Author Topic: OPEC is effectively dissolved, per BoA analysts  (Read 7624 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: OPEC is effectively dissolved, per BoA analysts
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
Since we produce enough oil, we have Canadian oil if we want it, Mexican oil, and we could probably make friends with Venezuela again, I've held that we should make sure Israel in secure and let the rest of the Middle East have at it and see who the last man standing is.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 07:06:59 AM »
Once that's depleted the Saudis are going to have to cut the pork to either their elite or the masses.

I think you mean shawarma.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
This, to me, is more telling:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_epc0_im0_mbbl_a.htm

We're using 700,000,000 fewer barrels of oil per year (in 2013) compared to 2008.  That's the sign of a shrinking ecnomy, because there aren't THAT many Priuii on the streets.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
I've never really understood why we both export our own oil, and import OPEC's oil. Seems to me that if we kept our oil, built many more refineries, and also built a lot more nuclear power plants we'd be totally self-sufficient for energy in what, maybe a decade? Two at the most?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 01:08:05 PM »
Our oil is not as easy to refine as imported oil.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
I've never really understood why we both export our own oil, and import OPEC's oil. Seems to me that if we kept our oil, built many more refineries, and also built a lot more nuclear power plants we'd be totally self-sufficient for energy in what, maybe a decade? Two at the most?

For the same reason people order stuff from Amazon as opposed to going to the local store and buying one.

Some is also what Bill said.   Different oils breakdown into differing amounts of Gasoline, Diesel, Heating Oil, etc.  The refiners may want something that breaks down into more Diesel then other oils, or they want the most Gasoline, etc.  Perhaps there's a "deal" on a shipment.  A wide variety of factors goes into what the refineries buy and then make  .

The Oil prices you normally see are for "North Sea Brent" or "Texas Light Sweet".  Other flavors of oil and vary from what is listed.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
For the same reason people order stuff from Amazon as opposed to going to the local store and buying one.

Surely the US can come up with a domestic crude oil retailer not entirely staffed by jerks and idiots.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »
These major dips in crude prices are always temporary.  In six to eight months, the price of crude will be back up in the $85-$95 range after all the financially weaker players have been forced out of the fracking business.  There will also be a fair amount of consolidation as some of the failing companies are absorbed by the big outfits with deep pockets.
In the meantime, enjoy the lower gas prices.  They will be headed back up soon enough.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
These major dips in crude prices are always temporary.  In six to eight months, the price of crude will be back up in the $85-$95 range after all the financially weaker players have been forced out of the fracking business.  There will also be a fair amount of consolidation as some of the failing companies are absorbed by the big outfits with deep pockets.
In the meantime, enjoy the lower gas prices.  They will be headed back up soon enough.
Will the Dow Jones be back up soon?  [tinfoil] [popcorn] ...  ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
Will the Dow Jones be back up soon?  [tinfoil] [popcorn] ...  ;/

Your tinfoil hat and rolleyes smileys are silly as no conspiracy theories were implied or intended.  Ordinary market forces will drive oil prices back up at some point.  Historically, they always have.

As far as the market goes, I don't really know.  My gut tells me it's overbought simply because the economy is not all that robust.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
Yep, th market is a bubble.  There's currently no where else for money to go, so everyone is chasing stocks.  The crash is going to be epic...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
Your tinfoil hat and rolleyes smileys are silly as no conspiracy theories were implied or intended.  Ordinary market forces will drive oil prices back up at some point.  Historically, they always have.

As far as the market goes, I don't really know.  My gut tells me it's overbought simply because the economy is not all that robust.

I didn't intend to convey the idea a conspiracy theory was involved ...  We need a "tongue in cheek" smilie.  We have a tongue but it doesn't really convey what I intended.

Yep, th market is a bubble.  There's currently no where else for money to go, so everyone is chasing stocks.  The crash is going to be epic...

Like this?↓↓↓↓ [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
Like this?↓↓↓↓ [popcorn]

Maybe a cross between that and

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
Here's an interesting analysis/reason for the drop.  The Saudi's aren't aiming to drive US producers out of the market (but they may consider that a bonus), but are aimed at Iran.  Looks like they have done this twice before.  Once that ultimately drove the Shah from power and again in 2009 against Ahmadinejad in an election year.

And since the Saudi's (Wahhabi/Sunni Arabs) have a long standing beef against the Iranians (Twelver Shia Persians)

Apparently, it's not always about us... ;)

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/12/18/why-would-the-saudis-crash-oil-markets-iran/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.