Author Topic: Taurus PT1911  (Read 2737 times)

New Reloader

Taurus PT1911
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »
OK Gents - I'd love some opinions on the Taurus 1911SS .45. I've shied away from Taurus because of an issue I had with one of their .357 revolvers. It kept jamming. Had it repaired twice, still jammed. Returned it for a S&W 686. Will I encounter problems with the 1911SS or will this be a good purchase?

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Taurus PT1911
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:35:53 AM »
I used to work in a combination shooting range and gun shop. Some self-appointed genius bought one of the Taurus 1911s; as well, several of the members bought the same gun elsewhere and brought it in to shoot.

The rental Taurus required extensive gunsmithing before it worked at all, and had to be given additional work down the road. I saw several Taurus 1911s people bought elsewhere that required gunsmithing out of the box, and a couple others that had to be sent back to the factory for new barrels: the original barrels' chambers were over-sized.

We had some Taurus revolvers for rent. Most had truly awful triggers out of the box, and by "truly awful," I mean even worse than Ruger triggers. A few people bought them because they were less expensive than other revolvers.

Lots of people were excited about the new Taurus "Judge" .45 Colt/.410 revolver, which I'm sure we'd have rented extensively if we'd been able to get our hands on one.

To give credit where credit's due: Taurus does a good job of advertising. It's been drumming up end user demand far more effectively than it did years ago. Sad to say, it's still producing second and third best guns, and probably always will.

If I were going to buy a basic model 1911, it would probably be a Springfield. It would cost about $250 more than the so-called "equivalent" Taurus, but would at least work out of the box. I'd expect to have to invest some dollars in it for gunsmithing. The difference is that I'd have to pour money into the Taurus just to get it to work at all, whereas I'd pour money into the Springfield to get it to work well. That said", I probably wouldn't buy a basic model 1911 at all, but a more expensive, higher end gun with a properly fitted slide, barrel, and bushing, as well as higher quality action parts that can be slicked up both better and more easily.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:31:30 AM »
I saw several Taurus 1911s people bought elsewhere that required gunsmithing out of the box, and a couple others that had to be sent back to the factory

So, you're saying it's your typical factory 1911 then?   cheesy
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

New Reloader

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:47:49 AM »
Standing Wolf - How old were these Taurus 1911's? How long ago were these problems? I wondering if Taurus had the time to work out the bugs or if they are still an issue. Thanks.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »
Have you dropped into THR and done a search on Taurus 1911? 

New Reloader

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
At the risk of asking an un-intelligent question . . . THR??

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »
THR - The High Road  
www.thehighroad.org

It is the gun only forum where this forum spun off from.  They speak everything gun related...we get the rest...

New Reloader

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »
I registered at THR but I think I'm going to opt out of buying a Taurus. I've had a bad experience with one and haven't heard too much good about them. I think I'll go for the Springfield 1911-A1. I carry an XD9 3" and love it. I don't think I can go wrong with the Springfield.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »
I don't think I can go wrong with the Springfield.

You can go wrong with any company's guns. You're much less likely to go wrong with a Springfield than a Taurus.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 06:49:29 AM »
Well, everything goes away but the frame and the slide anyway, right? What's the difference?

Blog under construction

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 06:54:59 AM »
For what it's worth, I have a Taurus PT92 (9mm), and it's been a great gun. Very accurate, comfortable, and reliable. I don't know much about the 1911s, but Taurus does make some good guns.

Jeff82

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »
I just picked up a blued one.  I'll let you know after my range trip.  Upon first cleaning, it's got a great trigger and all my Colt mags work in it (hand operation with snap caps).

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »
I had one through my shop and sold it.  It seemed just fine.  I heard the first models had some issues but, it's a 1911.  All the parts interchange.  Should be a pretty decent deal.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 03:46:25 AM »
About Taurus quality . . .

Some years ago I was acting as a range officer at a local gun club where I was a member, and in the course of a couple of hours, four guys with new Taurus PT92 pistols came through - I guess a local gun shop had a sale.

Two of them worked fine; with the safety where it should be (on the frame) rather than up on the slide like the Beretta design that PT92 is based on, I thought they were an "improved" Beretta.

The third gun through that day was a Jammamatic. Different mags, different ammo - the gun just didn't work. The owner was not happy.

The fourth gun I saw broke on the first shot; slide moved back just a bit, and seemed to be locked up solidly. After some fiddling, the owner got it apart, and the locking block came out in pieces. I'm not a metallurgist, but from what I remember of their appearance, it looked like cast iron . . . with voids.  shocked

Ammo was WWB.

So . . . MAYBE Taurus quality has improved since then . . . but from what I've been reading, maybe not.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 05:49:02 AM »
New reloader, fwiw, caveat emptor and all that,

I have had a couple Springfield 1911's.

One was a ss Champion Loaded, the other was a plain Jane A1 (the G.I. "Milspec" model).

The Champion was wonderfully well made and a joy to shoot. I put several thousand rounds through that one and never had any hitches or glitches. I really wish I still had it.

The G.I. was not as well made, but did what I expected of it. I did have to file just a hair's width off the firing pin stop to get the firing pin to return properly, but anyway, after that it ran quite well. I hated the low profile military-type sights, though, they were hard to see in an indoor range. For the price, I was reasonably pleased.

I had a Kimber UCII that was a total POS. It hammer-followed right out of the box, and after I got it back it wouldn't feed properly. I sold it a couple weeks later at a loss, no regrets there, though.

Anyway, I have always been pleased with Springfield's products.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 08:58:37 AM »
I'm no expert, and I don't spring for the holiday inn express, so this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth to you-

Taurus makes a decent product.  It's inexpensive, and it shows.  It's an inexpensive but decently designed product that works for the price point.

The problem is their quality control is crap.  While their product is decently designed for the price point the parts are not, nor is the craftsmanship or quality control which puts a lot of sub par items through.

So what you end up with is a ok product that is just poorly made and sent to market, which makes it hit or miss if you will get one that is decently built or one that is pure junk.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
Heh... I had a friend buy a $2,000+ custom 1911... He decides it will be the ultimate bedside gun.

He stuffs a mag, drops the slide, kerpow. One through the bed.

I figured he had his finger on the trigger, and does it again.

Kerpow. Bed's definitely dead.

That one went back.

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
I dunno.  Taurus is patterned exactly after S&W. (I think they use the old S&W machinery that was left there).  I've never seen a S&W semiauto that was worth a crap.  Great revolvers from both companies, though.