and all his Angels and Saints that I got out of that community" Christian, also a life-long opponent of some of the characteristics of the Lubavitch community. 

Just in case anyone didn't notice my biases.  grin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
Just fyi Chaim; Bridgewalker is Jewish

Thanks Balog!

Both true.  Also a "thank God and all his Angels and Saints that I got out of that community" Christian, also a life-long opponent of some of the characteristics of the Lubavitch community. 

Just in case anyone didn't notice my biases.  grin

No problem Bridgewalker. Someone's gotta set these uppity newbs straight.  grin Just kiddin' Chaim.

Of course if Fistful was doing his job I wouldn't have to.  angry Way to go fisty! Geez, I think that evil monkey avatar is distracting him from his scapegoating purpose in life. Slacker....

chaim

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Both true.  Also a "thank God and all his Angels and Saints that I got out of that community" Christian,

I went the other direction myself.  I'm a Baal Teshuva (my mother is Jewish, though dad is not) who just 15 years ago was on track to become a Unitarian Universalist minister (OK, not quite Christian, but close, I was one of the more religious Unitarians).

Quote from: chaim
In fact, some of those in the Orthodox community are quite willing to believe the worst since Lubavitchers are often fairly unpopular (some strange political things going on within Lubavitch, plus they do tend to be a little arrogant, especially towards other Chassidic groups, combine to make them somewhat unpopular among many Orthodox Jews).

Quote from:  BridgeWalker
also a life-long opponent of some of the characteristics of the Lubavitch community. 

Like I said Cheesy .  Actually, most Lubavitchers I know are good people, but some (and Lubavitch as a movement) can be a bit arrogant.  It rarely shows in day to day interactions, but they have a tendency to look down on other Orthodox Jews, especially other Chassidic groups (if I hear the derogatory term "Chagas Chassidus" again I'll probably scream), and this can make them a bit unpopular at times.  Case in point we have BridgeWalker (actually among my closest group of friends, other than a few who are Lubavitchers, most dislike Lubavitch probably every bit as much as BridgeWalker, though almost none believe the slander against Rubashkins).  Oh, just for the record I am not a Lubavitcher, just an Orthodox Jew (mostly somewhere between Modern and Yeshivish, but with some strong Chassidic leanings- mainly Hornosteiple/Twerski and Breslov, though I do learn Tanya).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »
Note to self #1: Do not engage with BW in intellectual knife fights over R Catholicism or Orthodox Judaism or any tangential subjects.

Related Note #2: If challenged by LadySmith to a duel, "Pumps at twenty paces" are NOT agreeable terms.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
I read this whole thing and felt like I was in the midst of a catfight in the household of Mel and Max Brooks. grin

Too much hebrew for me to follow.  It's all greek to me. angel

There's large Jewish enclaves in Iowa?  Running a slaughterhouse?  My understanding of Iowa (lived in Minnesota for awhile and my dad works for John Deere and all we hear at home was agrobusiness) is Corn and Pigs.  And more Corn and Pigs.  And everyone is Scandinavian, either Lutheran or Methodist.

All these Jewish sects you guys mentioned:  Chassidishe and Orthodox, Yeshivishe and Modern.  What gives.  Chassidishe = Hacidic?  Yeshivishe = Mesianic?  How does one sect care more about illegal immigration than another?  I just don't see the connection.

Fistful failed to interpret and provide footnotes in your dialogue... again.  Way to go fistful.  Schmuck. rolleyes
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

chaim

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
I read this whole thing and felt like I was in the midst of a catfight in the household of Mel and Max Brooks. grin

Too much hebrew for me to follow.  It's all greek to me. angel

Sorry about that.

There's large Jewish enclaves in Iowa?  Running a slaughterhouse?  My understanding of Iowa (lived in Minnesota for awhile and my dad works for John Deere and all we hear at home was agrobusiness) is Corn and Pigs.  And more Corn and Pigs.  And everyone is Scandinavian, either Lutheran or Methodist.
  Some years ago a kosher packing company decided to buy a long closed slaughterhouse in Postville Iowa.  The idea was, most beef is produced in the midwest, so for fresher beef they'd go closer to the source.  Without too much detail, kosher meat has to be killed in a certain manner so qualified rabbis had to be brought in.  The management decided to come into town instead of manage the place by proxy.  With that a community developed, and more people moved in to meet communal needs , and more people who may have been in the area (or attracted to a less urban area) moved in since there was a community there.

All these Jewish sects you guys mentioned:  Chassidishe and Orthodox, Yeshivishe and Modern.  What gives.  Chassidishe = Hacidic?  Yeshivishe = Mesianic?  How does one sect care more about illegal immigration than another?  I just don't see the connection.

Chassidishe is Chassidic (Hasidic) Judaism which is one of 2 right wing parts of Orthodox Judaism (it is more mystically inclined than the other right wing end of Orthodox Judaism).  Yeshivish is the other, less mystical, and more fundamentalist part of the right wing of Orthodox Judaism.  Neither group is going to care much politically about illegal immigration as their main concerns are religious (work is just what you need to do to live, and on the most right wing end of the spectrum there is no such thing as leisure, just Torah, and politics is a waste of time that should be spent on Torah- hence my being partly Modern).  Their main concerns will be hiring who they need to run the business, but tempered by whatever the law says (it is part of Jewish Law that we must follow the law of the land that we are in).  Modern Orthodox is the more left wing end of Orthodox Judaism (with much variation within it).  All Orthodox Jews believe in following all G-d's commands that effect them without exception.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »
...Chaim got there first with  the explanations.

Also, IIRc the Lubavicher is the messianic sub-stream of Hassidism, but he'll correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just a hiloni after all. Cheesy
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

chaim

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
...Chaim got there first with  the explanations.

Also, IIRc the Lubavicher is the messianic sub-stream of Hassidism, but he'll correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just a hiloni after all. Cheesy

According to Chabad we're all Chiloni Cheesy

Just wanted to note, by messianic he means that waiting for the Messiah to come is a major part of their ideology (while that can be said of all Orthodox Jews, it is more so with the Chassidic groups, and most so with Lubavitch and Breslov).

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »

That could be.

There's one, the famous or infamous Postville.  Neat business move, actually.  Too costly to ship the livestock into or near the city.  Trouble is that in order to be properly kosher by most Orthodox standards, meat must be partially prepared--kashered, that is--pretty quickly after slaughter, so the other stop-gap--sending rabbis and slaughterers out to remote slaughterhouses--is also expensive and leads to heavy losses from time to time.  The most cost-effective solution is to simply move all the necessary personnel: slaughterers, checkers, rabbinical supervisors out there.  Along with their wives and kids and apprentices.  And teachers.  And a kollel, because every community needs scholars to spend their days "lernen" that is, studying law, mostly talmud but also later writing and exegesis and such, full-time to sustain the spiritual life of the community.  And their wives and kids.  And more teachers.  And then people to run a bakery, a mikveh (ritual bath; the guys' doesn't take much upkeep, but the women's does).  And people to run the motel that you buy to put up any visiting relatives and prospective employees.  And some teachers.  OJ kids don't go to public school, and so you gotta bring a school with you.  

Anyway, it's a fairly large inundation of black-and-white garbed guys with black hats and no ties into a community of jeans and baseball caps and your choice between the Lutheran church, the Methodist church, or those freaky Catholics.  But it's job and a boost to the economy.

But, as Stephen Bloom commented, yeah, there is a whole lotta Lake Woebegone meets Brooklyn, and while much of it is amicable some of it isn't.  So, yeah, there is a small but noticeable enclave of Jews in Iowa.

All these Jewish sects you guys mentioned:  What gives. 

ok, ok.

Orthodox Jews: A Spotter's Guide

Chassidishe = Hacidic?

Yes.  Hasidic, Chosidish, Chassidish are all the same thing.  Hasidic is the more accepted spelling in secular writings.  Chaim Potok for example, talked about Hasidim.  (Ok, pause: hasidic/chassidic--adjective describing teh adherents of that group of sects; hasidim/chassidim--plural noun; hasid/chassid--singular noun). "Chassidishe" is my smarmy way of letting Chaim know who I am and where I come from.  It's pronunciation that an outsider is very, very unlikely to use.  And the "Ch"?  Yeah, unless you speak German, don't even try.  See, we (and I use "we" loosely, for obvious reasons) used to all speak Yiddish, but we spoke it all different kinds of way, and the extra syllable on the end reflects a pretty "yeshivish" pronunciation.

Yeshivishe = Mesianic?

No!  Well, sorta'  grin

All Orthodox Jews are messianic in that they constantly await the coming of the messiah.  They recite it in prayer at least once daily, it's a popular theme in songs, and it's central to the liturgy of most holidays, but most especially Passover.

But the yeshivish community thinks of itself as being distinctly anti-messianic.  More on that below.  The yeshivish community in some ways arose in opposition to the hasidim centuries ago, but in its modern iteration, yeshivish simply means "very Orthodox, but not organized around a dynamic leader and his family".  It has its important families, but officially there are no dynasties.  There are no "uniforms" in that women have a broad choice in how to cover their hair, for example, or in how long their skirts should be.  Men wear, nearly universally within the community, black felt hats and black jacket, and a black suit on the sabbath, but you have your choice of pinstripes, or even a daring charcoal grey or navy.  They have a fairly neutral set of customs that pretty similar and most are based in interpretation of law rather than in following the lead of a dynamic rabbi.  The men learn as much as they can--and by learn I mean as described above.  The women sometimes work outside of the community, but cautiously, and only to make a living.  "Careers" tend to be frowned upon, for both men and women.  This community is very open to newcomers like Chaim who are Jewish but become Orthodox.  I was raised in this kind of community.  

Chassidish?  Well, all those things the yeshivish community is not?  The charismatic leaders, often in family dynasties, the "uniforms" for men and women, other things designed to promote separateness--those are chassidish.  Thing of long, curled sidelocks, shaven heads (men and married women in some sects, but they vary a lot, and you'd never see a women's head anyway), long cassocks of a particular design.  Sometims knee pants, with long white socks.  On sabbath and holidays, there is an array of fur hats of various kinds.  They want to recall their roots, to maintain their seperateness, to follow leaders, etc.  There are hundreds of these sects.  Some are more modern, like the Twerskis (Milwaukee) and the Bostoners (Boston), and don't have the obvious visual markers, but they have the other traits of chassidus.  Those are: an emphasis on spirituality over legalism, an emphasis on singing (if you're a man anyway), an emphasis of crafting one's life not around fulfilling the legal requirements of Judaism, but on enjoying them, on living them fully.  There's a huge emphasis on joyfulness.  (Unless you're like me, and get your joyfulness from shooting and running and riding and judo--and combine all this with being a woman.  That whole life just didn't work out for me...)

Ok, now the Lubavitch.  First of all:  irritating as all get out.  Ok, so I'm biased, all my Jewish extended family are lubavitch, some messianic, and they are just irritating.  Lubavitch was a hasidic sect, led by the Schneerson family.  Came over from Russia a while back (dunno when--I think right after WWII), but under the leadership of the last rebbe became an intersting experiment:  a modernizing chassidic sect.  They openly and loudly proslytize to fallen-away Jews, but they also attract a lot of non-Jews, a big no-no in Judaism.  Potential converts are traditionally turned away unless they are really persistent.  Lubavitch tends to be not so careful with that.  They have enclaves around the world.  If you see someone in Delhi or Brasilia or Tokyo with a beard and a black suit, a white shirt, and no tie, who looks Jewsih, odds are he's a Lubavitcher. But they can be very arrogant. They can talk down to people in pretty annoying patronizing ways.  In most ways they are no more guilty than any discrete group that is proud of who they are and what they do, but the combination of chassidus and modernity and openness has led to a lot of clashes and frustrations.  Yeshivish types often don't get along with them.  My own family had some serious problems, up to and including separate yeshivish and lubavitch prayer quorums at the house of mourning when my grandfather died.  Just different customs, and lots of abrasive in-your-faceness about the difference in customs.

Oh, and messianism:

Most yeshivishe folks and chasidish folks are *not* messianic in that they do not attempt to identify a potential messiah, they refrain from making it as central to their lives as some others.  Lubavitchers tend to make the messiah concept more a central to their lives than others and have exhibited a propoensity for assuming that their leader is it.  But most were shocked and horrified when some Lubavitchers, in the early 90's, to varying degrees, demanded that their recently deceased rabbi (or the "rebbe" aka R' Schneerson famously of Crown Heights, Brooklyn) was the messiah, even though he was dead.  Much of Jewish philosophy surrounding he messiah has arisen over the centuries from the need to refute Christianity, and so, ya see, declaring that a dead guy was the savior was um, problematic.  There was an even bigger backlash against those guys from all corners, and against lubavitch in general (probably unfairly).  But some Lubavitch defended those people, too.  It got weird.

But it's hardly yeshivish against lubavitch; it's mostly pretty peaceful.  But only recently has Christianity even begun to approach the level of sectarianism in the Jewish community.  Fortunately, between most groups, most of the time, things are pretty peaceful.  There are some serious feuds, mostly about kosher laws and meat, oddly enough, but mostly it's all good.

How does one sect care more about illegal immigration than another?  I just don't see the connection.

Because Lubavitchers and dirty, lying, thieving, pseudo-Christians with a penchant for philandery, so we gotta stick it to 'em!  Duh.

Seriously though, my feelings about Postville arise from my personal experiences. Now, my experiences may be what they were because my sister and her husband are not Chassidish or Lubavitch, and so they never felt very welcome in Postville and were more critical in their observations.  Any community is way too multi-faceted to condemn out of hand.  

But, I grew up in community politics, and long before I decided to split, I lost any illusions that Jewishness or Orthodoxy meant an absence of corruption.  I am skeptical on the face of it, as well as from family experiences:  I think it is ludicrous that an astute family like the Rubashkins would not know that a huge proportion of their workforce was incredibly illegal.  Im also familiar with the way that small, close communities can spawn little side-businesses that feed other side-businesses in interesting ways.  Of course there's a conspiracy.  There's a million and one little conspiracies.  

Fistful failed to interpret and provide footnotes in your dialogue... again.  Way to go fistful.  Schmuck. rolleyes

Yeah, dude, what's up with that?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
Also, while MicroBalrog may be a chiloni, I'm a full-blown apikores.  So there.

Chiloni=secular Israeli
"Frei" or merely "not frum"=secular non-Israeli

apikores=heretic  grin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
Note to self #1: Do not engage with BW in intellectual knife fights over R Catholicism or Orthodox Judaism or any tangential subjects.

Related Note #2: If challenged by LadySmith to a duel, "Pumps at twenty paces" are NOT agreeable terms.

I dunno, Blue just threatened to break fistful's kneecaps in another thread.  It's always the quiet ones...

Besides, I was nice.  I didn't even mention my lubavitch rabbi uncle who didn't take no for an answer from his teenaged nieces who also happened to be his employees.  Nah, I've got no beef with the patriarchy at all....  angel

chaim

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »

I'm going to try to refrain from posting on the controversy anymore.  I don't really know your style of posting since I've only been reading you today, but I'm getting the impression that I'm (at best) annoying you, and that is not my intent.  If I am annoying you I do apologize.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »
but I'm getting the impression that I'm (at best) annoying you, and that is not my intent.  If I am annoying you I do apologize.

Heck, no! I'm having a great time.  Not usually on this much in one evening, just lots of online business going on tonight. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 10:41:20 AM »
What I want to know is this:

Are they going to brand, castrate, and ear-tag all those aliens that they round up Huh?

laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
Also, while MicroBalrog may be a chiloni, I'm a full-blown apikores.  So there.

Dang!

And I'm nothing but a fallen Episcopalian/Congregationalist/Friend/Unitarian (not Universalist)/Buddhist/ ...

I knew I had missed one along the way.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

doc2rn

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »
C.S.S.

What part of illegal do the politicians not understand?

Send them ICE guys to Kansas slaughter houses next will ya, PLEASE! There are so many of them darned illegals I got rear ended by a van full and the officer didn't even take them into custody! He said that if he arrested them I would have to pay for their confinement and the damage they caused my car vs. me just having to pay for my car. The next day I saw the lot of them working at a construction site next to Dicks Sporting Goods. I felt better when the foreman fired them the day before payday and gave me the money to fix my car from their wages. laugh
People should not have to put up with third world antics!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
C.S.S.

What part of illegal do the politicians not understand?

The part where the lobbiests that represent their business interests tell them not to do anything about the problem, because it allows for more profits.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM