Author Topic: 'Pure' gas worth it?  (Read 1499 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
'Pure' gas worth it?
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »
A gas station reasonably near to me (11 miles away) has recently started carrying gasoline with no ethanol in it.  I am thinking of driving up there to check out the price differential.  In a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, I wonder if I would see better MPG that would offset the increased price.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: 'Pure' gas worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »
I get about 5% better mileage with pure gas. Cost is usually about 20% more, so I only use it for small engines; generator, lawn mower, etc.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:18:33 AM »
I use non ethanol fuel in small engines. Newer automotive engines are designed to run the 87 octane blended fuel and you won’t see much difference. Here the non ethanol is 91 octane
What we have here is failure to communicate.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
I doubt that the slightly improved gasoline mileage offsets the additional cost for routine driving.  I prefer to use non-ethanol for small engines such as a generator, boats, and lawn mowers.  But frankly, I often use ethanol laced gasoline for both unless it is a specific purchase for this use.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
I am thinking that when lawn mowing season resumes, I should go fill my 2.5 gallon gas can for the mower, and perhaps try the gas in my 2012 Suzuki DL650, to see if that makes any difference.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
Like others said, I get it when I refill my 5 gallon can for the lawn mower and other small stuff. 

The newer Buc-ee's stations around here all have it as an additional option at each pump. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
Its mainly for 2 stroke stuff and boats.
The closest place I can buy the stuff is 50 miles away because of the mothereffing EPA.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Echoing what others said... if it's right around the corner, sure. The difference in overall economy is negligible enough that it won't money out unless it's really, really close. If not, don't bother except for lawn/power equipment.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
I use it for outdoor power equipment, mowers, weed trimmers, wood splitter, chainsaws and I also use it for the ancient venerable Atomic-4 engine in my little sailboat along with some Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil.
I will also use it in my M715along with some Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
I get about 5% better mileage with pure gas. Cost is usually about 20% more, so I only use it for small engines; generator, lawn mower, etc.

The last time I actually noticed a difference between 10% E and non E was with my 98 GMC with a 4.3 Vortec, and it is was about a 2 mpg difference on the highway, same in town for either.

My vehicles now, none or no real difference between E10, E15 or No E. Actually my supercharged Nissan Frontier gets the best MPG with 20% E, but blender pumps are hard to find.

I buy No E only for my lawn tractor, push mower, sailboat 2 stroke outboard and my 2 stroke dirt bikes. Chainsaw I buy the gas mix in a can.

If I can't get No E anymore, I'll probably sell my 2 stroke outboard and dirtbikes and buy 4 stroke replacements.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:33:04 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
I'm running corn squeezin's through the truck right now (E85). I do that a couple times a year to de-carbon the combustion chambers. Truck runs really well on it but economy suffers a bit (11-13 mpg in town versus 14-15 mpg on dino juice).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
My '97 Camry gets about 10% better mileage with Chevron/Shell/76 brand gas vs Arco.  The '08 Sienna gets better milage but as much.  In both cases it's "up to 10% ethanol" gas.  Have not experimented with sober gas in quite a while.  Should try a tank when I get a chance.  It's a 20-30% premium over E10 as I recall, so I doubt it'll pencil out for typical driving.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
The only "pure" gas available around here is sold by hardware stores in 5-gallon cans. The cost works out to about $6 per gallon.

Thanks, but no thanks. I can make my own for less than that. Water is free (almost -- I need electricity to run the well pump).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »
What the rest said. 

I'm happy with how my chainsaw runs without ethanol eating all the gaskets in the off season.  Worth whatever the price difference is.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
So, why should pure gas cost more than gas with ethanol added?  Gas is cheaper to produce sans adding corn.  Plus, maybe none of you are old enough to remember a couple things.  When they started to add corn to the gas, that gas was more expensive because the ethanol had a cost.  So now if it isn't added, why is gas more? 

Also, there was a time we had leaded gas.  Lead was an additive, thus an extra cost.  When lead was outlawed in gas, guess what?  Unleaded gas was more expensive?  The question most of us asked at that time was why would gas be more without adding the lead, which had a cost?

The Overlords think we are stupid, and for the most part, they are right.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
So, why should pure gas cost more than gas with ethanol added?  Gas is cheaper to produce sans adding corn.  Plus, maybe none of you are old enough to remember a couple things.  When they started to add corn to the gas, that gas was more expensive because the ethanol had a cost.  So now if it isn't added, why is gas more?  

Also, there was a time we had leaded gas.  Lead was an additive, thus an extra cost.  When lead was outlawed in gas, guess what?  Unleaded gas was more expensive?  The question most of us asked at that time was why would gas be more without adding the lead, which had a cost?

The Overlords think we are stupid, and for the most part, they are right.

Ethanol is cheaper per gallon than unleaded gasoline

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/prices.php

Corn is really cheap right now, ethanol production is way more efficient than the 70s and we are exporting ethanol. Also the subsidy is gone for ethanol, but it is a little misleading because there is other subsidies that indirectly affect ethanol production. Also there is a market for almost every byproduct of ethanol production.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536