Author Topic: Late night ramble about earning a living  (Read 8348 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Late night ramble about earning a living
« on: August 02, 2005, 06:38:07 PM »
So I'm winding down from the day, and on the Travel Channel there's this special on trucks and truck driving (as in 18 wheelers) in America.
All these folks talking about how they LOVE what they do, recounting the virtues of seeing the sun rise in one state and set in another...

The other day, I'm seeing this Pat Croce thing about some woman who's really unhappy about having to do housework, since she says she is not very good at it and can AVERAGE 300k/year as a software consultant/VP of IT development.  She mentioned there were years she had made a half million in a year.

I'm looking around my area...BEAUTIFUL part of the country.   Southern, rural, lake area, hunting/fishing/boating paradise.
Nothing you'd be proud to OWN house-wise on the lake goes for less than 250-300k.

I make 50k/year and maybe another couple thou on the side cleaning computer viruses.  The wife brings in another 10-15k a year doing whatever suits her part-time.

Grass is always greener.  I'm in the throes of knee surgery recovery, cabin fever, too much TV and too much time to think.

But it seems like there can't possibly be THAT many doctors, lawyers, and C-level execs to fill up all these high-dollar houses on the lake.

I'm trying to save for a downpayment for a house, and yep, the 401k is funded and some bucks go into the company discount stock plan.  But I come up dry at the end of almost every month!  Geez, we drive old/paid-for cars, rent videos at home, and it just runs out like sand through a screen.

I'm really not such a hopeless whiner.  I guess it's just a phase I'm going through, wanting to be able to look at my life with satisfaction and fulfillment.
Got great kids, a great wife, just no money and not much fun.  Maybe I need another hobby?  Become a travel writer or ferry RV's across the country for some big dealership or make a couple of big coke runs from Miami to Peoria in my hopelessly suburban minivan and write a best-seller about it, or buy a piece of land (can be had cheap down here) and build a hay-bale house or a teepee kit or and underground house or...or...Dios mio, I'm going to bed.

Anyone have pithy wisdom to share that will ease my middle-aged, middle-income mediocrity-induced angst?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 07:05:58 PM »
I think you've already hit the nail on the head with the phrase "The grass is always greener..."

In my days of toiling in the Bloodmines of Boulder (biotech), I would think longingly of working in IT.  No standing on concrete floors for 10-14 hours a day, no burns from exposed steam lines, no exposure to nasty chemicals that burn or sufficate, etc etc etc.

Now that I'm in IT, I sometimes long for the days in the Bloodmines, recalling fondly the camaraderie with the coworkers, the challenge of manually running pH and air control when the exhaust filters on the bioreacor plugged up, the thrill of working on the cutting edge of technology.

Then I dream about working in the Bloodmines, or otherwise come to my senses.  Sure, crashing domain controllers don't have the visceral excitement of watching 1000 lbs of stainless steel spinning at 7500 rpm become unbalanced and attempt to wrench itself out of the floor for a short stroll, but flacky routers don't bathe one in 30% ammonium hydroxide either.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Greg Levy

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 07:23:32 PM »
Felonious, it all comes down to one, simple thing:  You aren't willing enough to go far enough into debt to appear successful.  

Quote:
But it seems like there can't possibly be THAT many doctors, lawyers, and C-level execs to fill up all these high-dollar houses on the lake.

And there aren't!  Around here, where the main employer is the USN and Puget Sound Shipyard, 90% of the new housing developments that are going in are 2500SF, 4 car garage monstrocities, starting at around 400K.  Now, working for The Yard, and having BEEN a sailor, I know what both groups make, and I KNOW there is no real market around here for 400K houses...but they are still selling!

They are selling to folks who hope that with the way the Real Estate Markwet is going, if they can scrimp and save, and make mortgage payments for a year, then their 400K house will be worth 500K, and they can sell and make money off the deal.  Sooner or later, some very unlucky folks are going to get stuck with a lot of houses they CAN't afford.

Take me for instance: bought a house alst September.  Did all math and decided that $1200-1300 a month was what I could afford.  Translated to a 180K-200K house.

When we went in and started talking to Mortgage Brokers and Real Estate Agents...they took one look at my debt to income ratio and started trying to talk me into a $300,000 house...no matter that I didn't think there was anyway in Heck I could afford the 1800-1900 a month that would have resulted from that purchase.

Anyway...

You are doing things the right way, with the 401K maxed out and the stock options.  It might not always be the exciting way, but it is the Right Way.  

greg

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 01:15:58 AM »
priv8ter nailed it.

We have the same situation here in Northern Va.  Lots of folks are relying on interest only loans to get by until their house appreciates some and they can trade up.  Not me, I bought low and will stay in this house until I leave the area or win the lottery (which means I'll likely leave anyway).  At least my wife gets to stay at home with our daughter (something she wants to do as well).

Chris

BobCat

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 05:15:00 AM »
Ok, please excuse all the capital letters - I'm not shouting, just too lazy to re-key the whole thing.  It is a forward of an e-mail, as it was sent to me.  Maybe it will help with perspective.

Regards,
Andrew

FOR THE WIFE
WHO SAYS IT'S HOT DOGS TONIGHT,
BECAUSE SHE IS HOME WITH ME,
AND NOT OUT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

FOR THE HUSBAND
WHO IS ON THE SOFA
BEING A COUCH POTATO,
BECAUSE HE IS HOME WITH ME
AND NOT OUT AT THE BARS.

FOR THE TEENAGER
WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING DISHES
BECAUSE THAT MEANS SHE IS AT HOME,
NOT ON THE STREETS.

FOR THE TAXES
THAT I PAY
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT
I AM EMPLOYED.

FOR THE MESS
TO CLEAN AFTER A PARTY
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I HAVE
BEEN SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS.

FOR THE CLOTHES
THAT FIT A LITTLE TOO SNUG BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT.

FOR MY SHADOW
THAT WATCHES ME WORK
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I AM OUT IN THE SUNSHINE.

FOR A LAWN
THAT NEEDS MOWING,
WINDOWS THAT NEED CLEANING,
AND GUTTERS THAT NEED FIXING

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME.

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING
I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT
WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

FOR THE PARKING SPOT
I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT
BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING
AND THAT I HAVE BEEN
BLESSED WITH TRANSPORTATION.

FOR MY HUGE HEATING BILL
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I AM WARM.

FOR THE LADY
BEHIND ME IN CHURCH
THAT SINGS OFF KEY
BECAUSE IT MEANS
THAT I CAN HEAR.

FOR THE PILE
OF LAUNDR! Y AND IRONING
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR WEARINESS
AND ACHING MUSCLES
AT THE END OF THE DAY
BECAUSE IT MEANS
I HAVE BEEN
CAPABLE OF WORKING HARD.

FOR THE ALARM
THAT GOES OFF
IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS
BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT I AM ALIVE.

AND FINALLY.
FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL
BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME.

SEND THIS TO SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT.

I JUST DID.

Chris

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 06:03:11 AM »
Well, I am a lawyer.  Assistant Prosecuting Attorney.  Public records laws being what they are means that anyone knowing who I am and where I work can ask the right people and learn I make $65,000 a year.  Wife is a lawyer, works for a major insurance company doing liability investigation, and makes around $40,000.  That would seem to make us a candidate for the lake house, but we're both in debt.  NOt due to luxury cars (a Dodge Interpid and a mini-van), or the big house (We paid about $130,000 for it).  Nope, it's the law school debts.  In total, the two of us owed about $200,000 for law school expenses, bar exam costs, etc.  Imagine payiong two mortgages a month.

And, add to that two kids, the costs of those kids, daycare that's worth a darn, and you can watch our money fly out the window.

This is why I like 9mm so much.  I can afford a box or two every couple of months...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 06:54:48 AM »
Well just wait in a few years those deep in debt folks will get their butts in a sling over a house they can't afford and us who live with in our means will be sitting on top. My friends who are brokers, bankers and realestate agents are telling me the time is comming, the average income and the average house price doesn't fit to well together and it will all crash down the road, when they don't know but it will. Just look at car companies, they are doing pretty much whatever it takes to sell cars, family discounts, low apr on loans, cash back rebates, etc. Pretty soon it will trickle over to the housing sector.

Oh yeah, grass does look greener on the other side, but thats just crab grass and water grass that hasn't browned from the lack of water. Been there done that, I think I'd rather live more secure with little pocessions than be in debt to my eyeballs.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 07:31:53 AM »
+1 for Priv8ter, the grass is greener because they are paying someone to come in twice a week with new grass. Most of them are one paycheck away from living in a van down by the river.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 08:31:11 AM »
Our generation is going to be screwed come retirement time.  IMHO, these people are owning a home for 5-10 years, getting some equity, and then finanicning the biggest baddest house they can, sometimes on a 'flex loan' or Interest only loan.  Come retirement time, these suckers will realize that $2000 a month house payments don't jive well with fixed income retirement.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 08:43:09 AM »
Yup.  Nobody's interested in paying off a house, just getting a bigger one.  

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 08:59:26 AM »
CAS, feel your pain, took me 7 years to pay them off, but I'm a single guy with no kids, thus I have a bit more control over the treasury.

Chris, not true, I am, but I'm moving soon and need to pay it down!  Mortgage is enemy.  Destroy the enemy!

FF, it can always be WORSE.  You'll do great.  Remember, this is America, the money is out there!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

...has left the building.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 09:37:15 AM »
Anyone have pithy wisdom to share that will ease my middle-aged, middle-income mediocrity-induced angst?
Kind of weird because I was listening to the song "Simple Man" when I clicked on the thread. All Americans are rich on a relative scale. True wealth lies in the people around you, the relationships you forge with them and the kind of man you are. You're already rich brotha, "Got great kids, a great wife, just no money and not much fun." You don't need cash to have fun; good conversation w/ your wife, playing outside with the kids (when your knee heals), etc. Creativity and interaction are far more entertaining to me than "events" such as going on lavish vacations or buying Super Bowl tickets.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »
Trust me, most of the people who look like they've "made it" haven't. As a real estate agent I am privy to a lot of people's financial info. In general, the people with the biggest houses, most expensive cars, and flashiest jewelry actually own nothing. They are mortgaged to the eyeballs, and owe tens of thousands in credit card debt. Plus, they usually have little savings other than a company 401K or maybe some outside investments. Their net value (their debts less their assets) is WAY in the red. Yes, they might have a 300K house, drive two new Suburbans, and have a boat, but their net value could easily be two- or three-hundred thousand in the red. As pointed out above, most of them are only one paycheck away from poverty. Let one of them lose a job or get sick, and everything they have will go *POOF*.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I have have a 25 year old 1600 sq ft 3 bedroom home in an average neighborhood, I drive a modest 4 year old car (Crown Victoria) and have scrimped, saved, and invested so that I can A) be as close to debt-free as possible, and B) can retire while I am still young and active enough to enjoy it. I just added up my total debt. Everything - mortgage, car, and credit card balances - adds up to barely $17,000. Reduce that out of my assets and my net value is well over $100,000. Compared to 99.9% of society I am in GREAT shape, but it still gives me the screaming willies to be in debt at all.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 09:43:19 AM »
El T, I was mainly commenting on folks here in NoVa.  People actually call houses "5 year houses" with a straight face.  That means they buy the house with the intention of "trading up" within 5 years as if they must maintain a certain level of debt.

That said, however, a friend of mine did use the considerable appreciation on his house to pay cash for his current one in WV (with land and a pool as well).  Unfortunately, his company screwed him and decided to NOT let him telecommute 3 weeks out of the month like they originally promised.  He's now saddled with a 2+ hour commute each way.

Chris

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 10:06:57 AM »
cas, I hear you, I'm in the same boat, but fortunately I don't have any kids thrown into the mix.  Something about having student loan debt several times the size of my annual income had an effect on my credit card interest rates as well.  Am I the only one who's ever made one or two late payments (over a period of several years) on cards that I had for 5-10 years and had interest rates jacked up to nearly 30%?  There are a lot of credit card company and student loan people that will burn in my hell.
For entertainment purposes only.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 11:46:24 AM »
Thanks to each of you for helping me put things in perspective.  

I am very blessed, yet happiness is elusive.  
Everyone fights their own battles; I'd rather have a good foundation and middle-class trappings than a pretty facade and tattered family dynamics.  Few can truly achieve both; I guess that's the reference to the camel and the eye of the needle.

Peace for today.  One breath at a time.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 11:53:55 AM »
I would highly recommend the book The Millionaire Next Door.  the authors went and interviewed many millionaires in America.  They discovered that contrary to popular opinion a millionaire does not live in a big expensive house and drive the latest luxury car.  On the contrary most of them live in middle class areas and drive 5 year old American mades.  They are also intense savers and investors.  
My favorite story involves a seminar they gave for decamillionaires (net worth over $10M).  They staged them at fancy hotel meeting rooms and they had fine wine and pate and stuff--what they thought millionaires would want.
The first guy made tons of money on commercial real estate around NYC.  He came in and they offered him some fancy Beaujolais.  He told them he didnt drink much wine.  He drank Scotch and two kinds of beer: Budweiser and Free!
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 12:34:55 PM »
Sometimes I feel the same way.  People who visit us probably think we're poverty stricken.  Old house, still needing work, my truck is 13 years old, my wife drives a 1997 Taurus.

But on the bright side, our old house and farm are a lifetime project.  We sold our tri-level in the suburbs because we liked this place so much.  Our vehicles are well maintained and paid for.  We have NO credit card debt, and our house will be paid off in about seven years (thirteen years early).  I have a nice collection of guns, and nice collection of John Deere tractors.

The way I look at the 6,000 square foot houses my neighbors have, somebody has to heat, cool, and clean all that space.  Plus, they're all on tiny lots.  I think I enjoy my 35 acres of river bottom more than I would enjoy a huge house and tiny yard.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 12:42:20 PM »
I was born during the Great Depression and was raised on stories of the hard times.  That gets you into a mindset that truly differentiates between what is actually needed, and that which is nice but not truly necessary.

When I first married, back in 1961, we didn't have the proverbial pot nor window.  Yet, we had just as much fun then as later on when the billfold got fatter.  Heck, maybeso even more!  We just "made do" and went on down the road...

I've fought hard against frou-frou debt.  If I could see a profit, I was happy to use debt as a tool.  But I've never casually used the credit card but for on-the-road expenses.  

If the money doesn't last, if there's "too much month at the end of the money", the advice has been around for longer than I have:  Work out a budget.  Separate "gotta pay" expenses from "walking around spending".

And stay in that sucker 'til you're outta debt.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 01:42:11 PM »
A couple of years ago I did a website for a title insurance company. On the site is a form that mortgage brokers can use to order the title insurance online. The information goes to the title insurance company (obviously), but also to me, just so I can make sure the hosting company isn't screwing things up, as they often do.

Anyway, I see how much people are refinancing their homes for. It's frightening how many people are borrowing close to the full value of their homes. The median price for a house here in Milwaukee is about $150,000 or so. I see many refinances come through at $125,000.

Out in the suburbs there are some $300,000 to $700,000 homes. The other day I saw a refinance come through for over $500,000.

It made me sick last year to have to do a refinance on our house, but the amount was modest, and our principal balance is still less than the price of many new cars.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »
Art,

I guess that's where I got it.  My dad's parents left the drylands in about 1934 to find work.  (My dad was born in 1927)

Dad hit this town in 1948 with a 19 year old pregnant wife in tow.  He had a 1935 Ford and enough savings to buy a ten foot house trailer.  He found work at the steel mill intending to work the summer and go back to college in Boulder.  Never happened.  He worked at the steel mill for 35 years, built three of his own houses, raised five kids, and always scrimped and saved.  Always budgeted every penny, and mom never had to work.  The depression taught him that.

He never made a car or house payment in his life.  He once borrowed $2500 to buy five acres, but paid it off quickly.  The kids I went to school with thought we were rich, because we lived in a big fancy house.  But dad paid for every board and brick using profits from his first two houses, and built it himself.  When he finished it, he owned it.

He bought his first ever brand new pickup in 1985, when he was 58 years old, and a new van a couple of years later.  He has since sworn off of new vehicles (they still have the pickup and van, along with a 1999 Lincoln).

Point is, just by hard work and smart money management, my parents are mildly wealthy people now.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »
My expererience kind of folds in with Art's.  I'm about a decade younger so I'm more of the generation that was influenced by those who experienced the Depression.  Everything I did had "security" in mind.  I started out my real working days in law enforcement for the security that it brought regarding steady pay, no layoffs, some family security in pension and other public benefits.  That doesn't mean that I didn't do foolish things and stick my neck out once in awhile.  Risk is the prime rib of life.

I left LE to become a peddler, a seller of insurance products.  Talk about a change.  You eat only if you sell.  But that was a motivator, to make me do what I needed to do to prosper.  I didscovered that some risk taking and self motivation brought some rewards; more possessions and a better lifestyle.

But as I grew older I began to see that those folks that I thought were worthy of my envy, (I've never really envied anyone, actually, but I needed some kind of descriptive adjective)  had many of the same problems that I did, sometimes evern more.  I discovered that my possessions were not what they seemed.  I learned that reaching a goal sometimes did not provide the satisfaction that I thought that it would.  I came to understand the relativity of ones position.  At some point one needs to look around and realize that one is really blessed in many ways, but we don't stop long enough to realize it.

I think that those folks who are the eternal optimists, always happy, successful, having many possessions often seem to get slapped in the face with reality.  It seems that their fall is much longer and the landing much harder than for those folks who valued their families, their friends, who might be considered to have litte.

In my view, real happiness is more of a spiritual thing, fed and nurtured by a firm conviction in the fact that I am a unique created being, loved and looked after by my Creator.  I stumbled across an Old Testament writing in the Book of Jeremiah that became one of my favorite sayings that when I'm blue about something, tends to buck me up.  17th Chapter, verses 5-8 if anyone is interested.

I think each person sort of gravitates toward what makes them content.  Happiness is an elusive thing that none of us really caputres, imho.  Like fairness, what the heck is happiness anyway?  One man's castle is another man's prison.  I know a guy who lives in a 5000 sq ft home with an indoor pool etc etc and 10 million bucks invested safely.  But, he very rarely is able to get out of bed because of a serious back problem that is not fixable.  Contentedness is a better place to be.  It always allows the acceptance of what we have tempered by the knowledge that we could improve our lot if we really wanted to, but knowing that we really don't have to.

Just my $.02.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 03:08:06 PM »
I find myself amazed at how dead-on you are with your observations, grampster. Thanks.

FYI --
Jeremiah 17:5-8:  Thus says the LORD, "Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind And makes flesh his strength, And whose heart turns away from the LORD.
Jer 17:6      "For he will be like a bush in the desert And will not see when prosperity comes, But will live in stony wastes in the wilderness, A land of salt without inhabitant.
Jer 17:7      "Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD.
Jer 17:8      "For he will be like a tree planted by the water, That extends its roots by a stream And will not fear when the heat comes; But its leaves will be green, And it will not be anxious in a year of drought Nor cease to yield fruit.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 04:06:58 PM »
I'm raising kids completely by myself, including financially. There hasn't been a month in years that I haven't had to figure out to pay something that wasn't in the budget (broken car, broken furnance, broken collarbone.)  Large mortgages and car payments really aren't even an option at this point in my life.

Ah, well..the trade off was worth it. If I died tomorrow, I'd still say I got my money's worth of life. Smiley

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 04:22:20 PM »
So, I guess my advice is to get out of school with a good education, take a decent paying job, buy a modest house out in the country, pay off the stuent loans, and not buy myself that Colt M16 or Dodge Viper as a graduation gift?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'