Author Topic: Parents crushed by student loans taken out for their kids  (Read 6816 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Parents crushed by student loans taken out for their kids
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
I remember in the late nineties, a lot of the engineering schools and industry groups were quite butt-hurt over the Microsoft MCSE credential (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer).  They tried to get MS to remove the word "Engineer" from it, as they felt it demeaned their work and gave an overinflated sense of self worth to MCSE's who basically just right-clicked on stuff that was already pre-programmed by real software engineers and designed by real chip engineers.

I wonder how they feel about our L1 "System Engineers" manning the help desk?   =D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:09:13 PM by 41magsnub »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
An American licence qualifies you to take just a few courses to be licensed - there isn't really an equivalent of the bar exam here.  But I haven't done it and haven't needed to working on law reform.

Interesting.  A good friend of mine has a LLB from the UK and practiced malpractice defense in the UK for about 10 years.  She and her husband then moved to Seattle.  Her UK degree and experience made her eligible to sit for the Washington Bar.  She took a Bar exam course, passed it the first try and was admitted to practice in Washington.  The juries absolutely loved her British accent and I am convinced that this helped sway some juries to her side.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
Interesting.  A good friend of mine has a LLB from the UK and practiced malpractice defense in the UK for about 10 years.  She and her husband then moved to Seattle.  Her UK degree and experience made her eligible to sit for the Washington Bar.  She took a Bar exam course, passed it the first try and was admitted to practice in Washington.  The juries absolutely loved her British accent and I am convinced that this helped sway some juries to her side.

There's no question that juries love accents!  There aren't any civil juries here, so it's hard to gauge in dollar terms what that would amount to.

In this country there's no state to state barrier to practice.  It's one of the things they find most bizarre about our system. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »
There's no question that juries love accents! 

Gen'l'men and ladies of the ju-reee, have y'all reached a verdict ?  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin