Author Topic: new to me 10/22, need advice  (Read 7456 times)

brimic

• friends
new to me 10/22, need advice
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
What are the requisite mods for a 10/22?
I just bought one yesterday on a whim  and am having a little bit of buyer's remorse already as I really wanted a Henry rifle (it reminded me of the Ithaca 49 I used to have) but he 10/22 won out because of its infininte upgrades/aftermarket parts.

I've heard these are good rifles if you throw away all of the Ruger parts and replace them with Volquartsen, but I've never owned one before and don't want to waste money unnecessessarily.

Trigger- its teh suck, reminds of the trigger on one of my kids nerf guns. Is there anything that can be done with the stock trigger or do I go directly to aftermarket?

Magazines? Which brands? Which to avoid?
Stock? Do I save it or burn it in the fireplace? The wood actually looks decent, just not fondof the plastic barrel band or the rough finish.

Sights? I'm looking at these: http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm Not sure which to get yet. I'm not planning on scoping it, I have a few very accurate bolt actions in that role already.

Barrels? Any recommended aftermarket barrels? I'll probably keep the stock barrel unless its unsatisfactory.

Sling mounts?

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: new to me 10/22, need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
I do not have a 10/22.

However, this is the mod that makes me want to purchase one.

Not requisite, but the most fun mod, IMO.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
My opinion is LTR-standard is plenty good enough.

-Techsights or low power scope
-1.25" sling swivels
-Cotton GI web sling or M1907 sling
-stock barrel
-stock stock :P  (if there is evidence of barrel rubbing or torque, some elbow grease and sandpaper should be used)
-stock trigger, break it in for at least 1000 rounds before investing in Volquartsen or others.

I do HATE/LOATHE/ABHOR the bolt catch/release on the 10/22.  Teaching a new shooter to use it is a PITA at every appleseed, and for that reason I greatly favor the Marlin 795 as an Appleseed LTR (and cost, and no barrel band, and comes with a factory standard last shot bolt hold open).

That being said, I own 1 10/22... the takedown model.  It's my motorcycle rifle.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »
I'm currently in the process of building a 10/22 into an Appleseed LTR (Liberty Training Rifle). I bought extra Ruger BX-1 magazines, a set of Uncle Mike's 1-1/4" sling swivels, a 1-1/4" cotton sling, and the TSR100 Tech Sights. I filed off the little horn on the bolt-lock so that it will auto-release. I haven't gotten into upgrading the internals yet, but as soon as I put the whole thing together I'm going to shoot it for a while and then see what I want to upgrade further.
Andy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »
I have a bone stock 10/22 with factory iron sights. I can consistantly shoot pop cans at 50 yards all day long.

Just remember after you spend all that money on upgrades, it is still just a .22 LR.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
I built up a very nice and very accurate 10/22 years ago.  I don't remember all of the goodies, but the key parts were:
Green Mtn 18" fluted SS barrel with match chamber
Laminate Field Silhouette stock
Modified bolt (radiused rear for easier cocking, pinned firing pin to prevent 1st shot fliers, reset headspace)
Extended bolt release
Volquartsen hammer
Home-brewed overtravel stop
urethane bolt buffer
trigger and hammer shims and oversized pins to remove play
Volquartsen Extractor

There might be more, but those were the big items.

Gun was 100% reliable and never misfired.  It would put 10 shots from 50yds into a hole that could be easily covered by a dime.  the only drawback was that it weighed a ton.  It was great at the range, but near useless for hunting, so I sold it.  If I did it again, I'd go with a sporter profile barrel (with match chamber) and a traditional stock, but keep the other mods as they contributed to the reliability and accuracy without making it unwieldy.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
My opinion is LTR-standard is plenty good enough.

-Techsights or low power scope
-1.25" sling swivels
-Cotton GI web sling or M1907 sling
-stock barrel
-stock stock   (if there is evidence of barrel rubbing or torque, some elbow grease and sandpaper should be used)
-stock trigger, break it in for at least 1000 rounds before investing in Volquartsen or others.

That's kind of how I envision it going, the Appleseed style set up.

Bolt hold open? From monkeying  with and cleaning mine so far, I don't see any form of bolt hold open, though I didn't read the manual yet.

However, this is the mod that makes me want to purchase one.

Not requisite, but the most fun mod, IMO.
Do want.

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
Stick with the Ruger mags (they make hi caps these days) and techsights. VQ hammer if you want to make the trigger "more better". I didn't mess with mine otherwise.

There is a manual bolt hold open that you can use if you like. VQ makes a kit to extend it and whatnot. Personally I don't ever use mine.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Trigger- its teh suck, reminds of the trigger on one of my kids nerf guns. Is there anything that can be done with the stock trigger or do I go directly to aftermarket?
The Volquartsen hammer took the pull on my 10/22 down to about 2 1/2 lbs, but there's a little creep to it; it's still the best trigger "bang for the buck" out there.

Magazines? Stick to Ruger. Both the standard 10 round mags and the new 25 round mags work fine.

Polishing the bolt and operating rod are worthwhile . . . I used progressively finer grits of sandpaper backed up with a surface plate (window glass would do, too) on the bolt, finishing up at 1500 grit and then a felt-wheel polish with Simichrome. (Bolt surface still has pits, probably artifacts of the casting process. No functional effect.) The operating rod was rough, so polishing that smoothed up operation more than polishing the bolt.

There's plenty of information at rimfirecentral.com on suggested mods for the 10/22 . . . do a little or do a lot (I did a lot), you can find good advice there.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
I have a bone stock 10/22 with factory iron sights. I can consistantly shoot pop cans at 50 yards all day long.

Just remember after you spend all that money on upgrades, it is still just a .22 LR.

Sorry not totally true, I did get a extended magazine release, the factory one sucks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
You can de-turd it quite a bit. Install pretravel and overtravel set-screws, and carefully stone the stock parts, and you can get a very reasonable trigger. If you don't want to stone the parts, buy a VQ hammer. If you don't want to heat up the disconnector to install a set-screw, do the JB weld mod. If you don't want to mess with it at all, there are people who do 'core exchange' 10/22 trigger group exchanges. Or buy a Jewell trigger.

Magazines? Which brands? Which to avoid?
Only buy Ruger.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
My advice is worth what you paid for it, but here's my short list of things I changed.

Extended Mag Release
Butler Creek Steel Lips 25rd Magazines
Recoil Buffer Pin

Those are the three things I saw as the primary functional upgrades. Most anything else I did, such as the folding stock, and optics rail would fall under personal aesthetics and such.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
Be aware that if you replace the barrel with something like a Green Mountain barrel you may have problems with ejecting.  I have a Volquartsen trigger and hammer and they are worth every penny.  I built the gun for bench rest matches so the weight of the bull barrel and the failures to eject spent cases doesn't bother me much.  With high velocity rounds it almost never happens, with stuff like Wolf, Eley, RWS and a few others that were all 40 grain rounds at about 1040 fps it would happen on a semi regular basis. 

The ejection problem doesn't bother me a bit, if I decide I want to hunt with it instead of my TC R-55 I'll just stick a lighter barrel with a looser chamber back on it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
DM, try the Volquartsen extractor.  It isn't expensive and should fix that problem.  I never had extraction problems with mine.

Chris

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I wish the triggers weren't so damn expensive. They cost more than some of the cheaper Remington 700 triggers, which is ludicrous.  =(

The two mods I've done to mine is replace the bolt buffer with a Volquartsen recoil buffer and installed a Volquartsen automatic bolt release. Those are the two cheapest and easiest mods, IMO.

Eventually I'm going to replace the trigger group. Mine is plastic, and like the OP said feels like a freaking nerf gun. I may just look around for an older factory one made out of metal that someone is replacing; it can't be any worse than the plastic one. I also want to replace the stock eventually; I need a bigger one, and the factory synthetic one is kind of cheap feeling. Other than that I don't really plan on doing much to it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
I had to get the TSR200 version of the tech sights.  In my rifle, I did not have enough adjustment in the front sight post to get the POI anywhere near where it needed to be.

Mods in mine:
Ram-line extended magazine release installed in the early 90's.
I sanded the magwell a bit to open it up
removed a small bit of metal from the magazine well so magazines were easier to insert
bedded the barrel
had the barrel threaded and the front sight dovetail set back for my suppressor
slicked up the trigger after many thousands of rounds
recoil buffer pin
GI Sling

For magazines, I am still using the plastic butler creek units I bought before the 94 ban, they are all still working perfectly.  The gun is 100% reliable other than the extra blow back from the suppressor gets it dirty faster.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:35:09 PM by 41magsnub »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
Sell it, and get what you really want. I regret buying mine.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
I regret buying mine.
What's wrong with it?

I had to get the TSR200 version of the tech sights.  In my rifle, I did not have enough adjustment in the front sight post to get the POI anywhere near where it needed to be.

Does it shoot too high or too low?

Barack Obama

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
What's wrong with it?

Does it shoot too high or too low?

Way high, like 8 inches at 25 yards.  My 10/22 is a bit odd though, it is one of the carbine models with a different barrel profile and stock from the factory.  After cranking up the rear it is fine now.  The 100 version did not have a rear elevation adjustment.  I haven't ever heard of anybody else having the same problem.  This was before I had the barrel shortened and threaded.  When it came back oddly enough it was still dead on (I only sent the guy the barrel).

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
Well first I'd say go shoot it a bunch in stock configuration just to give yourself a feel for baseline. Then try the trigger and sight upgrades mentioned. Fortunately the 10/22 is so easy to dork around with that you can do it in dribs and drabs as time and $ allow. Just don't keep track or you'll suddenly realize that you have a $600 10/22. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »

Not true.  I kitbashed a grungy old 10/22 for the express purpose of prairie dog hunting out to 100 yards.

The only things original on mine are the receiver, bolt, and trigger housing. 

I radiused the hammer end of the bolt and machined the boltface to 0.042" depth for optimal headspace.

Here's the build list:

1. 1976 vintage 10/22 from pawn shop
2. Adams & Bennett 18" heavy blued steel barrel from the Midway catalogue
3. Fajen Midnight Laminate Aristocrat stock, Midway special w/barrel
4. Weaver scope base, extruded aluminum, real hi-tech!
5. Millett Steel Angle-Loc windage adjustable medium rings
6. Volquartsen match hammer, bolt release, and mag release
7. Power Custom titanium trigger, sharp claw extractor, trigger shims, and spring kit
8. Brownell's replacement firing pin, and oversize action pins
9. Buffer Technologies urethane bolt buffer
10. BSA Contender 6-24x40 target scope w/4" sunshade & 1/8" click target turrets
11. Brownell's Acraglas bedding compound - barrel and receiver bedded

With good ammo (Eley, Lapua, etc) , I have no problems keeping 5 rounds inside 1/4" or less at 50 yards.

The local rimfire silhouette matches are a hoot, too!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
I love my bone stock "all weather" 10/22.  Only thing I've done is add a low end scope.

My first .22 was a 10/22.  Confirmed 97 yard rabbit kill with open sights from the standing position. 

Build to your heart's content, but don't overlook the sheer rapid fire joy of a bone stock 10/22.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 09:28:35 AM »
Here's my 10/22

* Basic 10/22 from 1980s, still with metal trigger guard assembly.
* Laminated Richards Micro-Fit stock, tung oil finish, fitted & glass bedded with custom pillar estucheon & added zebrawood buttplate
* Volquartsen THM carbon fiber wrapped barrel with compensator
* Volquartsen hammer and bolt release
* Buffer Tech polymer bolt stop pin
* Polished bolt and guide rod
* Leupold 6.5-20 'scope.
* Leupold mount and rings. (Replaced the Weaver in the picture.)

I'm not a gunsmith, but the 10/22 is an easy platform to work on, so I was able to do all the work myself. It's very reliable and will put 5 shots under 1/4" at 50 yards with good match ammo. Sometimes I think about putting in a Kidd trigger, but then I wonder - will it help me shoot even smaller groups? So I do something else with the money.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
The local rimfire silhouette matches are a hoot, too!

That is a beautiful rifle, I didn't think 10/22s could look or shoot that good. :cool:

I haven't seen too many 10/22s at silhouette matches, almost exclusively bolt guns.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
Thd Hornet drop in trigger assembly replacement was recommended to me a few months back.  It is about $100.  It improved the trigger greatly and the bolt hold button operation works much better.  I'd recommend it over more expensive options.  I tried installing a Volquartzen trigger parts kit on another 10/22 and it helped, but the completely drop in kit was much much easier and works better. 

I put a aftermarket bull barrel and a replacement stock on mine.  I have a 12 power scope to play with tight groups.  I got some match .22 ammo, but I haven't shot with it just yet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge