Author Topic: .22lr handgun  (Read 11171 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: .22lr handgun
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
I own a Ruger MK II, a Buckmark and a S&W Model 17

Get the Smith.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »
Let's see, I have a couple of Ruger Mark IIs, a Buckmark, a couple AMT Lightnings and a SP-101.  My favorite is the SP-101, followed by the 10" bull barrel Lightning.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 02:19:11 AM »
I own a Ruger MK II, a Buckmark and a S&W Model 17

Get the Smith.

I just did a quick look-see for a S&W Model 17 and found that the MSRP is over $1K.  :O
I don't doubt that they could probably be had for less, especially outside of CA, but wow!  =|
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:47 AM »
I just did a quick look-see for a S&W Model 17 and found that the MSRP is over $1K.  :O
I don't doubt that they could probably be had for less, especially outside of CA, but wow!  =|

I wouldn't have the new one anyway.  You can find older M17s on gunbroker for less than $600 (avg is roughly $500) and early model 617s for around $600 if you want stainless.  They're almost impossible to find in shops around here.  I hit every shop in NoVa and got the same story: Go online to get one.

There's no reason why a 22lr revolver should be any cheaper than the centerfire versions.  They're just as complex to make.

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:32 AM »
I forgot to mention that the Colt Trooper in .22lr is also a good buy.

Last one of these I purchased was $200 in 2006.  Do not know the going rate.  I do know that the Diamondbacks are nuts now.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 08:22:23 AM »
If you want to spend the money and can find one I suggest a Colt Diamondback revolver. For autos I prefer a Browning Buckmark to the Ruger. I own both a MKII and a Buckmark and I prefer the Buckmark by a wide margin.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »
Reread the original post  -  "Introducing noobs"..

I love my single six, but the trapdoor loading and single action may have you handing it back and forth too often.

Go with a double action revolver with a swing out cylinder.
7-11 was a part time job.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies - a lot to consider!

Really appreciate the input.

I think that a SA/DA revolver with a swing-out cylinder is the way to go for the first one.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »
Looking for suggestions regarding what .22lr handgun to procure.

Will be used for introducing noobs to shooting and general enjoyment.

Any help/opinions would be highly appreciated...

Sawdust

For noobs a revolver is arguably better, but for general enjoyment you will probably get more fun out of a semiauto.

Lots of good choices, and not all that many bad ones.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »
If you are accustomed to good quality guns, I would look for a used Smith Model 17 or 18 and just do the best you can with the price.  If you are comfortable with guns (revolvers) but want something much cheaper, I'd look at the Taurus M94.  I would check it out real well prior to purchase however in terms of functionality.  Many write about returning Taurus revolvers frequently due to malfunctions.  I have not owned one of these.  I do have a number of .22 revolvers however and generally believe a buyer is better off choosing a Smith or Colt product.  I'm good at spending some else's money.

Many like the old H&R 22 revolvers which you can find used.  Ruger made the SP101 in 22 for a while.  They turn up from time to time.

My favorite double action 22 revolvers include Colt Trooper Mark III, Colt Diamondback, Colt Officers Model Match, Smith & Wesson Model 17, Smith & Wesson Model 18, current Smith & Wesson Model 617 in 4" barrel.  I like the Smith Model 63 if you want a smaller frame.

Good luck with your choice.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

go_bang

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
I have a Taurus 94 and I don't know that I would recommend it for noobs.  The DA trigger pull is very hard, almost into the 20 lb range.  I've never used any other brand of DA .22LR revolver, so I don't know how that compares to the rest.  If they were only goind to use it as a SA then it wouldn't be so bad.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
I'm big on the Buckmark, myself.  =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
Has anybody figured out a way to clean the bore of a Buckmark from the back end without taking the barrel off?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
I was just thinking that 10 or so years ago I picked up a High Standard HD Military target pistol at a gun show.  I thought I paid a lot at the time.  That is one solid metal pistol with some weight.  I like it.  I'm not sure if it is a good choice as the price is a bit too high these days for me to recommend trying to get one. 

For newbies, I think you might actually like a semi-auto pistol.  If your goal is to show them what it is like to use a semi-auto without spending a lot on ammo, a .22 pistol will do it.  Teaches you about loading and unloading, using the safety, and handling misfires and malfunctions.  It gives you a lot of opportunities to teach lessons. 

IMO, if you want something simple and "idiot proof", you might as well stick with single shot rifles.  Don't even mess with pistols.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
The S&W 22A's are a great value. And takedown and cleaning are exceptionally easy.. You just push the button on the front of the trigger guard and it comes right off, makes cleaning from the breech a snap.  Comes with an integral rail on the barrel assembly, so you can mount a red-dot making the shooting experience even easier for neophyte. I've had a few who just could not understand iron sights at first.  Even with pictures.  =|

The barrel, the rail, and the irons are all one piece, so removing the barrel for cleaning does not change your zero either.

The only weak point is the plastic buffer at the end of the recoil spring guide rod that butts up against the slide stop on the frame extension. It'll get chewed up/crack, although OTOH I'm still on my original one from 1998 or so even though it's beat up it still works, and when I called about seven years ago when I noticed it splitting, S&W just sent me an envelope with a handful of extras I've yet to use.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/15669
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:12:31 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2009, 12:32:28 AM »
Has anybody figured out a way to clean the bore of a Buckmark from the back end without taking the barrel off?

A pull through. I usually took mine all the way apart when I got anal. That said...dons flame suit... Why clean the bore? My current .22 pistol I might have put 10 patches and 40,000 rounds through. I think most of those cleaning swipes I meant to clean the chamber and accidentally cleaned the bore.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
I use a boresnake on the little Buckmark pictured above.

Works just fine.

Rimfires really only need the chamber and crown cleaned, truthfully.

My FrankenRuger 10/22 gets just a Q-tip saturated with Ed's Red in the chamber and crown area when it starts slowing down on feeding and extraction. 

Clean the wax and bullet lube out of the bore, and watch your groups open up.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 09:57:09 PM »

What took me a little practice was to stop the recoil buffer from "sproinging" across the room.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
I second the revolver choice....I'd also add the Charter Arms Pathfinder and Heritage Rough Riders .22lr's to the list....good value guns, and most first-time shooters should be able to afford to buy them.....

...autos are easy for new shooters to shoot, but harder to maintain. Best to start w/ the wheelgun....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »
I actually really like the H&R break open .22's.
other than the 100 pound DA trigger pull they are great. :)
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
Still haven't found the time to, ah, pull the trigger on this.

What about one o' them conversion kits for a 1911? Would that be an option, or are they trash?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
other than the 100 pound DA trigger pull they are great. :)

Builds that trigger finger strength. :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
Sawdust:

STI is marketing the Marvel kits at $350. Pricey, but it seems to be the best of current production. I've been tempted, just never gotten to it on the list.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 10:50:47 PM »
ooking for suggestions regarding what .22lr handgun to procure.

Ruger Mark I,II,III.  Works, accurate, a ton of aftermarket goodies.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a fiddly pain to reassemble.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 11:05:30 PM »
Clean the wax and bullet lube out of the bore, and watch your groups open up.

I haven't cleaned the 10/22 in forever. The chamber is getting dirty and fails to go into battery now a lot. I should clean it, but still I went to the range this week and it was more accurate than ever. On the 25 yard range, I got tired of paper punching after I shot a 10-round group that looked just like one of the .45 auto holes on the next target over. I started shooting the tacks they use to hold the paper targets up. At that range, I have about a 95% first-shot kill percentage on thumbtacks.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine