Author Topic: Rebuild transmission, wait for epic failure, or buy new rig?  (Read 5820 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Rebuild transmission, wait for epic failure, or buy new rig?
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
I've got a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with automatic transmission and 4.7L V8.

When cold, the thing will experience delayed engagement of 1st gear and high RPM's with fractional power delivered to the rear axle.  After about 5 seconds of this or so, it will engage and drive normally.  Sometimes, if I come to a stop (such as at the mouth of my cul-de-sac) while the tranny is acting up, the engine will take a hard dive in RPMs and come close to stalling.

Reverse is completely unaffected... only 1st gear it seems.

I've enjoyed having no car payment for the last 16-18 months.  Been real nice.

However, I have seen the average fuel efficiency of this truck drop from about 17.5mpg to about 16mpg in the last 2-3 years.

I think the transmission is starting to slip, as well.  I was going up Highway 260 out of Payson... when new, this truck would not disengage the torque converter in cruise control on that hill.  Recently, it downshifted all the way to 2nd and did about 7000rpm to climb.  Very creepy.

Nowadays, I ride my motorcycle around a lot more than my truck.  Truck is for social occasions, taking the dog somewhere, or hauling stuff.  I can handle having my truck in the repair shop for a week or two to undergo a transmission overhaul.  No big deal.

But I want to TRUST my truck.  And I don't.

Should I have the transmission rebuilt?

Should I just let it go and make sure I have AAA?

Or should I go out and proactively replace it?  I really have a lust out for a Toyota FJ.  And it would be a more sociable rig in general, since my truck is a standard cab and holds only 2 people.  And it would be 4WD rather than 2WD like my current truck.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Rebuild transmission, wait for epic failure, or buy new rig?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »
Get a 4wd with a manual transmission  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
Miles?

2005 is not that old. I wouldn't be looking for a new car payment.

Price a trans rebuild.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Price out replacement (how long a warranty will you get) vs. repair (how long a warranty will you get?) vs. new Toyota FJ (how long a warranty will you get?).

What are the monthly payments on options A & B vs. new car payment?

In the past 2 years how often did you need the capacity of a truck bed to haul stuff, as opposed to the equivalent of stuffing it in the back end of a FJ?  How often in the next 5 years will you need the capacity of a truck bed (and how close to you is U-Haul or Home Depot/Lowes for 1-day rental)?

I know next to nothing about transmissions so am working off the theory that if it's broke it needs either replacement or repair, and that once I repair a major component that starts to go wonky I do not trust the rest of the components to not go wonky.  I do know that the one time I replaced a transmission the guys at AAMCO liked me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
Get a 4wd with a manual transmission  ;)

Good luck finding one, and manual trans aren't bulletproof.

I'd look into having either a new transmission put in (a heavier duty one if one will fit) or rebuild it with more durable parts.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »
I've had 2 automatic transmissions rebuilt. Both failed again within a year. I'm sure it can be done reliably, but I won't roll those dice again.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Good luck finding one, and manual trans aren't bulletproof.

I'd look into having either a new transmission put in (a heavier duty one if one will fit) or rebuild it with more durable parts.

Real men know how to use lockout hubs and clutches  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
Miles?

2005 is not that old. I wouldn't be looking for a new car payment.

Price a trans rebuild.

128,000 and change.

No, I definitely like NOT having a car payment.

I'm hearing $3000-$4000 for tranny rebuild.  Typical warranty I'm hearing is 1 year on the tranny work.

In the past 2 years how often did you need the capacity of a truck bed to haul stuff, as opposed to the equivalent of stuffing it in the back end of a FJ?  How often in the next 5 years will you need the capacity of a truck bed (and how close to you is U-Haul or Home Depot/Lowes for 1-day rental)?

I used the truck for a metric crapload of Appleseeding, camping/hunting trips, dog-hauling, yard waste hauling, friend-furniture-moving and all the other stuff trucks get used for. 

An implied cost of going to an FJ is buying a utility trailer.  I have one I can borrow from a friend as needed, but I'll ultimately end up buying one of my own anyways.  That's been on my to-do list ever since I got my XR600 dirtbike.

However, for a lot of the stuff above, I can still get by with the FJ's capacity without a trailer.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Automatic transmissions are the work of the commie, liberal, feminist, man hating devil devil.

When was the last time you had the tranny serviced? Drained, flushed, new filter.
My 92 Cherokee got to where it would actually slip on me in low gears. Drained it, new filter refilled with new premium fluid. No problems since and that was almost 10 years ago. Regular fluid changes since and no further problems.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »

AAMCO does good work and has a good warranty . . . provided you're driving a 2WD truck.

They will not offer the lifetime warranty for any 4WD vehicle.  Been burned too many times by the "hold my beer" crowd.

Several years ago we had an AWD Chrysler Town & Country van.  It developed issues with the front transfer case, CV, steering unit thingy, which required a number of attempts to get repaired right.  My wife lost faith in it, and we traded it in for a new Durango in 2004.  To be fair, the Durango has been very kind to us from a maintenance point of view (almost 200k miles with no major maint work).  However, about a year into the ungodly new car payments, the wife realized that no matter how many times we had to have that front end repaired, there was no way it would have cost us more, and we actually LIKED the van.  Best open road car we ever owned.

My advice, if the truck is in good shape otherwise, get the tranny fixed and add AAA to your wallet.  Seriously, you don't already have AAA?  You know, it only takes a single tow -- especially if it's from the boonies -- for that to pay for itself.

BTW, one of the things that can make your tranny act up is an accumulation of crud, a simple by-product of friction, in some of the pressure channels.  AAMCO locally pulled that piece on mine, blew out the crud, cleaned it up with solvent, and reinstalled it as part of the tranny flush a couple of years back, and the thing has run fine since.

Engine ran rough a couple of months ago.  Needed spark plugs, of all things (same engine you have).

Another thing that can mess with your power and gas mileage is the fuel injection system.  The feed lines can be cleaned or replaced and that can make a real difference.

And we STILL don't have a car payment.

Car payments are evil, and must be destroyed.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »
Automatic transmissions are the work of the commie, liberal, feminist, man hating devil devil.

When was the last time you had the tranny serviced? Drained, flushed, new filter.
My 92 Cherokee got to where it would actually slip on me in low gears. Drained it, new filter refilled with new premium fluid. No problems since and that was almost 10 years ago. Regular fluid changes since and no further problems.

This has been an intermittent problem ever since Pep Boys did my first tranny service, around 55k.  They put fracking GM tranny fluid in it (Dexron/Mercon III), instead of ATF4+.  Never acted right since... I was stumped for a couple hundred miles after the service and then looked at the work order and saw it said they put DMIII in the tranny.  I flushed it myself immediately, put new filters in, and refilled with proper fluid, then 10k miles later had a dealership repeat.  They even pulled codes that said "wrong tranny fluid".  

Last ATF change was around 90k, about 18 months or 2 years ago.  

Fluid levels are good.
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
Used Toyota 4x4 pickup, with removable camper shell ...?

=|

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
What kind of warranty does MOPAR give ?   Don't they have the lifetime powertrain warranty?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »
What kind of warranty does MOPAR give ?   Don't they have the lifetime powertrain warranty?

Nope, I got the truck about 90 days before they announced their 7 year, umpteen thousand mile warranty.

They sold it to me with 3/36k. :mad:

I won't be going back to MOPAR after this truck.  No Dodge or GM for me, going forward, due to bail outs.

Suspension has always been soft and weak on it, it's got a bit of wonk to a tie rod or strut up front where the thing squeaks when going over speedbumps or larger off-road obstacles, and I just in general don't have a lot of faith and love in it.

Front suspension I've replaced with bilsteins, rear suspension is currently OEM but already replaced once and saggy again.  Need to put bilsteins on the back too.  That's another $250 or so.

Has a city open differential in the rear, and 2WD only.  I've gotten it stuck a few times.  A selective rear will cost me about a grand to install.

I'm on my 2nd set of tires on this truck and have about 15k tread left on them.  About $1000 to replace tires.

And doing all this work to the truck over the next year would set me back a good $4000 to $6000.  Won't increase its trade-in value.  I won't see that money back.  And I could very easily have other drama with the truck in the form of engine problems, or something else.  And it won't increase my confidence in taking the truck anywhere far from home.
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »
It doesn't sound like you really like the pickup.

Get it warmed up good, and see if you can trade it on a good used 4x4  ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
What Tallpine said.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
Have a transmission shop hook the tranny up to a computer, might just a selenoid problem.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
I have no answers for you, but would appreciate knowing what it is if you find out. My Trooper with 110,000 just started doing a slight hesitation before engaging after being put in gear. Just every once in a while and usually when cold, but sounds similar to your issue (except I get full rather than partial power). The tranny is the only weak point in the Trooper. Everything else is made in Japan. The stinkin' tranny is French.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »
Out of curiousity have you ever changed the fluid and screen?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Two schools of thought:

Trade down to an older truck that is much easier to work on.  Early '80's or 70's 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.

Older 80's Toyota if you're okay with a smaller truck. 

Your next years worth of work on the dodge would probably net you good older truck to start with.

Or, a new or  newer truck with warranty. 

I do think that your current truck is telling you its on its last legs.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »
Brad, assuming you meant me since AZ indicated that he changed his. I've had it serviced every 30K. No Isuzu dealers around here since they don't sell Isuzus in the US anymore, but I have a trustworthy shop, so am pretty confident it's done right.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
May not be so bad as needing a rebuild. Seems Ma Mopar has a real problem keeping converters full when shut off for extended periods. The 545RFE isn't the only one of theirs to suffer this symptom although to different reasons.

Anyway the 545RFE has a cooler return filter inside the pan, looks pretty much like a common engine oil filter, in addition to the typical intake suction filter. It appears this filter can develop some sort of internal leak that allows the converter to drain on extended shut off periods, such as overnight, and it takes a while for the converter to prime after start-up. This in turn causes low internal pressures and the resulting delayed engagement until the converter does prime. TSB 21-016-05 (09/01/2005) RFE Transmission- Delayed Engagement after an Extended Off Period says you should check for a particular filter number (04799662AB) in 2005-06 Ram Pickups (and a host of other vehicles) and replace if equipped but I'm thinking that I'd throw a cooler return filter at it before I got too invested in the idea of a trans rebuild regardless of what filter was actually there. And as far as it being replaced on a service, I wouldn't assume so unless it was specifically called out on the receipt because it would cost extra so it's probably got whatever it left the factory with.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:52 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm an engine guy, not trans.

The reputation has been that Chrysler/Dodge/Ram transmissions were poor longevity for several decades now.

So what to do about it? As Charby mentioned, it might be as simple as a solenoid. But the description lends me to think the clutches are slipping. Could be hydraulics failing to deliver pressure, or could be the clutch prematurely wearing out. Flushing and replacing the transmission fluid (hydraulic fluid) might help on that front.

Could be none of those things because I'm not much for transmission diagnostics. Take it to a good shop and see if they can diagnose the cause.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:05:55 AM »

AAMCO.

The diagnostics are free.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »
Just as an FYI: do NOT replace the transmission yourself, unless you really enjoy suffering. It is hell.