Author Topic: The back story of Hot Dish  (Read 2393 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The back story of Hot Dish
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:24:53 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/dining/amy-klobuchar-hotdish.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I had actually heard of and eaten hot dish before, thanks to neighbors from Minneapolis. Some of the variations described in the article sound pretty good.  You also see a ton of recipes for similar dishes out West in the LDS community church cookbooks.   

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The back story of Hot Dish
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 09:34:23 AM »
Create your free account to log in and continue reading!

That's a hot no.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
Like usual, the account filter doesn't hit everyone.  I was able to skim through it.  An article concerned about Klobuchar server Minnesota "hot dish" to Iowans who are accustomed to casseroles.  I don't care.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »
“I’ve gotten good at the recipe,” she said. “I have seven kids, so I can cook.”

Terry drums fingers on table, waiting for someone to tackle that remark.

My favorite pot luck recipe used to be a bunch of cocktail franks immersed in lentil soup.  Very simple, very easy, well-received, delicious, but it never got me elected to public office.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
I thought hot dish just meant casserole.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
Minnesota version of a cream of mushroom casserole? Or a substandard mimic of a Shepherds Pie?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
Pic looks like tater tot casserole.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 05:16:25 PM »
While I hate casserole, or most of them, with a burning, fiery passion, this recipe intrigues me. I think I'll try it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 07:15:24 PM »
And here I thought we were gonna be treated to some hot nekkid women. :facepalm: :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 09:58:07 PM »
I thought hot dish just meant casserole.

Considering the variety of recipes and ingredients that seem to qualify as "hot dish," I'd say you are correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 12:34:38 AM »
And here I thought we were gonna be treated to some hot nekkid women. :facepalm: :angel:

My mind went to Asian "Hot Pot". 

This is way more boring.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
While I hate casserole, or most of them, with a burning, fiery passion, this recipe intrigues me. I think I'll try it.

You hate lasagna? After all, it's just "pasta casserole".  :laugh:

I grew up on casseroles. If there weren't at least two at a meal, it wasn't a meal. If you have the chance to get some form of Church Ladies Group cookbook for sale, especially an older one, buy it. Casseroles in endless variety, both main dish and side, that are time- and family-tested. There's the occasional "WTF? entry but most are delicious. They're usually cost-effective and easy to make, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
^^^Some of the best cookbooks I have ever bought are church, community or local fund-raiser cookbooks.  People usually submit their best/most popular recipes, and you are pretty sure they are going to work.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
You hate lasagna? After all, it's just "pasta casserole".  :laugh:

I flippin' hate lasagna, as everyone should.

But you'll notice I said "most casseroles."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:40:42 PM »

Don't like the noodles in casseroles? There are a few I don't for because they are really salty from the canned ingredients.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 11:45:21 PM »
Don't like the noodles in casseroles? There are a few I don't for because they are really salty from the canned ingredients.

With lasagna, it's a combination of things that are either bland, or that I just don't like. Probably, if I came across a version w/o ricotta or parmesan, and with some spices to liven up the blandness of the tomato and pasta, I might like it. On an airplane, of all places, I had lasagna w/ pepperoni slices on top, and it's the best lasagna I've ever had. Then again, I was about 12 at the time, so pepperoni was my favorite food.

I can't say exactly what it is about casserole. My wife makes a hash brown casserole that's good, and I like strata, if that counts.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 12:54:11 AM »
With lasagna, it's a combination of things that are either bland, or that I just don't like. Probably, if I came across a version w/o ricotta or parmesan, and with some spices to liven up the blandness of the tomato and pasta, I might like it. On an airplane, of all places, I had lasagna w/ pepperoni slices on top, and it's the best lasagna I've ever had. Then again, I was about 12 at the time, so pepperoni was my favorite food.

I can't say exactly what it is about casserole. My wife makes a hash brown casserole that's good, and I like strata, if that counts.

I make something like this quite often for church potlucks: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sour-cream-noodle-bake/  But not exactly like that; that's just the inspiration.  The effect is lasagna, but it's easier to make and easier to serve.  I brown the meat and add a jar of spaghetti sauce and a little oregano and red pepper flakes.  For the cheese, I use cottage cheese mixed with [real] sour cream and onion dip, and some black pepper.  And I use bowtie pasta instead of egg noodles.  No cheddar cheese, just a sprinkling of mozzarella on top and not much of that.  First a layer of noodles and cheese in a 4 liter (10x14?) pyrex baking dish, then a layer of meat sauce.  Repeat.  Sprinkle a little mozz on top just to make it look finished, and bake.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 07:59:58 AM »

Always suspected that you were a commie, but that just seals it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »

I prefer ziti over lasagna because ziti is made with Italian sausage which adds a lot of flavor.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 09:10:05 AM »
Maybe they just make crappy lasagna in Misery? I don't have lasagna a lot, but I've had more good and flavorful lasagna than bland. Even the Costco take and bake is pretty good, though I will add seasoning to it for a little extra kick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 09:20:59 AM »
Maybe they just make crappy lasagna in Misery? I don't have lasagna a lot, but I've had more good and flavorful lasagna than bland. Even the Costco take and bake is pretty good, though I will add seasoning to it for a little extra kick.

Might want to rethink Costco, 95% of their political donations goes to democrat candidates.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals.php?id=D000000703&cycle=2020

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
Might want to rethink Costco, 95% of their political donations goes to democrat candidates.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals.php?id=D000000703&cycle=2020

We've had this convo here before. I've stated that i know where Costco's politics lie, but they don't throw it in my face or tell me they don't want my business, so I do business with them. If I only shopped at conservative leaning places for my goods and services, I'd never get any rest what with driving out of my way to get to them. Just like Chick-Fil-A is happy to serve people they don't agree with politically.

Plus I don't know why you're bringing Costco up with me like it's something new. I literally mention them in like every third post I make here.  :laugh:

Also, I have Costco stock that I bought at $60. They can have Bernie signs all over the store and I'll still say, "Thanks Costco!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »
I prefer ziti over lasagna because ziti is made with Italian sausage which adds a lot of flavor.

I put sausage in my lasagna.  It's awesome.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
I put sausage in my lasagna.  It's awesome.

If you don't have Italian sausage, just use breakfast sausage and add fennel seeds.  And maybe some red pepper flakes, but fennel is the only thing that's essential.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
Plus I don't know why you're bringing Costco up with me like it's something new. I literally mention them in like every third post I make here.  :laugh:

I just learned about Costco stance the other day, we are having a meltdown debate in my state that one of the statewide grocery stores (that is employee owned) is pro GOP (and anti union) because of a $25K donation (from a grocery PAC) to a GOP event to persuade them to consider doing something about high cost of prescription drugs. One leftist twit kept spouting off about how Costco is a leftist company.

Uranus is a gas giant.