Author Topic: Over the counter hearing aids could be coming  (Read 1238 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Over the counter hearing aids could be coming
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
I look forward to this.  I will be interested to see if I can end up saving any money. 

MEDICAL NEWS | PHYSICIAN'S FIRST WATCH
December 8, 2016
Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids Could Be on the Way
By Kristin J. Kelley

Edited by Susan Sadoughi, MD, and Richard Saitz, MD, MPH, FACP, FASAM

The FDA announced plans on Wednesday to consider making over-the-counter hearing aids available.

In addition, the FDA put out guidance that says that it doesn't intend to enforce its rule requiring adults to sign a waiver or receive a medical evaluation before purchasing hearing aids.

The actions follow recommendations made in 2015 by the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and results of a study published over the summer by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.

Additionally, two senators — Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts) and Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) — have sponsored new legislation to make some types of hearing aids available over the counter at a lower cost. Individual hearing aids currently on the market can run over $2000.

LINK(S):

FDA news release (Free)

Sen. Warren's news release (Free)

President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology report (Free PDF)

NAS report (Free)

Background: Physician's First Watch coverage of hearing loss and diabetes (Free)

COMMENT EMAIL SHARE

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Over the counter hearing aids could be coming
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
 :old:

What?!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
:old:

What?!
THE FDA IS GOING TO MAGNANIMOUSLY ALLOW SOME OVER THE COUNTER HEARING AIDS.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »

OUR TOP STORY TONIGHT...
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 06:26:09 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 07:01:19 PM »
Reply #5's reference:
As many as 30 million Americans have some trouble hearing, but few can afford to pay for doctors’ exams and prescription hearing aids — and most insurance plans don’t cover them. According to the Food and Drug Administration, only about one-fifth of Americans with hearing loss get help.

The F.D.A. has now taken a final step that could put more accessible, and potentially less expensive, hearing aids in stores by the fall. People seeking out hearing aids will no longer have to be examined by a doctor first.

What?  No prescription needed? Why, the FDA is cutting right into Medicine's rice bowl !

After all, Medicine is a Business!

What the hell's the matter with the FDA anyhow ?

Sheesh !

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:14:12 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has done an app with bluetooth headphones/in-ear things to set frequency curves/cuts/boosts... Equalizers have been around forever.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 08:15:40 PM »
Looks like Big Belltone is losing it's political punch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 08:17:24 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has done an app with bluetooth headphones/in-ear things to set frequency curves/cuts/boosts... Equalizers have been around forever.

I think they do some of that. one of my brother in laws has a fancy set of hearing aids. Bluetooth connected to his phone and they can be "tuned".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 01:45:09 AM »
You can already buy such devices on the grey market as "hearing enhancers (for novelty use only)"--think about the electronic shooting plugs at Cabela's, but a bit fancier. This basically just makes the grey market white and allows them to be sold in pharmacies, advertised specifically for hearing loss, etc. It's a good move altogether.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 04:51:05 PM »
I’ve never understood why so many things, including glasses, chiropractors, etc are required to be covered by health insurance but hearing aids are excluded.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 09:37:16 AM »
I’ve never understood why so many things, including glasses, chiropractors, etc are required to be covered by health insurance but hearing aids are excluded.

Can you imagine how much more expensive already expensive hearing aids would become if they suddenly were covered by insurance?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 10:15:24 AM »
It's obvious why...the government doesn't want them covered by insurance because they don't want them covered by Medicare. It would (further) bankrupt Medicare. I know they usual look out for each other but this time their cronies in the Medical Industrial Complex will just have to take a hit this time.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 10:19:52 AM »
Can you imagine how much more expensive already expensive hearing aids would become if they suddenly were covered by insurance?

Didn’t say it would be a good thing, just surprised it was never done.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 10:44:15 AM »
I, for one, appreciate paying $ 3000-6000 out of pocket every three to four years for a set of hearing aids.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
I purchased 2 different sets of hearing aids for Swmbo from companies online. Both in the hundreds of dollars...don't recall the actual prices but under $1000.   Both brands were being heavily advertised on TV.  Didn't need an Rx.  She tried both sets and we sent them back.  She said the sound she heard was very metallic sounding and when she spoke, her own voice sounded, in her head, as if she was in a cave...all echoes.  She was told she'd get used to it.  She said no thanks.

I spoke with a couple friends who have the really pricy ones from a doctor.  They both said the echo thing when speaking was with theirs as well. 

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 11:17:54 AM »

<editorial prompted by the root subject of the thread>

I said it before and I'll say it here: 

(1) Insurance only increases the cost of services.  Service providers increase their prices because "insurance is paying for it," and we, thee and me, don't care because "insurance is paying for it."

(2) Insurance is the biggest racket in the world, especially if it is legally mandated. Have a claim?  (a) They increase your rates; (b) they increase the rates in your area or type of coverage; (c) insurance commisioners for your state are usually in the insurance business themselves.  Foxes  guarding the henhouse.

It's the biggest racket in the world.

They are not in the business of paying claims.  They are in the business of collecting premiums.

</editorial prompted by the root subject of the thread>

I've said it all before.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2022, 11:34:06 AM »
I, for one, appreciate paying $ 3000-6000 out of pocket every three to four years for a set of hearing aids.

If covered by insurance we’d all be paying an extra $500 per year.  Or you’d be paying an extra $2000/year.  Sure, it wouldn’t be “out of pocket” but they’d get their pound of flesh one way or another.

At work I have the choice of 4 different premium levels for the same insurance coverage.  Only difference (other than premium) is the deductible and out of pocket maximums.  The least expensive overall version is the lowest premium, and highest potential out of pocket plan, unless 2 or more people have very substantial expenses in a given year.  Family out of pocket max is equivalent to 2 individual maximums.  Hit that and then the highest premium is the better plan.  Otherwise the HSA eligible plan is best.  The crossover is around the point where 1 person has hit their individual max and the rest of the family is collectively at around 2/3 or so of hitting the remaining family maximum.
Formerly sumpnz

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 03:00:22 PM »
There are hearing amplifiers on the market for under $100 a pair.  They are not "hearing aids" that are tuned to your specific loss, just amplify the ambient sound.  How they got allowed to call themselves hearing aids is beyond me.  Even high dollar actual prescribed hearing aids are virtually useless unless set for the individual wearing them.  It took me almost a year and a half to get the VA to finally set my high dollar, bluetooth, phone program tunable aids to my loss.