Author Topic: Who was banned from THR?  (Read 7465 times)

Ron

Re: Who was banned from THR?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
APS Rawks!!! grin

I have no issues with this place or THR

For whatever reason I just don't spend as much time at THR as compared to years ago.  The DU type trolling in the L&P may have something to do with it, the schism among otherwise natural allies the Iraq war has fostered may be another reason.

Your moderating has been fine, no self deprecation necessary.

If there is a weird vibe I think it was in L&P and to a lesser extent GGD @THR

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »
No attempt at self depreciation.

Just laying out things as I see them.

I have, however, been getting wind of some possible changes that could result in signficiant differences in how things are moderated here. That, however, should affect no one currently here.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »
If longeyes is the great guy you all seem to think he is, then don't you think someone has jacked his screen-name?  Whoever is using "longeyes" around here has really tried to make himself a martyr, but only succeeded in sounding like a drama queen.  But then, I'm always disgusted when people debut on APS by complaining that they were victimized on THR. 

Fistful, you really, really misunderstand.  My world hasn't come crashing down because I was driven out of Paradise with a cryptic one-liner.  I'd really backed off on posting at THR because I saw a climatic change in the place over the last several months.  It was obvious to me that the walls were closing in.  Certain topics I considered important, not only in the matter of gun rights but in the matter of this nation's survival, had become unwelcome.  I got the message and absented myself from L&P and hung out, in the main, with the semi-auto guys.

I'm no drama queen and no "victim."  And there are no deep, dark secrets you don't know.  You know what I know.  Maybe my "sin" was just being direct?  I am just someone who is here to alert the THR membership that something just may be rotten in Denmark.  After seven years and seven thousand posts I think I've earned the right to offer a modest appraisal of "the State of the Forum."  THR was a great place to hang out, and it was, without doubt, a great education.  I learned a lot and sharpened my thinking and my writing.  No regrets.  I only hope its best days aren't behind it.

Godspeed to all.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »
Maybe Ron is right and I am being too harsh.  But all the talk of "rewriting history" and comparisons to the USSR seem really overboard to me. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »
But all the talk of "rewriting history" and comparisons to the USSR seem really overboard to me.

That was over the top and weakened my position  grin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 03:18:36 AM »
I was banned once for calling someone a mall ninja and a few other things.  Turns out that's a personal attack
 laugh
The guy was engaged in blackburn style posting, and I called a mall ninja a mall ninja.  I managed to get myself reinstated.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:10 AM »
I'm with Mike-

I don't see too many posts that have been closed without discussion amongst the mods.  There have been posts that mod A wanted closed, and mod B said to hang on.  I have had people that I think need to be drawn and quartered, but other mods have told me to chill.  We keep eachother in check, rather nicely I think.

Maybe one or two, but by and large, I think that y'all have a pretty free reign.

One day at a time.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 03:53:52 AM »
I have a hunch the war in Iraq has, indeed, divided us.

Divide and conquer has been an effective tactic since we walked on all fours half the time and fought our wars with rocks and sticks.

We'll soon be living in interesting times, I'm afraid.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

silliman89

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 03:56:42 AM »
Original post retracted.  In hindsight it was rude and pointless.  (If anyone is curious, it's quoted repeatedly below.) 

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 04:08:59 AM »
I think anyone who has a picture of a clubbed seal next to their name probably should be banned.  Maybe it's profiling, but I just can't imagine anyone that tasteless and imature is ever going to have any positive contribution to discussion.

Gee, your first post and you've already managed to piss off people and reveal shallow thinking, if any at all.
In fact JamisJockey contributes plenty here, a hell of a lot more than you're likely to, sonny.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 04:22:22 AM »
I think anyone who has a picture of a clubbed seal next to their name probably should be banned.  Maybe it's profiling, but I just can't imagine anyone that tasteless and imature is ever going to have any positive contribution to discussion.

I think anyone without a picture next to thier name probably should be banned, as they obviously cannot figure out how this forum works
 grin
I'm pleased you find my avatar offensive, and that you find yourself so important that with your first post you can advocate banning a member with over fifteen-hundred posts.
All hail your importancenessiness!!!!!!!!!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 04:22:42 AM »
I happen to enjoy seal clubbing.

But i do think there needs to be limits

Walrus clubbing is right out.

Next thing you know, there an enraged tusked pinniped taking up half the bar,
and he's drunkenly asking your girlfriend if she knows where his bucket has disappeared to.

Its just not right.
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/05/the_walrus_buck.html

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 04:28:53 AM »
in fact i think seal clubbing is THE litmus test that separates the men from the goys

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 04:38:38 AM »
Silliman, NOT an auspicious start to your tenure here.

Everyone else -- let's not make this the seal clubbing club thread.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Matt King

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 05:51:01 AM »
Hey everyone, you might remember me from THR as "Texas" or my new screen name: Matt King.

I am the libertarian poster that used to post in L&P, and enjoyed polite debate. When I first heard that L&P was shut down, I was disappointed. I was even more disappointed when I heard how many people were banned. I still dont understand why Budney, Manedwolf, and longeyes were all banned. I always had the impression that they were decent and respectful members.

I have decided to register here, because I too have noticed the change in the air over at THR. It just hasnt felt right recently. Methinks I will be spending less and less time over at THR. 

See you around.  smiley

Matt King

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 06:11:18 AM »
One of the major problems IMHO is the inconsistency of the Moderating. For example, threads about civil liberties will be shut down, while threads about Illegal Immigration will be left to go on and on.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 06:53:15 AM »
MK:

Perhaps it was less to do about the subject matter than the tone/attitude of the posters?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »
I suggest a public posting of all who were banned along with a succinct statement of why.  Let's have some transparency in this peaceable kingdom.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »
That is certainly Oleg's choice if he chooses to do so, but I sincerely doubt that he will.

It's your business why you were banned.

It's not your business why someone else was banned unless that individual chooses to share the reason with you.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »
One of the major problems IMHO is the inconsistency of the Moderating. For example, threads about civil liberties will be shut down, while threads about Illegal Immigration will be left to go on and on.

One would assume that moderators have lives outside THR, so a thread might grow to several pages of acrimony before pruning, providing a false sense of approval or "legitimacy" the topic or tone did not have.

I haven't been on THR as much as I used to for other reasons, and I generally only spent time in L&P on SCOTUS/Parker Vs. D.C. and CCW and RKBA issues concerning Wisconsin, so I'm not really able to provide an informed opinion about what's happening on THR right now.

Although, that I see among the names of the banned those who I believe I recognize as long-time THR contributors, and members claiming to be banned after only one moderator warning, (with which they claimed to comply) makes me somewhat apprehensive.

Although, just what I'm concerned about exactly, I don't know.  undecided
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2007, 08:45:10 AM »
I suggest a public posting of all who were banned along with a succinct statement of why.  Let's have some transparency in this peaceable kingdom.

I would suggest that this just die.  Seriously.  It's Olegs forum to run as seen fit.  The moderators answer only to god, so how can you question them, either?
 laugh
But seriously.......
I think that there is no need for that.  The mods dismantled L&P and a group of posters as they saw fit.  I personally think that they allow some morons to run amuk, while taking down people who disagree a little too loudly....but its thier board to run as they see fit.  The 1st amendment doesnt' apply.  Its a private board run by private citizens.  Don't like it?  I'm sure the DU forums have room for a few more....  grin
JD

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »
I propose a moratorium on posting how many posts you've made as some kind of measure of your value as a member.  G_nk_d, the most hated man on the internet, could rack up hundreds of posts in a day; yet I'm pretty sure all of you would likely agree his presence was not an asset to any board.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
I propose a moratorium on posting how many posts you've made as some kind of measure of your value as a member.  G_nk_d, the most hated man on the internet, could rack up hundreds of posts in a day; yet I'm pretty sure all of you would likely agree his presence was not an asset to any board.

Thanks for comparing me to gunkid.
JD

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »
I'd like to know who was banned, that's all.  Call it morbid curiosity if nothing else.  I've said before, in my own case, I don't really care "why."  I have a pretty good idea.  Then, as several have now said, who cares?  Maybe you'll come to care one of these days, maybe you won't.  The problem I see is the secrecy involved here.  I keep hearing it's a private forum with its own rules, etc.  No kidding.  But I also keep hearing that this is a "vision."  Napoleon had a vision too, folks.  So be it.  Deus vult.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »
Longeyes,
I've no idea why you got clubbed like a baby seal. 
My collection of warnings, reprimands, upbraidings, etc. far surpasses my gun collection in both numbers and variety.  I'm a member of the minority at THR (i.e. I am not a conservative, Xian, GOP-voting, Bush-loving, Iraq War-supporting gun owner) so almost every Hell & Pee thread I ever participated in meant I was in disagreement with most of the other participants.  I didn't always express myself the way that the stake-holders in THR desire us to and, as a result, I got smacked down.  I don't recall you being at the center of too many monkeyhouse shitfights.
With regard to comparing anybody to G_nk_d, don't read more into it than is there.  How much you post is no gauge of your worth as a member.  Remember C.R. Sam?  He was as laconic as they come.  He posted seldom and used telegraphic style when he did.  Yet, that man could say more of value in a couple sentences than most do in whole pages.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.