Author Topic: Middle age funk question  (Read 7459 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Middle age funk question
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »
My middle age funk is based on being tired and hurting and lacking energy[/quote
Yeah....I think that is a huge part of it for me as well.  As my dad used to say, "my get up and go, got up and went". 

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
I assume you still have the full auto Thompson! 

If not you got some 'splainin' to do, dood!

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
I've watched best bud go through this every fall/winter for the past ten+ years. Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Here's a shortlist:
-  Exercise (and sunlight if you can get it)
-  Vitamins
-  Setting up little treats for yourself over time so you always have something ahead to look forward to
-  Change up your routine a bit
-  Seduce the wife (sex cures a lot!)
-  Don't make any major decisions until you're on the other side of it (i.e. selling things that you really enjoyed, buying things that sound like a good idea right now)
-  Cut yourself some slack and don't over-analyze things

Good luck Lee. You'll get through it. And do have the testosterone checked. Best Bud and I joke around all the time that her hubby's going through MENopause, but there is a hormone fluctuation for men as they age too.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
These days, sex with the wife and riding my horse are the only things that make life worth living.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
I've watched best bud go through this every fall/winter for the past ten+ years. Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Here's a shortlist:
-  Exercise (and sunlight if you can get it)

I'm 250lbs.  Running would hurt my feet.  I bike when I can, but the snow can get deep.

-  Vitamins

3 grams C, niacin, assorted others stuff.

-  Cut yourself some slack and don't over-analyze things

Good luck Lee. You'll get through it. And do have the testosterone checked. Best Bud and I joke around all the time that her hubby's going through MENopause, but there is a hormone fluctuation for men as they age too.

No medical insurance.  Health care is catch as catch can, whatever can be afforded.  I am fortunate to have good genes.

It may help this year, that I have cut my caffeine and coffee to almost nothing.  I think it was making me stupid.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »

My middle age funk is based on being tired and hurting and lacking energy, and knowing it ain't gonna get any better ...  =(

I resemble that remark.

This is going to be the first year in the last four that I have time to really go hunting. And I might be broke enough this year to need the added meat.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »
I assume you still have the full auto Thompson! 

If not you got some 'splainin' to do, dood!

Very quickly, as I've told this before, and don't want to veer the thread: bought for $1800 in 1988. Prices were going nowhere, wasn't shooting it much because ammo was $$$. Had my eye on something else in 1996, and figured I could always get another Thompson. Sold it for the $1800 I paid. Rest is history.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 11:59:37 PM »
<sniff>Sad story</sniff>
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
You don't want to veer this thread, Dick?  Shame on you, sir.  Shame, shame shame on you. :P =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
I'm 250lbs.  Running would hurt my feet.  I bike when I can, but the snow can get deep.

3 grams C, niacin, assorted others stuff.

No medical insurance.  Health care is catch as catch can, whatever can be afforded.  I am fortunate to have good genes.

It may help this year, that I have cut my caffeine and coffee to almost nothing.  I think it was making me stupid.

Walking and simple calisthenics would help. I understand about no health insurance, been in that boat for a while. But GNC or some equivalent "health" store would likely have some sort of testosterone supplement. Do some research online to help determine how much to use/take. Give it a month.
And I stand by the theory of giving yourself something to look forward to. It really does help. One of my favorite quotes (by Chalmers) is "The Grand Essentials of Happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
Pretty basic, but true.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Warhorse

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »
Definition of middle age? My definition is "10 years older than I am now."  =D

Having said that, 80 somehow doesn't seem all that old any more.  :O

Take it for what it's worth.

Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »
Having said that, 80 somehow doesn't seem all that old any more. 

Hell, I can see 80 from my window. (Actually, I can see Sarah Palin from my window, but that's another story).