Author Topic: Pedometer apps?  (Read 743 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Pedometer apps?
« on: November 24, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »
Does anyone use a pedometer app for Android? I'd like to start getting some idea of how far I walk (or don't walk) on a daily basis. My phone is a ZTE Z799VCL -- it has (supposedly) an accelerometer but no compass. Will that work? Any recommendations for free pedometer apps?

I usually wear my phone on my belt in a clip-on "holster." Will a pedometer app work from that position, or does it need to be lower on a leg so it can detect steps?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Pedometer apps?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 09:22:32 PM »
I use the Samsung app that came on the phone but I've also got an app called Simply Walking.
I got it to have a check on the Samsung app and found that they match up pretty good.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »
Mine would read this at the end of the day: "Have you even freaking MOVED?!?!"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
For running, I use the Map My Fitness app, which tracks steps and distance covered, and will also generate a map showing the route taken.  This is a workout app, and not a daily tracking app.  For daily step totals, I use the Samsung app, like RKL.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
What Samsung app are you gentlemen referring to? My primary cell phone is a Samsung, and I don't find any step counter or fitness app on it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
Before I started using a fitness watch, I used the Samsung Health app as well. There are a lot of other free apps out there to try though, to see if you like them or not. None will be completely accurate, but most will be "good enough." It doesn't matter where the phone is on your body.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
What Samsung app are you gentlemen referring to? My primary cell phone is a Samsung, and I don't find any step counter or fitness app on it.

My S6 came with the Samsung Health App that includes a step counter.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
Ah ... I'm still surviving with a Galaxy SIII. I tried a new model about a year ago and I hated it so much I returned it to Verizon within two days.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
Yes. Best one I've found is Pacer.

I've used several others, but Pacer seems to do the best job, and it synchs with MyFitnessPal, the UnderArmor app that I'm using to track my diet.

But, if you're still using an S3, the app might not work on it. You'll have to try.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.