Author Topic: Solar Roadways - Another farce  (Read 9365 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Solar Roadways - Another farce
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
Per the site testing shows that dirt tends to knock of about 11% of power generation.  Improper angling due to it being a road and not sloped is another 10% or so.

I've said it before - solar panels aren't so far over the affordability line that you can just give up 20%.  It'd only make sense if they developed some method that made the panels also do solar for essentially free.

Did the site testing have snow and ice?
What about a snowplow?

My argument is this, if it actually met their claims, why would they need kickstarter to raise money?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
There is no way those would survive a WI/MN winter- the ice would turn those glass tiles into glass chips.  :facepalm:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
Per the site testing shows that dirt tends to knock of about 11% of power generation.  Improper angling due to it being a road and not sloped is another 10% or so.

This brings up another issue; when the road needs to bank or slope northward, or when it's shaded from the south, do you waste money on even less effective solar, or have a surface type transition every time the road insolation characteristics change?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »

I've said it before - solar panels aren't so far over the affordability line that you can just give up 20%.  It'd only make sense if they developed some method that made the panels also do solar for essentially free.

10% loss to dirt?  :rofl: I suspect when office boys talk dirt they have an entirely different concept in mind than farmers or diesel mechanics. No, snowflake, that stuff on the floor of your dorm is not "dirt".  "Dirt" is not removed with a vacuum cleaner or a broom. "Dirt" is handled with a shovel, a scraper, and steam cleaning.....