Author Topic: Father charged with murder in case of infant left in car  (Read 4451 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Father charged with murder in case of infant left in car
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
First rule of computertatin'...Delete does not actually Delete.

Exactly; delete the file it's stored in, then defrag.  Next best thing to a secure wipe.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »
And of course that harpy Nancy Grace is all over this case  :facepalm:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
Tails on a USB drive that you then thermite.

Not just for illegal stuff (which we wouldn't do) but anything you don't want to advertise.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:45 PM »
If I were going to do something illegal, I wouldn't use my home computer to research. I'd go to Kinko's or a library.

They normally do even more logging than home computers, and are harder to reach in order to destroy.  Besides, I heard he did it on his work computer - which if the boss has a proxy server setup might not allow him to delete his history at all, as the logs will be on the proxy, not the computer he actually works on.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »
Oh the good old days when you could just setup a pringles antenna or drive through a neighborhood and find unsecured wifi-networks. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
Exactly; delete the file it's stored in, then defrag.  Next best thing to a secure wipe.

Can't you just shoot the computer too?   >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
Oh the good old days when you could just setup a pringles antenna or drive through a neighborhood and find unsecured wifi-networks. 
You mean today?  It is sad how many unsecured or WEP secured connections there are.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
You mean today?  It is sad how many unsecured or WEP secured connections there are.

Depends on the area, I think.  You have to tour pretty far to find an unsecure AP in my neighborhood.

Nope.  Just that it is an easily foreseeable consequence.  Those who push for making kiddo car seats mandatory should have it shoved in their faces at every opportunity.

And it'll have just as much effect on them as pointing out the occasional accident where seatbelts made it worse.  Properly installed car seats *SAVE* so many lives that "Remember to no leave your kids in the car" is a valid point.  Heck, a properly installed car seat gives a baby more protection than what a race car driver gets.

You're also assuming that kids are less likely to be left in a car deliberately - in my experience most people who do so do so quite deliberately, car seat or not.

3. Laws make criminals out of folks whose autos can not accommodate the seats and laws.

How many automobiles are completely incompatible with car seats? 

4. The laws, when combined with "no kids in the front seat" laws, make one choose between maximizing kiddo safety and following the law.

I've read the laws; they're very in line with maximizing 'kiddo safety'.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »
Heck, a properly installed car seat gives a baby more protection than what a race car driver gets.

For some reason, I'm strongly doubting that a car seat is better protection than a driver in a nomex suit with a helmet, HANS device, strapped in with a 5pt harness, and a chrome-moly cage surrounding him. NASCAR drivers routinely walk away from 160+ mile an hour wrecks. I doubt a baby in a car seat would.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
How many automobiles are completely incompatible with car seats?

I've read the laws; they're very in line with maximizing 'kiddo safety'.

Compact extended cab pickup trucks with side-facing jump seats in the extended portion.  More than a few were produced and are still on the road.  I owned one until an elderly woman decided I ought to drive something different a few years back.

1. The side-facing jump seats are incompatible with any of the kiddo safety seats I encountered, physically/design-wise.  Specifically said in the instructions that the seats were to be mounted fore/aft.

2. I finally did manage to mount two of them (side-facing).  Not pretty, but secure in the way an over-engineer would do things.

3. Funny thing, though.  When the kids sat in the jump seats with no safety seat, three sides were surrounded by firm padding and one side (facing the other side of the cab) was open.  Like the jump seats were designed to transport small humans in as safe a manner as possible.  When the kids were ensconced in the "better protection than a race car driver" safety seat, that raised them such that their heads were now in line with a rigid metal strip.  Now, instead of encountering the firm padding all around (and relatively close, sort of like school bus seats are supposed to work), their skulls would be crushed by the metal strip in a fore/aft collision. 

Hoo-*expletive deleted*ing-ray for child safety seat laws.  Thank you, policritters and dumbass activists for putting my children at greater risk of traumatic brain injury.  I first went to making the kids wear styrofoam bicycle helmets and then rigid skater helmets to counteract the unintended consequences of crapulent doo-gooders.

The law is an ass promulgated by dumbasses who did not take into account that their law was incompatible with literally millions of motor vehicles sold and still on the road in the last few decades.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
Depends on the area, I think.  You have to tour pretty far to find an unsecure AP in my neighborhood.
Maybe.  Around here, there are still quite a few out there.  Plus there has recently been a profusion of unsecured "guest" networks.  I can see two of those from my laptop right now, plus several WEP networks that could be cracked relatively simply.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Maybe.  Around here, there are still quite a few out there.  Plus there has recently been a profusion of unsecured "guest" networks.  I can see two of those from my laptop right now, plus several WEP networks that could be cracked relatively simply.

Dare I ask how one cracks a WEP network?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 11:39:28 PM »
For some reason, I'm strongly doubting that a car seat is better protection than a driver in a nomex suit with a helmet, HANS device, strapped in with a 5pt harness, and a chrome-moly cage surrounding him. NASCAR drivers routinely walk away from 160+ mile an hour wrecks. I doubt a baby in a car seat would.

Werd.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
Dare I ask how one cracks a WEP network?

Heck, there's at least one Android app for that.