Author Topic: Evidence of "Global Warming"  (Read 3745 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Evidence of "Global Warming"
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
Okay, this is warm (also, the volcano needs to be sued for its carbon footprint):

https://youtu.be/R2D23AlZmt8?t=23

I feel bad for people losing their stuff, but I had to laugh a little because of an article I read. Residents from the area were "demanding" answers on what was happening and what would be done. It's a freakin' volcano. It's the Earth telling us that we're puny. However, if you do want to bring it back to human terms and our penchant for cramming planetary timescales into human lifespans, there is a reason the land in that part of Hawaii is like half the price of anywhere else.

Which, to bring it back to my dig at global warming, is what the Earth tells us about our self-importance. Volcanoes will erupt over the next billion years. The temperature will change (sometimes drastically - ref: volcanoes, asteroids, etc.) over the next billion years. The planet, and the solar system for that matter, don't really care what humans think about it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Evidence of "Global Warming"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Residents from the area were "demanding" answers on what was happening and what would be done.

I have a theory; this really isn't new.  It's just that the pre-"civilized" administrations had enough sense to toss these people into the volcano and make up a story to justify it.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »
Hawaii was made because volcanoes erupted.  WTF do people think happened?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
Them: "The lava is eating my stuff. Do something!"

Me: "It's a volcano. You built your house on the flanks of an active volcano. What do you expect."

Them: "Yeah, but DO SOMETHING!"

Me: ...sets up time lapse camera and reactivates YouTube account...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
R2D2 NOOOOO!!!!!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
People just gotta go with the flow. When the flow is go you gotta go!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
Fox news showed a clip of a lava flow approaching a metal fence,  the kind usually used to keep cattle from straying.  I admit a fleeting ridiculous thought; "anyone thinking THAT is gonna stop a lava flow is nucking futs!"

It really didn't seriously occur to me there really were people who actually believed we COULD stop a volcano! [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
Didn't Tommy Lee Jones manage it with Jersey barriers in LA a few years ago?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
And a BUILDING!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
If Hawaii were a part of Italy, volcanologists there would be at risk of arrest, prosecution, and imprisonment for failing to predict with 100% accuracy the time, direction, and volume of all lava flows, the timing and magnitude of earth tremors, and the venting of toxic gasses.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »

I feel bad for people losing their stuff, but I had to laugh a little because of an article I read. Residents from the area were "demanding" answers on what was happening and what would be done. It's a freakin' volcano.

I was at the doctor the other day, and they had a television on.  Video of a guy being interviewed about the volcano, complaining because no one told him that this would happen when he bought his house, and someone needs to be held accountable for the fact that his neighborhood is, well, gone.  Nurse and I were both laughing at that one. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on humanity's impact on the earth, universe and everything else.

Volcano gives no shits about dust specks.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on humanity's impact on the earth, universe and everything else.

Volcano gives no shits about dust specks.

One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes....

(Well, they're all my favorites. Mr. Watterson had a very unique perspective.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
One of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes....

(Well, they're all my favorites. Mr. Watterson had a very unique perspective.)
I thought I heard he was a philosophy guy and most of the comics addressed some philosophical issue of one kind or another.  Either way, they were usually good reading.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
Hey CNN - now do climate change.  :rofl:

This latest volcanic activity in HI is becoming the poster child for my whole "the planet doesn't notice you, puny humans" spiel. Maybe I don't remember, but I don't recall this dumbshit "control the lava" stuff in previous instances in HI. People mostly just ran away, because, lava. The whole "stop climate change" nonsense has really bled over to make people stupid in many other areas.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/05/09/cnn-gets-mocked-over-explainer-on-why-people-cant-stop-lava/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
Them: "The lava is eating my stuff. Do something!"

Me: "It's a volcano. You built your house on the flanks of an active volcano. What do you expect."

Them: "Yeah, but DO SOMETHING!"

Me: ...sets up time lapse camera and reactivates YouTube account...

Brad

That.
There are roughly 3.7 million sq miles in the US to build a house and live on, most of which isn't next to an active volcano.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
That.
There are roughly 3.7 million sq miles in the US to build a house and live on, most of which isn't next to an active volcano.

I say that about the people who build $1 million homes 200 feet from the boundary of largest portion of the Earth, which happens to be a three dimensional body of dynamic fluid, then complain when it fluctuates 0.0000000000001% and destroys their home.

griz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »
(In my best post Katrina voice) The real problem is because Trump doesn't care about Hawaiians.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »

This latest volcanic activity in HI is becoming the poster child for my whole "the planet doesn't notice you, puny humans" spiel. Maybe I don't remember, but I don't recall this dumbshit "control the lava" stuff in previous instances in HI. People mostly just ran away, because, lava. The whole "stop climate change" nonsense has really bled over to make people stupid in many other areas.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/05/09/cnn-gets-mocked-over-explainer-on-why-people-cant-stop-lava/
I figure last time the lava didn't hit those people's neighborhood. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
Mother Earth should be forgiven for urping and farting now and then.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 08:17:03 PM »
I have a theory; this really isn't new.  It's just that the pre-"civilized" administrations had enough sense to toss these people into the volcano and make up a story to justify it.

See, that's the problem.  They should have been throwing 6 virgins libtards a month in the volcano since humans began living in HI.  That's why the volcano is erupting.  He's pissed that no one has been feeding him.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 11:25:24 PM »

Comment:

Maybe if they try yelling "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL"

:lol:  :lol:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »
On the plus side of Pele reminding Hawaiians who's in charge, we were planning on eloping to Maui in September. Hopefully this'll drive down prices of flights and the hotel.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
While we marvel at thag volcano, it’s worth considering that the amount of material pumped into the air by human beings every year absolutely dwarfs that from volcanic activity.

We may feel puny, but our industrial operation works on a scale that is not.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."