Author Topic: Middle age funk question  (Read 7458 times)

Lee

• friend
Middle age funk question
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
I know this is partly due to age and mild Autumn depression...but I am curious if others go through funks like this.  I keep getting in these "I'm gonna sell all my formerly important crap" moods. Happens nearly every Fall.   I just don't care much about many of the things I used to obsess over.  I've pretty much given up hunting and shooting...so those treasures in my gun safe are starting to look like cash reserves (but ones that require maintenance).  They also remind me that I never do anything any more...and should.  Same with my motorcycle - it sits in the garage and taunts me for getting older....I'll show it and sell the bastard.  Collectables and coins....they're just old stuff now.
 I'm not strapped for cash, but it would be nice to have a pile of it sitting in the safe waiting for a new obsession...if it ever comes...and at a great, one day, cash only price. The trouble is, there isn't much I want anymore (at least that I can afford) A Nissan GTR would be nice....but that will have to wait for my next life.
Additionally, I don't want to scramble to unload stuff for 10 cents on the dollar after I stroke out or something....or leave that to my wife and daughters.  But I am afraid that if I do part with most of these things now, I'll just become another suburban dog walker, who frets about missing Wheel of Fortune.     

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Middle age funk question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
I am curious if others go through funks like this.

Yes.  Last 3 or 4 years.  Periodic seasonal funk.  Winter is especially bad.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »
S.A.D.S.

Bit early in the year for the onset, though ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Get your testosterone level checked.
Seriously.
As we get older hormone levels can begin to drop off. Sometimes more than they ought to.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
S.A.D.S.  Bit early in the year for the onset, though ...
Cod liver oil helps with that.  You're right tho', it's too early.

Get your testosterone level checked.
Seriously.
As we get older hormone levels can begin to drop off. Sometimes more than they ought to.
That one is quite possible.  It could also be diabetes.
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
Umm, send me a pm with what guns you'd like to sell and coins too.  I'll double your expectation to 20 cents on the dollar. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »
Really?!?!  This is the time of the year, I get antsy.  There's the Youth Deer Season that I host a camp for (we've got three boys and their dads going hunting), then there's my Deer Camp.  I'm going for at least two weeks, maybe push it to 17 days.  17 Days of hanging out in the deer woods.  That just sounds soothing.  Then my son and I will do some pheasant hunting at a couple of Put and Take preserves near us.  I'm also taking a friend from the Army out on her first Pheasant Hunt this winter.

Then once the hunting seasons are over (or it's too cold), there's reloading and Cub Scout stuff (and come February, it'll be Boy Scout stuff) to work on and help with.   Having a 10 soon to be 11 year old, keeps the interest level up.  I don't want to think about when he's 17 and doesn't want to hang with dad anymore.  Right now I'm still really cool to be with and I'm enjoying every minute.

Maybe try becoming a Big Brother (41Mag to the white courtesy phone) or find some organization and volunteer.  Look beyond and see what you can offer. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:37:21 AM »
Really?!?!  This is the time of the year, I get antsy. 

Same here...as the temps drop from the high 90's to the low 70's I start thinking about the woods and that certain ridge above the lake I didn't get to last year.  Granted I'm not middle aged (what's middle age?  =D)
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:34 AM »
Same here...as the temps drop from the high 90's to the low 70's I start thinking about the woods and that certain ridge above the lake I didn't get to last year.  Granted I'm not middle aged (what's middle age?  =D)

That really can't be determined until after you die.  If you die say at 70 middle age would've been 35. :facepalm:  Not that hard to figure out. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
It does seem to be a function of decreases in ability/desire to do stuff related to the stuff you are thinking about getting rid of.  Which means there is a good bet there is a connection between health/wellness and how you feel about stuff.  (Well, duh!)

Unfortunately, getting "better" does not seem to be a cure for a lot of what you are going through/going to go through.  Depression is an additive disease - it makes life worse to the point that it takes on a life of its own in addition to the rest of you.  There's a TV commercial for the newest best drug for making money off of depressed people that has a catoon dark cloud following some depressed lady around.  It's more true than funny, and often it does in fact take meds to deal with the physiological changes/chemical imbalances depression brings.

I've had much better luck with 15-minute meds management visits with a psychiatrist than 50-minute hours with any other modality.  If you are going to look at meds, be sure to get a doc who knows what they are doing - you will probably figure out if the one you are seeing is just pushing scrips or has some understanding of the chemistry involved just by asking questions about what does this pill do and why?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:49:25 AM »
Vitamin D, more exercise.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
+1 on physical activity.

Hiking, cycling, whatever, get out and maximize the daylight you receive.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
How long has it been since you have had a woman?  chris3

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
+1 on physical activity.

Hiking, cycling, whatever, get out and maximize the daylight you receive.

Nude sunbathing ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
Your title had me wondering if you were talking about the old people musty odor. =D

Seriously, you are beginning to experience a normal thing that occurs when you age.  The older you get you will find that much of what you thought was important no longer has a grasp on you.  The upside of that is you will begin to notice that simple things you did not pay attention to, start to give you pleasure.

In younger days I was into contact sports like sand lot football, basketball, softball and the like.  I hunted small and large game.  I had toys like street motorcycles and dirt bikes and snowmobiles.  I was very particular about clothing and partying, and working at the job was working at it rather than playing at it.

Now I'm not saying that you find that you don't do any of the things that took up a lot of your time and attention, it's just that they won't occupy the level of importance that they did.  All of a sudden you'll find yourself being quieter in your mind.  Contentment starts to replace the elusive and sometimes frantic search for happiness. (define happiness, for me.  It's like "fairness", it really can't be defined as one man's castle may be another's prison.)  Relationships begin to change in subtle ways.  You find that all that wisdom you thought you had was only ego, and you start to chuckle at watching those younger than you make the same mistakes you did, or think they have a handle on a thing you know won't work because you discovered otherwise.  You will begin to grin over things that used to cause anger and frustration.  You will also walk around things that you used to jump over.

You'll begin to see that little things that you never paid any attention to in the past start to cause you to pause and smile and maybe cause a deep breath and a moment of null.  Each of the seasons, as they change, offer smells and sights and sounds that bring contentment.  Listening to birds and watching the trees bud and then leaf and then fall or see the ferns take over the ground in an oak forest, or waiting for dogwoods to bloom in the stark late winter woods, or the earthy smell of the soil on a warm spring morning as the worms begin to turn the dirt under the grass, or see the mist on the lake on a quiet fall morning.  In the deep darkness of the late night, if you are around water, you will hear ducks talking to each other in the spring and fall, and hear the mysterious groaning and booming of the winter lake as it makes ice.  Or you hear the wooshing of a neighbors furnace exhaust on a crisp and cold and quiet star filled night.  As you gaze upwards you become humbled by the magnificent size of the starry night and wonder at the arrogance of humans who believe they are the masters of that universe.

As you age you come to appreciate that you are nearer to the final chapter of your life and somehow that doesn't bring the sadness that maybe you might think...just the contentment you stumbled upon after realizing that seeking happiness is only another chore that in the seeking only brings uncertainty and angst.  You understand that being older is much better than being younger.  Your horizons are wider and deeper and that is surprising and comforting...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:46:09 AM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
Dibs on the bike.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »
Oh hell, I tried to cheer him up.
 =|

Dibs on the reloading gear.
 :P >:D >:D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
How long has it been since you have had a woman?

I'm married...so a long time ago.  That's why I need more cash ha ha.  In an odd way this is related to my whole issue - e.g. perfectly functional equipment not being used the way it was intended to be depresses me. Always lubing never using.   >:D 

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Grampster.  I do try to appreciate the little things. In fact that is really part of reason why I'm feeling this way. As George Carlin used to joke - we continue to fill up our houses/lives with more "stuff".

I was checked for Testosterone a couple of years ago and it was OK...but I might try it again...because I can get it real cheap through my employer.

It's gonna be a long winter.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
I was checked for Testosterone a couple of years ago and it was OK...but I might try it again...because I can get it real cheap through my employer.

Testosterone, or the check?

It's gonna be a long winter.

<sarc>I'm so looking forward to it.</sarc>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
The hormone.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
Dibs on the bike.

Oh hell, I tried to cheer him up.   =|

Dibs on the reloading gear.
 :P >:D >:D

Is it too late for dibs on the guns?  How about the silver?    :angel:
"It's good, though..."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
I love Dibs....as long as they are green and have pics of Presidents on them. :laugh:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
I'm going to echo what Grampster said.

I went through something along the same lines as you when I was in my 40's. I had all sorts of toys that I thought I'd always wanted---the Jag XKE, the full-auto Thompson, all sorts of things.

I finally actually saw that life was finite, and that all of the "stuff" requires time to keep it in good shape, time that could be devoted to actually living. So I sold all sorts of things. It amazed my wife, because the Jag, the Thompson and other objects were things I'd talked about having since I was a teen.

I don't look back and regret getting rid of that stuff. I don't really need any of the stuff I have now, and wouldn't be upset if I had to part with any of it.

All I want now is sex. It would be easier getting another Thompson, though. ;)

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
I love Dibs....as long as they are green and have pics of Presidents on them. :laugh:

My son is ten, he can draw and color pretty good.  :P

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
I'm going to echo what Grampster said.

I went through something along the same lines as you when I was in my 40's. I had all sorts of toys that I thought I'd always wanted---the Jag XKE, the full-auto Thompson, all sorts of things.

I finally actually saw that life was finite, and that all of the "stuff" requires time to keep it in good shape, time that could be devoted to actually living. So I sold all sorts of things. It amazed my wife, because the Jag, the Thompson and other objects were things I'd talked about having since I was a teen.

I don't look back and regret getting rid of that stuff. I don't really need any of the stuff I have now, and wouldn't be upset if I had to part with any of it.

All I want now is sex. It would be easier getting another Thompson, though. ;)

Whatever happened to that trip to Nevada that you were planning...?   ;)

My middle age funk is based on being tired and hurting and lacking energy, and knowing it ain't gonna get any better ...  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin