Author Topic: .22lr handgun  (Read 11172 times)

Sawdust

• friend
.22lr handgun
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
Looking for suggestions regarding what .22lr handgun to procure.

Will be used for introducing noobs to shooting and general enjoyment.

Any help/opinions would be highly appreciated...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: .22lr handgun
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »
revolver
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »
Ruger Revolver.  You might be able to find a single six for cheap. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
Speaking of Single Six, I have a 70s vintage SS model with box conversion cylinder, and little felt baggy for cylinder I'm planning to sell.  It also has a Belt Mtn base pin installed.

Chris

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »
Walther P22?

Someone had to be different.
One day at a time.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »
I'd look for something along the lines of an S&W K-22, preferably a blued, six-shot version. (Pre lock, of course.) An M17 if you prefer a "target" gun, and an M18 for a 4" barrel "combat" style revolver.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
I can't speak highly enough of my single six.  Accurate and can take any amount of abuse.  I've used to to start a number of folks on pistol shooting.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »
I like the Ruger 22/45.  I bought five of the MkII 22/45 to use as trainers.

Until last summer (2008) you could buy them for $200.  I bought my last one for $250.00 at 500 Guns in Speedway.

500 Guns, Speedway, Indiana:  http://fivehundredguns.com/

The new 22/45 MkIIIs retail for a little less than $300 around here.

I really love my Smith 17s and 18s, but I can no longer find them for $200.  Those days are probably long gone.  I still haunt pawn shops and the occasional estate sale, but can no longer find them this cheap.

17s and 18s are rising steadily.  Someone I know paid $500 for a pre-18 recently.

I am also a fan of the Smith 63.  I dropped $350 for a minty one last year before this model started to climb as well.

Good luck.  Tell us what you chose.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
S&W K22 or M18 if revolver is you deal.

Ruger 22/45 if semi-auto is your preference.

I would avoid SA revolver for noobs:
1. De-cocking over a live round with a noob sounds like too much fun for me
2. DA revo or SA auto will have a manual of arms similar to a CCW/HD weapon
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
I actually really like the H&R break open .22's.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »
Browning Buckmark is a good cheap pistol, I gave mine to my nephews once I upgraded. Now for me it is only Marvel conversions on a good 1911. Good trigger, same ergonomics once you move a trainee to a real gun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Browning Buckmark is a good cheap pistol, I gave mine to my nephews once I upgraded. Now for me it is only Marvel conversions on a good 1911. Good trigger, same ergonomics once you move a trainee to a real gun.

What do you all recommend for .22 1911 conversion slides? Jonathan Aurthur Ciener?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »
re: $200 K22s...

I haven't seen them for that price in at least 10 years around here.  I just paid $475 plus shipping and transfer for my 17-2 and was happy to pay that price.  Finding a decent K22 for less than $500 is getting tricky.

That said, the K22 (17 and 18) is a fine gun and worth even $500 if in good shape and if DA revolvers are your thing.

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »
$500 in 2009 is a decent price, especially where you live.

However, don't forget I live in a gun-saturated state which keeps prices lower.  There are more guns in my state than there are in the states of the Confederacy, but the election has just made the market nuts.

I paid $200 for a Smith .22 just a couple of years ago and am glad that I got a few before the prices have more than doubled.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
Speaking of Single Six, I have a 70s vintage SS model with box conversion cylinder, and little felt baggy for cylinder I'm planning to sell.  It also has a Belt Mtn base pin installed.

Chris

Shoot me a PM with a pic and price....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
I'll throw in a mention for the Taurus 94 among the revolver options. I'd prefer a Smith, but new ones are 2.5 times the cost of a serviceable Taurus.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »
I've had a 22/45 Target model for years.  Good pistol.  Doesn't need a great deal of cleaning.  It already has a lot of plastic so there not a great need to keep it polished. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
I'll throw in a mention for the Taurus 94 among the revolver options. I'd prefer a Smith, but new ones are 2.5 times the cost of a serviceable Taurus.

I had a 94 for a little while.  Terrible trigger and I could not shoot it accurately for anything.  Other people could, so I think the accuracy was my issue, but the trigger wasn't.  With a lighter mainspring, it was a bit better, but reliability suffered greatly.

Smiths are expensive, but they generally appreciate, unlike Taurus.

If you can find one, a Ruger SP101 in 22lr would be nice.  Unfortunately, Ruger doesn't make them anymore.  No clue why, everyone who has one loves it.

Chris

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Seems to me that the attraction of a .22 should be its similarity to the real defense weapon at hand, to enable cheaper fun training. Different strokes...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
Ruger Mk2 or 22/45 is a great choice. I'd avoid the Mk3. Single six of you want a single action revolver, Smith K-22 if you want a double action.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
i've had a S&W mod 63 since late 70's.  Beaucoup rounds.  Just like a Timex watch....just keeps on tickin'.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
What do you all recommend for .22 1911 conversion slides? Jonathan Aurthur Ciener?
I have a Marvel conversion that I used to use for matches.  It was wicked accurate, but somewhat temperamental.  The ammunition that I liked best was especially dirty, and that caused issues.  All in all, it was a good piece of kit.

I've used friends' Ceiner conversions, and I found them inferior to the Marvel.  Your experiences may be different, though.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »

I recommend Marvel only. It handily beats Ciener and Ciener derivatives in mechanical accuracy (Marvel is fixed sights and barrel) and customer service.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice. JAC was the only conversion that came to mind, I've no connection to them.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »
I had a Ruger MKII 6-7/8 GVT for several years.   Traded it in part for for a shotgun, but I'd buy another.
Heavy, but accurate as all get out.

My Ruger 4-5/8" Single Six (old model) carries much better and is a nicer piece for everything except longer range accuracy.
7-11 was a part time job.