Author Topic: OPEC is effectively dissolved, per BoA analysts  (Read 7623 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
OPEC is effectively dissolved, per BoA analysts
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilprices/11283875/Bank-of-America-sees-50-oil-as-Opec-dies.html

"The Opec oil cartel no longer exists in any meaningful sense and crude prices will slump to $50 a barrel over coming months as market forces shake out the weakest producers, Bank of America has warned.

Revolutionary changes sweeping the world’s energy industry will drive down the price of liquefied natural gas (LNG), creating a "multi-year” glut and a mucher cheaper source of gas for Europe.

Francisco Blanch, the bank’s commodity chief, said Opec is "effectively dissolved” after it failed to stabilize prices at its last meeting. "The consequences are profound and long-lasting," he said."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: OPEC is effectively dissolved, per BoA analysts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
Wow. Interesting report. Also of interest will be seeing what happens with fracking and other high tech, but somewhat expensive extraction methods. I'm not sure many of them will be viable at $50/bbl. I expect a lot of smaller operations to fold up or be absorbed by bigger guys.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »
I like the idea of "mucher cheaper" gas very mucher!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »
Wow. Interesting report. Also of interest will be seeing what happens with fracking and other high tech, but somewhat expensive extraction methods. I'm not sure many of them will be viable at $50/bbl. I expect a lot of smaller operations to fold up or be absorbed by bigger guys.

During the last 3 months, energy-related junk bonds have underperformed Treasury bonds by 12%!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:13:14 AM »
It's a trick, get an ax.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
Other reports I hear indicate OPEC has dropped its price on oil significantly, trying to undercut America's increasing independance from OPEC oil and the trend toward fracking.   This is what analysts are saying has caused the recent dramatic drop in the Dow Jones Index from near 18,000 to mid 17,000 levels.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
As China's need for oil continues to wane and OPEC continues to produce at the same level, there will be a glut that will drive the price to a point that some wells will be shut down because it won't be profitable to operate them.  The market will correct itself and eventually there will be point that supply and demand will level to a point that prices will stabilize around $60-$65 a barrel.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
Whatever the intention of the countries producing to drop the price of oil, I am all for it.

The oil production industry in the country will suffer.

You know who will benefit? Any industry that uses energy, and those who use oil will benefit even more. I think that's, oh right, every other industry.

A significant portion of the (officially denied) inflation lately has been because of energy and oil costs. I've seen the results already in prices of goods. (For example, who else has noticed what's been happening to the price of milk?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Almost all goods and raw materials used to make those goods in this country are transported significant distances. Lower fuel costs helps in literally every facet of the economy. Just need to build some more refineries.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
It's a trick, get an ax.

Most likely; after all, if you control the price, and another guy is trying to take a piece with new tech, then dropping the price down cheaper than he's willing to sell at means he has to let his equipment sit. Once it rusts a bit, you can start bumping the prices back up, keeping them just low enough that it's never quite economically feasible for him to refurb his gear and start undercutting you again.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
An article I read today speculates that OPEC, specifically Saudi Arabia are engaged in a price war with American oil producers (fracking and tar sands).  Saudi can afford to sell oil below the break even price for American producers and they seek to drive 'em out.  Junk bonds are loaded with 20-25% oil.  The big banks are on the hook for the junk bonds.  If Saudi's accomplish what they are suspected of doing, junk bonds will bust.  When junk bonds bust the large banks will be in trouble.  This article says the dominoes are in place for a repeat of 2008.  They say watch the junk bonds.  When they start to go, the market in general will crash.
Making things worse is that the Russian budget and economy is dependent upon oil being in the $100 bbl range.  With the embargo and that factoid, Russia is in a shitload of trouble and may cause them to do something really, really stupid in Eastern Europe.  Already America is rattling sabers by threatening to put nukes back into place and accuse the Russians of breaking a treaty regarding nukes.

For me, I'd like to round up the leaders of the major powers and OPEC and put them in a semi trailer and take it out to sea and sink it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: OPEC is effectively dissolved, per BoA analysts
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:31:28 PM »
An article I read today speculates that OPEC, specifically Saudi Arabia are engaged in a price war with American oil producers (fracking and tar sands).  Saudi can afford to sell oil below the break even price for American producers and they seek to drive 'em out.  Junk bonds are loaded with 20-25% oil.  The big banks are on the hook for the junk bonds.  If Saudi's accomplish what they are suspected of doing, junk bonds will bust.  When junk bonds bust the large banks will be in trouble.  This article says the dominoes are in place for a repeat of 2008.  They say watch the junk bonds.  When they start to go, the market in general will crash.
Making things worse is that the Russian budget and economy is dependent upon oil being in the $100 bbl range.  With the embargo and that factoid, Russia is in a shitload of trouble and may cause them to do something really, really stupid in Eastern Europe.  Already America is rattling sabers by threatening to put nukes back into place and accuse the Russians of breaking a treaty regarding nukes.

For me, I'd like to round up the leaders of the major powers and OPEC and put them in a semi trailer and take it out to sea and sink it.

First, oil is a commodity. Do you mean many junk bonds are to oil companies?

Secondly, banks (at least when I was teaching this) are prohibited from holding junk bonds. (They have very tight restrictions on their risk pool.)

Big banks do not back junk bonds, else they would not be junk. I'm not sure what the article was claiming.

NOW, it may be smart (and arguably legitimate under National Defense) for the government to subsidize oil producers  (specifically the shale oil) to keep their pumps operational if the Saudis artificially lower the price. (Just enough to break even.)

It would be costly, but likely cheaper than allowing the Saudis to drive our domestic competition out of business.

But, fortunately in all of this, I've recently read the frakkers should be able to compete not quite down to $50 a barrel given new breakthroughs.

Russia cannot. Venezuela cannot. They're screwed long before we are.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
NOW, it may be smart (and arguably legitimate under National Defense) for the government to subsidize oil producers  (specifically the shale oil) to keep their pumps operational if the Saudis artificially lower the price. (Just enough to break even.)

It would be costly, but likely cheaper than allowing the Saudis to drive our domestic competition out of business.

But, fortunately in all of this, I've recently read the frakkers should be able to compete not quite down to $50 a barrel given new breakthroughs.

Russia cannot. Venezuela cannot. They're screwed long before we are.

We could send the communists and the islamofascists into irrelevancy in one fell swoop.  >:D
It would be too good to be true.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
Drill baby drill! Frack em all!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
Well, I did read that article on the internet. =D  So it must be accurate and true, eh? [tinfoil]

Actually, I don't know doodly squat about junk bonds, the market etc.  I usually don't read that stuff, but I had been feeling good and had my Christmas spirit, so I needed to read something that would put me back in my usual negative and gloomy state of mind. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
Well, I did read that article on the internet. =D  So it must be accurate and true, eh? [tinfoil]

Actually, I don't know doodly squat about junk bonds, the market etc.  I usually don't read that stuff, but I had been feeling good and had my Christmas spirit, so I needed to read something that would put me back in my usual negative and gloomy state of mind. [popcorn]

http://www.zerohedge.com/
Motto: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/
Motto: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Why do you think I donate to SENS?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
Other reports I hear indicate OPEC has dropped its price on oil significantly, trying to undercut America's increasing independance from OPEC oil and the trend toward fracking. 

I attend the Independance every fourth of July.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 05:15:51 PM »
Sadly, it doesn't say how long Saudi Arabia can last on that $750 billion it has socked away:

http://qz.com/311179/the-real-reason-why-saudi-arabia-can-afford-a-price-war-against-us-shale/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »
Once that's depleted the Saudis are going to have to cut the pork to either their elite or the masses.

Wonder who they'll choose.

Is it wrong to imagine that it might be a net positive if all these oil states collapse?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
^^^I would be afraid that we would somehow get sucked into the swamp if the oil states collapse.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:39 PM »
I don't know, given the decision making of the last few administrations... [checks results] oh crap...we're doomed.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »
But of course. We'll have to prop up the folks who prop up folks who want to kill us, so that folks who want to kill us don't kill the first folks and take over.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
But of course. We'll have to prop up the folks who prop up folks who want to kill us, so that folks who want to kill us don't kill the first folks and take over.

Why don't we just step back, let them kill each other off, then mop up the survivors?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!