Author Topic: Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol  (Read 7457 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:54:12 AM »
Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol

Silicon Valley is experimenting with bacteria that have been genetically altered to provide 'renewable petroleum'.

Ten years ago I could never have imagined Id be doing this, says Greg Pal, 33, a former software executive, as he squints into the late afternoon Californian sun. I mean, this is essentially agriculture, right? But the people I talk to  especially the ones coming out of business school  this is the one hot area everyone wants to get into.

He means bugs. To be more precise: the genetic alteration of bugs  very, very small ones  so that when they feed on agricultural waste such as woodchips or wheat straw, they do something extraordinary. They excrete crude oil.

Unbelievably, this is not science fiction. Mr Pal holds up a small beaker of bug excretion that could, theoretically, be poured into the tank of the giant Lexus SUV next to us. Not that Mr Pal is willing to risk it just yet. He gives it a month before the first vehicle is filled up on what he calls renewable petroleum. After that, he grins, its a brave new world.

Mr Pal is a senior director of LS9, one of several companies in or near Silicon Valley that have spurned traditional high-tech activities such as software and networking and embarked instead on an extraordinary race to make $140-a-barrel oil (£70) from Saudi Arabia obsolete. All of us here  everyone in this company and in this industry, are aware of the urgency, Mr Pal says.

What is most remarkable about what they are doing is that instead of trying to reengineer the global economy  as is required, for example, for the use of hydrogen fuel  they are trying to make a product that is interchangeable with oil. The company claims that this Oil 2.0 will not only be renewable but also carbon negative  meaning that the carbon it emits will be less than that sucked from the atmosphere by the raw materials from which it is made.

LS9 has already convinced one oil industry veteran of its plan: Bob Walsh, 50, who now serves as the firms president after a 26-year career at Shell, most recently running European supply operations in London. How many times in your life do you get the opportunity to grow a multi-billion-dollar company? he asks. It is a bold statement from a man who works in a glorified cubicle in a San Francisco industrial estate for a company that describes itself as being prerevenue.

Inside LS9s cluttered laboratory  funded by $20 million of start-up capital from investors including Vinod Khosla, the Indian-American entrepreneur who co-founded Sun Micro-systems  Mr Pal explains that LS9s bugs are single-cell organisms, each a fraction of a billionth the size of an ant. They start out as industrial yeast or nonpathogenic strains of E. coli, but LS9 modifies them by custom-de-signing their DNA. Five to seven years ago, that process would have taken months and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, he says. Now it can take weeks and cost maybe $20,000.

Because crude oil (which can be refined into other products, such as petroleum or jet fuel) is only a few molecular stages removed from the fatty acids normally excreted by yeast or E. coli during fermentation, it does not take much fiddling to get the desired result.

For fermentation to take place you need raw material, or feedstock, as it is known in the biofuels industry. Anything will do as long as it can be broken down into sugars, with the byproduct ideally burnt to produce electricity to run the plant.

The company is not interested in using corn as feedstock, given the much-publicised problems created by using food crops for fuel, such as the tortilla inflation that recently caused food riots in Mexico City. Instead, different types of agricultural waste will be used according to whatever makes sense for the local climate and economy: wheat straw in California, for example, or woodchips in the South.

Using genetically modified bugs for fermentation is essentially the same as using natural bacteria to produce ethanol, although the energy-intensive final process of distillation is virtually eliminated because the bugs excrete a substance that is almost pump-ready.

The closest that LS9 has come to mass production is a 1,000-litre fermenting machine, which looks like a large stainless-steel jar, next to a wardrobe-sized computer connected by a tangle of cables and tubes. It has not yet been plugged in. The machine produces the equivalent of one barrel a week and takes up 40 sq ft of floor space.

However, to substitute Americas weekly oil consumption of 143 million barrels, you would need a facility that covered about 205 square miles, an area roughly the size of Chicago.

That is the main problem: although LS9 can produce its bug fuel in laboratory beakers, it has no idea whether it will be able produce the same results on a nationwide or even global scale.

Our plan is to have a demonstration-scale plant operational by 2010 and, in parallel, well be working on the design and construction of a commercial-scale facility to open in 2011, says Mr Pal, adding that if LS9 used Brazilian sugar cane as its feedstock, its fuel would probably cost about $50 a barrel.

Are Americans ready to be putting genetically modified bug excretion in their cars? Its not the same as with food, Mr Pal says. Were putting these bacteria in a very isolated container: their entire universe is in that tank. When were done with them, theyre destroyed.

Besides, he says, there is greater good being served. I have two children, and climate change is something that they are going to face. The energy crisis is something that they are going to face. We have a collective responsibility to do this.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4133668.ece
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Re: Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:44:59 AM »
Our plan is to have a demonstration-scale plant operational by 2010 and, in parallel, well be working on the design and construction of a commercial-scale facility to open in 2011, says Mr Pal, adding that if LS9 used Brazilian sugar cane as its feedstock, its fuel would probably cost about $50 a barrel.

And in other news, oil companies have shift billions of R&D funding into antibiotic research....
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:52:09 AM »
And the government is not funding this project at all.

Which is strange, given that these guys are just ful of crap.  grin

This just might be the proof we were looking for that America can still product a tangible product.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:00:40 AM »
I like the idea. Could solve the problems with waste disposal as well, think about Florence and the pileup they had; if all the organics from the garbage were separated out and sent to processing tanks instead, I doubt they'd be filling their landfills at all.

Heh, seal up a sanitary landfill nice and tight at the bottom and sprinkle some dried bacteria powder while turning the top, let it set 5-10 years and pump a couple million barrels Smiley

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:06:49 AM »
How do you milk 'em ??

shocked
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:09:08 AM »
How do you milk 'em ??

shocked

You don't have to.

They're incontinent.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:18:40 AM »
PETA will come along and decide that its cruel for the little bugs to work for us!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »
Or at least demand they have rights.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24:18 AM »
However, to substitute Americas weekly oil consumption of 143 million barrels, you would need a facility that covered about 205 square miles, an area roughly the size of Chicago.

Yet another benefit: turn Chicago into an oil factory  cool

They need to get this down to a size that fits in the trunk of your car.  When you run low on "fuel" just stop and pilfer some watermelon rinds and stale beer out of a garbage can  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:32:09 AM »
"However, to substitute Americas weekly oil consumption of 143 million barrels, you would need a facility that covered about 205 square miles, an area roughly the size of Chicago."

I'm certain that the Democrats will shut the program down, then.

It can't conceivably replace all of our oil needs for all time, so we shouldn't do it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »
See, that's why I worry little. The high costs of oil are in and of themselve a de-factor subsidy for this sort of research.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 06:37:49 AM »
When you run low on "fuel" just stop and pilfer some watermelon rinds and stale beer out of a garbage can  grin

Mr. Fusion anyone? Smiley

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 06:40:53 AM »
If you put all the nations oil refineries in one place, how much land do you think they would take up?  The Houston Ship Channel area alone probably takes up almost half that much even though that is not all oil. 

I took a boat tour of about half the Houston Ship Channel once and there are a whole bunch of plants and operations along that thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:09:01 AM »
Man, I wish for the day that I could buy a packet of these just like a packet of yeast, and download a spec sheet to build my home-bio-reactor to...

mfree

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »
WOW! I just thought of something... Could this little bug lead to a replacement for the septic tank?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 09:32:49 AM »
WOW! I just thought of something... Could this little bug lead to a replacement for the septic tank?

Now there's an idea - your own underground gas tank right in your front yard  cool

We could be flush with all the fuel we need  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
You know - I seem to remember hearing about something like this IIRC a year ago.  Do these 'breakthroughs' ever hit production?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 09:42:18 AM »
You know - I seem to remember hearing about something like this IIRC a year ago.  Do these 'breakthroughs' ever hit production?

They still have a few bugs to work out.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
When you run low on "fuel" just stop and pilfer some watermelon rinds and stale beer out of a garbage can  grin

Mr. Fusion anyone? Smiley

Chris

More like Mr. Yucky Fusion..........
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 10:38:14 AM »
Mr. Flushin'.   grin

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
Can this process be used to make booze?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
I'm sure they can tinker with it some more to have it piss booze laugh. The Real question is: Would you drink it? I mean, it's bug piss... Tongue

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
However, to substitute Americas weekly oil consumption of 143 million barrels, you would need a facility that covered about 205 square miles, an area roughly the size of Chicago."

As a former resident of Chicago, I would welcome a giant bug farm on top of Chicago.  It would raise the intellecutal level of the city by a few IQ points and finally Chicago would produce something other than corruption and crime.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
I'm sure they can tinker with it some more to have it piss booze laugh. The Real question is: Would you drink it? I mean, it's bug piss... Tongue

I don't suppose you've ever eaten honey Huh?   laugh

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »
...download a spec sheet to build my home-bio-reactor to...

The bioreactor would not be that tough.  Its all the ancillary support equipment that would be the rub.  Constant source of steam (regular and clean), constant cooling, clean water free of all the stuff thats in tap water, pressurized air, heavy duty electical feed for the agitators.  Not to mention all the controllers and instramentation to control the thing.

Would you drink it? I mean, it's bug piss...

Like you've never drunk a beer...  grin

Not bad as an article goes, but I'd really like to see the details on what metabolic pathways were modified and how.  LS9's web site: http://www.ls9.com/index.html

Pity they are in San Francisco, such an endevor might be a fun way to jump back into Biotech were they in Colorado.  I've LOTS of experience growing E. coli.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.