Author Topic: Statistics Prove: The Patriots are a bunch of cheaters!  (Read 615 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Statistics Prove: The Patriots are a bunch of cheaters!
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/new-england-patriots-fumble-more-often-when-playing-for-other-teams

Ok, ok, they INDICATE the Patriots are a bunch of cheaters, but this is a pretty damning statistical analysis.

Since 20071, the Patriots have fumbled the ball less than every other NFL team. That's pretty impressive. In fact, it's so impressive that their fumbling rate of 1 fumble every 187 plays on offense that they are 78% higher than the average. For comparison, the second highest is 33% better than average and they are a bit of an outlier. According to the blog posts, it's so far out of the norm that there's a 1 in 16,000+ chance to have occurred randomly.

He makes some points that possible explanations are that the Patriots purposely choose players who fumble less or are able to teach better techniques to prevent fumbles.

So he analyzes the players who join and/or leave the patriots. When players join the Patriots, they fumble less. A LOT less. And when they leave the Patriots, they fumble more. A LOT more.

Interestingly, players who joined the patriots after 2007 started fumbling less and then when they left the fumbled MORE than before they joined the Patriots!

The implication is, then, that the Patriots have been deflating their balls since 2007 in order to have a better handle on the football and prevent fumbles. Seems to me that they ought to be punished more than just a few game suspension for their "star" quarterback.

1:Coincidentally, the year where teams were able to use their own balls on offense, meaning the opposite team never or rarely touches "your balls"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zahc

• friend
Re: Statistics Prove: The Patriots are a bunch of cheaters!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:12:32 PM »
Why do the teams get to provide thier own balls? I have never heard the reason, and I am tired of hearing about it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »
Meh, I am not convinced that the Pats cheated.  I have no love for them, but I think this was inflated out of nothing.

FTR. I think Pinkboy Goodell needs a good dragging round hte field by a few irate linemen.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:27:11 PM »
Meh, I am not convinced that the Pats cheated.  I have no love for them, but I think this was inflated out of nothing.

Well, I did find another possible explanation:

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »
They just need to go back to the NFL supplying the balls.  Then it is all an exercise in the past.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »
I never heard an explanation of how the Patriots "special" footballs were reserved for THEIR exclusive use during a game . . . otherwise the supposed "advantages" would accrue to BOTH teams.

As for fumbles . . . the coach at my HS had a pretty effective method to deal with it: if a player fumbled and the other team recovered, he had to carry a football EVERYWHERE he went for the next week. One poor guy was carrying THREE footballs from class to class for a week . . .

By the middle of the season, fumbles were rare.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Statistics Prove: The Patriots are a bunch of cheaters!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »
I never heard an explanation of how the Patriots "special" footballs were reserved for THEIR exclusive use during a game . . . otherwise the supposed "advantages" would accrue to BOTH teams.

As for fumbles . . . the coach at my HS had a pretty effective method to deal with it: if a player fumbled and the other team recovered, he had to carry a football EVERYWHERE he went for the next week. One poor guy was carrying THREE footballs from class to class for a week . . .

By the middle of the season, fumbles were rare.  =D
The link explains that in 2007, the offense was allowed to use "their" balls. Meaning each team used a different ball for offense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk