Author Topic: Iraq Parlaiment votes end foreign troop presence  (Read 3238 times)

dogmush

• friend
Iraq Parlaiment votes end foreign troop presence
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
It's trending on a bunch of sites but my work computer blocks most of them. The Iraq Parliament just held a vote and voted to withdraw the request for assistance from coalition forces, and remove foreign troops from Iraq.

So far I haven't seen the US response.

Should be an interesting week.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Iraq Parlaiment votes end foreign troop presence
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:55:20 AM »
BBC
Not much yet but the link should be updated as they find out more.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50998065
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:55:46 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »
Would it be optimistic for me to think that we, one of the largest oil producers in the world, might use this as an opportunity to say FU to the ME and maybe start a real pullout that leaves them all to war amongst themselves?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
What choice do we have?  Time to go.   Almost seems too easy.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 10:31:21 AM »
Wait a minute.  Who are we against this week?  Are we for someone new now?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »
Civil war then Saddam ][ within the year.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
Civil war then Saddam ][ within the year.

I agree, it won't be as bad as Libya but it won't be that far behind either.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
Wait a minute.  Who are we against this week?  Are we for someone new now?

Well, that's part of the problem, isn't it? New aholes pop up every week and we have to decide if they're aholes we want to be allies with or enemies with.

There are no good leaders anywhere in the ME in the "Apple pie good guy" American sense. Only aholes that it's sometimes beneficial for us to work with. They all commit what we consider atrocities against their own people (or those factions of their people they've been disagreeing with for the last few thousand years).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
Well, that's part of the problem, isn't it? New aholes pop up every week and we have to decide if they're aholes we want to be allies with or enemies with.

There are no good leaders anywhere in the ME in the "Apple pie good guy" American sense. Only aholes that it's sometimes beneficial for us to work with. They all commit what we consider atrocities against their own people (or those factions of their people they've been disagreeing with for the last few thousand years).

We keep playing Whack-A-Mole and the moles keep coming. Eventually your arm gets tired.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 11:55:56 AM »
Yup, time for us to pull out. We also need to leave nothing we built to support our presence, nothing but ashes in our wake.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »
BBC
Not much yet but the link should be updated as they find out more.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50998065

They updated the article

The non-binding resolution was passed by the Iraqi parliament after the caretaker Prime Minister, Adel Abdul Mahdi, called for an end to the foreign military presence in a speech to MPs.

Non-bindlng implies something just for show to me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
Yup, time for us to pull out. We also need to leave nothing we built to support our presence, nothing but ashes in our wake.

If pass history is any guide we'll leave billions of dollars worth of stuff that will soon be found in all corners of the world and will get used against us by someone somewhere.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
If pass history is any guide we'll leave billions of dollars worth of stuff that will soon be found in all corners of the world and will get used against us by someone somewhere.
You're probably right. I'll say that RKL had the right idea a few posts up - leave nothing useful behind.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »

And somebody probably will become rich facilitating the ones who end up with all the new toys.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »

They updated the article

Non-bindlng implies something just for show to me.

My understanding of the Iraqi Governmental workings is shaky at best, but, from what I gather, it is non-binding until the Prime Minister signs it.  Once you have the act of Parliament, signed by the Prime Minister, the government is obligated to act on it.

Points to remember: 

This Prime Minister is a "caretaker" because he resigned in November over protests that he, and this government, were puppets of Iran.

I'm reading reports that the parliament did reach a quorum, but also that no Sunni or Kurdish MP's showed up.  How this plays out on the "will of the Iraqi people" narrative remains to be seen.

If we actually start making concrete preparations to leave, the various militia groups are likely to start killing each other sooner rather than later.  This could also effect the narrative.

If this goes through and we start to withdraw we are likely to find out exactly how much operational control the Iranians have over the militias.  Politically seeing us out of Iraq is a win for them, but it's not what the various fighters mean when they vow revenge.  They want blood.  If Iran can't keep them under control, this could still get kinetic.

To RKL's and WLJ's comments, if we follow the plan we did in withdrawal from northern Syria, we won't leave much of anything useful behind.  We pretty much leveled those bases on the way out.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »

Perhaps we should leave agricultural salt behind in the few productive fields there...
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »

To RKL's and WLJ's comments, if we follow the plan we did in withdrawal from northern Syria, we won't leave much of anything useful behind.  We pretty much leveled those bases on the way out.

That's encouraging to know.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 02:32:25 PM »
Perhaps we should leave agricultural salt behind in the few productive fields there...
Legend has it that Rome found it worked in preventing future problems with a longtime enemy . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 02:55:35 PM »
Some 5,000 US soldiers are in Iraq as part of the international coalition against the Islamic State (IS) group.
We don't really have that many troops in Iraq itself.  I would be curious what our total is in the ME outside Afghanistan.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
You know, NO one has addressed this issue... the US, the Iraqis, etc...

What was this guy doing in Baghdad? In Iraq? Which tacitly a US ally?

It seems as if he was there pretty openly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 03:43:35 PM »

I don't know about his original plans, but it appears that he is now attending a wake.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 03:58:11 PM »
Or what's left of him.  Apparently they had to tentatively ID him from a ring he wore and follow it up with DNA testing.

Was it a Hellfire?  About 20lb of HE?  Probably hamburglarized the automobile's contents.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »

Kind of like bin Laden in Pakistan . . . except a bit less discreet.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 06:25:35 PM »
I don't know about his original plans, but it appears that he is now attending a wake.

:laugh:

Politics aside,  couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »

He has openly been in Iraq, like many Iranian government folk, for the entirety of the war and post war. Iran and Iraq have public and official links.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."