Author Topic: Anti-Gun Superbowl Ad  (Read 10638 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Anti-Gun Superbowl Ad
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-bloomberg-reloads-push-gun-control-124037455.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Among the slick, million-dollar ads for the likes of Pepsi and Honda during the Super Bowl this Sunday, viewers in New York and Boston will see a far more modest spot. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino will be sitting on a couch touting an issue most politicians avoid like the plague: gun control.

The two mayors, whose local teams face off in the big game, are making the pitch for Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG), the organization they co-founded in 2006.

How nice that they are addressing gun control in a Superbowl ad.

Bloomie just won't give up on his anti-gun quest.

While he has been hamstrung by the SCOTUS in banning guns in NYC, he keeps trying everywhere else.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:48:44 AM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Anti-Gun Superbowl Ad
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-bloomberg-reloads-push-gun-control-124037455.html

How nice that they are addressing gun control in a Superbowl ad.

Bloomie just won't give up on his anti-gun quest.

While he has been hamstrung by the SCOTUS in banning guns in NYC, he keeps trying everywhere else.

Is he spending his own money for this, or NYC taxpayers' money?
"It's good, though..."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

The taxpayers', of course.

He didn't get rich by using his OWN money for boondoggles like this!  ;/ [ar15]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »
Just remember....Republicans like Romney and Gingrich supported his political career....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
I have the same question, Bob, but could not find an answer.

He has nothing to lose, as he cannot run for another mayoral term due to limits.

Sadly, he can afford to bankroll these things from his personal fortune of $19.5 billion.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if millions of people contacted the NFL (and the advertisers) to let them know they would not be watching the SuperBowl because of that ad?

Pie in the sky, I know, but one can dream.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if millions of people contacted the NFL (and the advertisers) to let them know they would not be watching the SuperBowl because of that ad?

It would be more effective is they let the other advertisers know they won't be buying their products . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
I don't begrudge Bloomberg to have his own opinions.

If New Yorkers who voted for him want to accept his drivel, that is their problem.

I am very irritated when he tries to push his anti opinions outside of NYC.

Then it becomes my problem, and I did not vote for his personal platform of BS.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
Gee, two politicians who support the Second Amendment but want "common sense" gun control. Where have I heard that before?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »

If New Yorkers who voted for him want to accept his drivel, that is their problem.

You won't have to watch it.  From your OP
Among the slick, million-dollar ads for the likes of Pepsi and Honda during the Super Bowl this Sunday, viewers in New York and Boston will see a far more modest spot.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 07:54:11 PM »
Do you lot still have the Terry Tate ads? 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »

I'm all up for boycotting the stooper bowl. Is it coming up pretty soon, I don't want to miss missing it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »

Unfortunately, what happens in NYC does effect the rest of America, just as what happens in California does. Bloomberg shows what happens when money expands beyond morality.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
Unfortunately, what happens in NYC does effect the rest of America, just as what happens in California does. Bloomberg shows what happens when money expands beyond morality.
I know. Sadly I was born in NYC, but thankfully got out at an early age.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »
83 likes and 623 dislikes at last count.

*Rangel voice* "The likes have it, the gun control bill is ad is accepted and passed to the Superbowl for processing."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
83 likes and 623 dislikes at last count.

*Rangel voice* "The likes have it, the gun control bill is ad is accepted and passed to the Superbowl for processing."

"Ratings have been disabled for this video".

"Adding comments has been disabled for this video."

And all previous comments have been hidden or deleted.  Not surprising at all.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Nope, no surprise whatsoever.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 09:06:59 PM »
Gee, two politicians who support the Second Amendment but want "common sense" gun control. Where have I heard that before?
They support the Second Amendment the same way George Wallace supported school integration.

And now, to equate support for their position with patriotism . . .  [barf]

It's a variation of the same old argument - "If you don't agree with me, not only are you wrong, you're a bad person."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »
"Ratings have been disabled for this video".

"Adding comments has been disabled for this video."

And all previous comments have been hidden or deleted.  Not surprising at all.
Down the memory hole.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »
He has nothing to lose, as he cannot run for another mayoral term due to limits.

Bloomie was term-limited a long time ago.  He [allegedly] bought-off the legislature or the city council or whomever to change the rule so he could run again.

Rules are for little people.
"It's good, though..."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »
MAIG also has a FB page. 255 dislikes, and no comments allowed.

HA!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
What those two twats really mean:

Common sense gun laws: We can have 'em, you cannot.

Illegal guns: Any gun that is not in our hands.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »
For your Superbowl enjoyment

List of MAIG mayors that have been charged or convicted of crimes.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.