Author Topic: Museum in Oklahoma auctioning off millions worth of firearms.  (Read 591 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Museum in Oklahoma auctioning off millions worth of firearms.
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:27:27 AM »
https://okcfox.com/news/local/historical-gun-museum-to-auction-off-items-to-stay-afloat

Like the title says. Wish I could make it. Looks like there will be multiple auctions with the first December 9th.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Museum in Oklahoma auctioning off millions worth of firearms.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
Oh God... a late prototype Mauser G41, and a production Mauser G41...

I'd kill for one of those...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
https://okcfox.com/news/local/historical-gun-museum-to-auction-off-items-to-stay-afloat

Like the title says. Wish I could make it. Looks like there will be multiple auctions with the first December 9th.

"Oklahomans can take part by phone or online and the online bidding is already underway."

Did they really mean Oklahomans, as in "Oklahomans Only?"

Is this maybe some kind of restriction because of interstate transfers?  I mean they're pretty much all curios, aren't they?  (Except for machineguns, but many states allow them anyhow.)

???

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
Local paper, local article, so I bet the reporter was just thinking about the local audience.  That museum needs money, so limiting the sales to OK residents only would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
Roy Bean's six shooter is in there!  :O :O :O
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
I didn't forget about the hidebound mentality of most reporters:  "This week, 50 skware miles, nothing else exists."

But I wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of legal restriction.  You never know with our estimated 20,000 gun laws.

Roy Bean's six shooter is in there!  :O :O :O

That's interesting.  They said, according to the flawed article,  they were only selling duplicates of what they had.  I assume, therefore, that there were two of them?  Or is it just part of the inventory and they're not actually selling it?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
I drive by the museum twice a day on my commute to work.
The link in the OP is from an Oklahoma City station.
I have seen nothing local about this.
There is a low key movement to get rid of the museum and the collection. There are "(self)important people" that do not like the evil gunzes and do not think it projects the correct progressive view of the city of Claremore.
The museum is located on what would be some pretty prime real-estate in the town. About a decade ago there was a push to sell off the entire collection and property. It was not local knowledge until plans were well underway and the locals raised all hell about it and got it stopped. Those people didn't just go away.
My suspicion is that this is the beginning of another backdoor attempt to get rid of the museum and let the local mucky-mucks profit. 

http://www.newson6.com/story/36673024/settlement-reached-in-lawsuit-over-jm-davis-gun-museum-in-claremore
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
Very interesting.  And you're right, those people never give up.  I noted a remark in the flawed article that the museum folks thought a drop in attendance was due to the anti-gun BS... or something like that, not quoting.

The General Patton part of my brain is wondering if there's something in the Kelo Decision that would allow the predatory real estate developers to condemn the property.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
It is my understanding that the property belongs to the state. The employees are state employees.
about 20 years ago a friend of mine from high school was the museum gunsmith.  I was waiting on my wife one afternoon and had a couple of hours to kill and stopped in to look around. He saw me and took me on a tour of the facility. The "not open to the public" part of the building was stuffed to the gills with guns of all sorts. Some worth preserving many just run of the mill firearms that had been donated to the museum.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
That's interesting.  They said, according to the flawed article,  they were only selling duplicates of what they had.  I assume, therefore, that there were two of them?  Or is it just part of the inventory and they're not actually selling it?

https://historical.ha.com/itm/handguns/single-action-revolver/historic-and-documented-colt-frontier-six-shooter-saa-revolver-once-owned-by-judge-roy-bean/a/6194-40125.s?ic5=CatalogHome-FeaturedItems-Thumbnail-071515

It was listed in the Featured Items.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
Oh God... a late prototype Mauser G41, and a production Mauser G41...

I'd kill for one of those...

The media told me you would!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”