Author Topic: New round for M1Abrams main gun  (Read 825 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New round for M1Abrams main gun
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-army-abrams-tank-getting-new-high-tech-multipurpose-120-mm-round-2017-7?utm_source=feedburner&amp%3Butm_medium=referral&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29&utm_content=FeedBurner+user+view

So I am reading how this new round will replace four different types of rounds for the M1 Abrams main gun.  Just how many different rounds are there for the Abrams main gun?  Having never thought about it, I was interested to see that there are at least four.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: New round for M1Abrams main gun
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
Shucks. I was hoping it would contain some kind of pork product.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 02:48:09 PM »
I guess I have heard of 3 of those.  I didn't know they had a main gun round that was anti-aircraft.  Does that mean it has a proximity fuse or just a timed/distance fuse?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:27:24 PM »
Which round do they use for emergency, non-parachute drops? Does this new one replace that?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 02:26:03 AM »
When I was in, there were two "warshots"  APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) AKA - Sabot round.  Used for Killing Tanks.  Depleted Uranium Long Rod Penetrator. And HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) AKA HEAT round. For other vehicles (Can be used on Tanks, but Sabot rounds work better.)  There were blue training rounds for both (eg, the SABOT training round was only steel.  I have one in my garage.  I also have a training HEAT round, big chunk of metal.  Used for punching holes in green-painted plywood cut to look like Soviet tanks and APCs.)

There was a lot of lamenting the loss the of the 105mm Beehive (Anti-Personal) round from M60A3.  Nothing like having a 105mm shotgun. :O :O :O  So it took until 2005 for the Army to complete development of a 120mm anti-personal round...since, you know, we only had a 105mm one   ;/ ;/ ;/ ;/  And there were rumours of anti-helicopter round after the demise of the Sergeant York DIVAD system.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.