Author Topic: Colt suspending production of AR-15 for civilians  (Read 3433 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Colt suspending production of AR-15 for civilians
« on: September 19, 2019, 05:19:58 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/colt-suspending-production-of-ar-15-for-civilians

The venerable gun manufacturer Colt is suspending production of the popular and controversial AR-15 and other long rifles for civilian use, as lawmakers continue the fraught gun debate following a series of mass shootings.

The company's president and chief executive, Dennis Veilleux, said that the consumer market has "experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity," and that Colt believes there are enough rifles on the market for the foreseeable future.

Colt will instead focus on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts.

Veilleux reaffirmed the Connecticut-based company's commitment to the consumer market and the Second Amendment. He said Colt would still supply revolvers and pistols and is expanding its network of dealers.

"Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world," he said.

When I first heard this, I was thinking this was an anti-gun stance by Colt due to outside pressure.  That could still be true, but they aren't saying that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Colt suspending production of AR-15 for civilians
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
Didn't they do this once before some years ago for similar reasons? And by similar reasons, I mean caving in to anti-gun activism.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:03:27 PM »
One story I read said they considered the distribution pipelines oversaturated and they didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of unsold production. They were suspending production to deplete stagnant inventory, using production capabilities in other ways until it's financially justifiable to resume AR production.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 06:05:52 PM »
The reality is that Colt doesn't have any civilian production to suspend.

I've toured the colt factory twice in recent years. It's a huge building, and it's divided by a heavy-gauge chain link fence the runs floor to roof. One side is where they make the handguns they sell to us peons. The other side is where Colts Defense makes the M16s and M4s for the military. There is no AR-15 production on the commercial side -- that's all handguns. The "modern sporting rifles" are [were] all made on the Colts Defense side, right along with the M16s and M4s, and then internally transferred from Colts Defense to whatever they call the commercial operation today.

So, when they say they're suspending production, what they mean is they're not going to divert any guns from the military channel to the commercial channel until further notice. It makes sense. Colt AR-15s really aren't any better than a half dozen or dozen competing brands, all of which sell for less money. They can't compete, so why expend resources trying?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »
One story I read said they considered the distribution pipelines oversaturated and they didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of unsold production. They were suspending production to deplete stagnant inventory, using production capabilities in other ways until it's financially justifiable to resume AR production.

Brad

Yes, I saw the quote from the Colt spokesman saying essentially that. The MSM has of course, picked it up as a "Beto won" thing.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
Well,  I have mine, so ..... [popcorn]   :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
"Long rifles"  ;/

Isn't it about time for someone to buy Colts' AR and 1911 operations? Those are iconic, American firearms that Colt's has been allowed to dominate for no good reason. Let them keep their crummy, second-rate revolver operation (Colt's was never more than a dress rehearsal for Remington's and S&W's superior revolvers).

OK, yeah, that last point's an exaggeration, but not by much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:33 PM »
Market is too full of better options for less, I don't really blame them.  Maybe do a limited run occasionally for the collectors and charge a bundle for those that can't live without a pony on the lower.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
NBC news article quote below. I'm not sure if NBC changed his words, or if the Colt CEO is so dumb that he says he's making AR-15s for the military. This conflating AR-15s with actual military weapons is a big problem already. We don't need the manufacturers adding fuel to the fire.

Veilleux said his company will continue to make and sell AR-15s for "our warfighters and law enforcement personnel" who "continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/colt-will-stop-making-ar-15s-for-civilian-sale-says-theres-already-plenty-on-market/ar-AAHyc9Q
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »
NBC news article quote below. I'm not sure if NBC changed his words, or if the Colt CEO is so dumb that he says he's making AR-15s for the military. This conflating AR-15s with actual military weapons is a big problem already. We don't need the manufacturers adding fuel to the fire.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/colt-will-stop-making-ar-15s-for-civilian-sale-says-theres-already-plenty-on-market/ar-AAHyc9Q

Given that the term "AR-15" is not within the quotation marks, I believe that this is the writer's interpretation.  I'd bet the CEO said something about along the lines of "Colt will still make rifles for our warfighters and law enforcement personnel" and the writer changed it since AR-15 is a hot-button term these days.

If I recall correctly, Colt has been having financial issues for quite a while.  Dropping a product from their line which, frankly, isn't a huge money maker for Colt, is likely a financial move.  Now, I wouldn't put it past the Board of Directors to generate this media blast crafted so that it seems to support 2A and also appease the "buy em back" crowd. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »

If I recall correctly, Colt has been having financial issues for quite a while.  Dropping a product from their line which, frankly, isn't a huge money maker for Colt, is likely a financial move. 

I still agree with that, and believe that's Colt's real motive. I mean, when I was looking at ARs, I never even considered Colt, and that's not from any Colt hate, just from the fact that there are so many other choices out there.

The word salad about it is getting ridiculous though.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »
The word salad about it is getting ridiculous though.

I'm afraid that is a sign of the times, from POTUS to the Dem debates down to a recent "meet the candidate" night for local city counsel and mayoral candidates, everyone carefully says everything so that they really say nothing.  They drone on and on about an issue, if given the opportunity, and end up saying nothing substantial so as to avoid alienating...anyone.  I almost...not really, but almost... respect Beto for coming out and saying that he's all for confiscating firearms.  At least he took a stand and admitted out loud with no reservation what he would do.  Not very politician of him.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
Meh. Colt rifles are far behind a few commercial makers in terms of tech and and quality.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
I'm afraid that is a sign of the times, from POTUS to the Dem debates down to a recent "meet the candidate" night for local city counsel and mayoral candidates, everyone carefully says everything so that they really say nothing.  They drone on and on about an issue, if given the opportunity, and end up saying nothing substantial so as to avoid alienating...anyone.  I almost...not really, but almost... respect Beto for coming out and saying that he's all for confiscating firearms.  At least he took a stand and admitted out loud with no reservation what he would do.  Not very politician of him.
And I can understand why politicians do this when I hear people condemn a candidate over one little thing they said.  They would rather vote for the candidate that said nothing than the one that said 9 things they liked and 1 thing they didn't like.  Some people talk about wanting candidates to be more open say what they think, but I am not sure how many people really do. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »
I would love to have a Colt AR, but I would rather have an older one.  My Dad has a 1984-ish Colt carbine that is a very nice rifle.  I think I would buy one of the Brownells retro guns before a current Colt AR.

So if this is just Colt cutting a production line that isn't selling, I can believe that.  We will see. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »

I've read somewhere -- can't remember where right now -- that Colt just got some contracts for their AR rifles from a couple of countries, and will be busy fulfilling those contracts.  

IMHO  Colt makes very good ARs,  but I also think there are many equally good ones out there, and some are better.  "Mil-spec"  has become a sort of lowest acceptable quality standard now, not really top drawer.  In addition, "mil-spec"  is also design,  and includes the full auto trigger parts,  and those aren't available to us mere peons anyway,  so even a Colt that you get at your local gun shop won't be true mil spec.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
According to SmallArmsSolutions,the guy used to work at Colt, Colt has pretty much outsourced their AR parts. The newer ones he's seen the parts lack the "C" Colt production mark. The only thing that is genuine Colt anymore is the lower's rollmark. (Actually laser engraved now)

His youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn_AGhwovzeWrnqHFJpYWaw/videos
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »

M16s/M4s are AR15s, Ben. I've tried pointing this out before. AR15 does not imply semiautomatic, except to the uninformed.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 01:13:25 PM »
Enter David Hogg

You all. The firearm manufacturer, Colt is ending production of AR-15s due to lack of demand. This is real life. We’re winning. https://t.co/iB19k1VUR4

— March For Our Lives (@AMarch4OurLives) September 19, 2019

Media Gleefully Report Colt Ending Civilian AR-15 Production, March For Our Lives Claims Credit
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/media-gleefully-report-colt-ending-civilian-ar-15-production-march-for-our-lives-claims-credit/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

Can you clarify your stance here for me?

From my perception:  Armalite/Stoner invents rifle model AR-15.  It has a select fire switch.  This is pre-86 FOPA, there's no difference between Stoner's AR-15 and the military designation M-16 for the rifle sent to Vietnam.  Prior to 1986, there were tens of thousands of AR-15's in the civilian market that were functionally identical to the M16's sent overseas as military rifles.  Same receiver, same 3-position safety switch.

I see your stance as echoing that of the M1A/M14 situation.  There are mountains of people that think the Springfield M1A is an M1 series rifle (i.e. Garand) rather than an M14 pattern rifle.  Yes, the M14 was heavily derivative of the M1 in its design process.  But the M1A is unarguably an M14 rifle, not an M1.  M1A and M14 parts are interchangeable.  M1 and M1A parts are absolutely not interchangeable.  The M1A is a commercial trademark of an M14 pattern rifle.  I own an Armscorp M14 (it is stamped M14 on the receiver, not M1A).

The M-designation is stupid military jargon.  Sometimes it crosses over into the commercial marketplace, other times it does not.

As evidence that AR-15's prior to 1986 can be full auto, I submit a picture.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
Can you clarify your stance here for me?

I can't clarify my stance for me. I'm just going by everyone on the pro gun side, including the NRA, making a clear distinction that AR-15s in the civilian market are not the M-16s used by our military, and everyone on the anti side saying that they are. I guess if we want to say that there is no difference (and maybe there isn't technically), that's fine. But when the antis scream "Weapons of war!" every time there's a mass shooting, we shouldn't then be saying "No they're not!"

JMO.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »

No, it is entirely politician.

He says something extreme so the others can say thins sorta extreme but be viewed as reasonable when compared to the aforementioned extreme comments.

Popular stance: don't take guns.
Make extreme statement: take all guns.
Make less extreme statement: take some guns.
Shifts popular stance to: take some guns.

Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »

Popular stance: don't take guns.
Make extreme statement: take all guns.
Make less extreme statement: take some guns.
Shifts popular stance to: take some guns.

Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis.

Which brings us back to Lawdog: https://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-repost.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 12:49:02 AM »
I can't clarify my stance for me. I'm just going by everyone on the pro gun side, including the NRA, making a clear distinction that AR-15s in the civilian market are not the M-16s used by our military, and everyone on the anti side saying that they are. I guess if we want to say that there is no difference (and maybe there isn't technically), that's fine. But when the antis scream "Weapons of war!" every time there's a mass shooting, we shouldn't then be saying "No they're not!"

JMO.

We of course have to clarify that the AR-15s everyone's talking about and trying to confiscate are semiautomatic, and not that different from common hunting rifles. On the other hand, trying to claim that M16s are a totally different weapon, or that the size of the magazine doesn't make it easier to shoot more people more quickly - they're untenable positions, and cripple our side's credibility. On top of that, we keep insisting that AR-15 means semiautomatic - an easily disproved claim.

I don't see any way we keep our rights, unless we insist on the right to own military weapons. We have to explain why it's part of our history and character.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 01:26:57 AM »
We of course have to clarify that the AR-15s everyone's talking about and trying to confiscate are semiautomatic, and not that different from common hunting rifles. On the other hand, trying to claim that M16s are a totally different weapon, or that the size of the magazine doesn't make it easier to shoot more people more quickly - they're untenable positions, and cripple our side's credibility. On top of that, we keep insisting that AR-15 means semiautomatic - an easily disproved claim.

I don't see any way we keep our rights, unless we insist on the right to own military weapons. We have to explain why it's part of our history and character.

Making any distinction between types of arms is asinine and divisive.

Arms are arms.  The ability to acquire, possess and employ arms is the inherent right of existence enumerated in our Constitutions.

You are already choosing between things to give up and things to keep and in so doing have already surrendered your right to the status of privilege.