Author Topic: Trouble in Ukraine  (Read 65449 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Trouble in Ukraine
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
Confirmed she was shot. Guess the big red cross makes a good target.

Word is she survived and is going to be okay.
Hopefully you can view the page.  NBC websites have stopped working for me using IE11.  They work okay with Firefox.  From what I have read, NBC apparently "improved" the functionality of their network station websites.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
You could put your eye out, kid!

How fast and accurate is he?  Think remote detonator for a Molotov.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
http://instagram.com/p/kptza1t4FS/

Should be clickable now. Locally made Ukraine poster.

Also, map of Lenin statues torn down in the last 24 hours.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:23:06 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
Just a little black 'x' there.  What was it supposed to be, Balog?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
So...

Yanukovich offered to hold elections a month early, in exchange for Maidan disarming and identifying themselves. That was handily shot down, and an ultimatum has been issued that if Yanu doesn't leave office the protesters will start fighting back with weapons. I'm assuming the sub-text there is "old Soviet and WWII military arms on a wide scale" instead of the handful of guys with shotguns we've seen so far.

Yanukovich fled, but has not abdicated power.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
Entry to Zhulyany airport is blocked! All cars are being inspected! Activists have a checklist of persons who cannot leave the country.

Protesters are setting up checkpoints on entrance to Kyiv airports and other exits from the city. Just few hour ago, the Berkut arrived, but people took away their IDs and shields and let them go. Now they are making checklists to ensure that the Party of Regions members are not fleeing the country. All passengers are getting their documents checked. All cars are checked, including their trunks. In Kyiv, a real hunt on titushky, Berkut and ruling MPs is underway. All law enforcement bosses have vacated the center of the city. The streets are empty.

“We all have reached the crucial moment. We have given politicians the chance to become future ministers, presidents, and they do not want to meet our sole condition: that the ex-convict [acting president] be displaced!” said the man from the stage.“Friends, I do not want to be verbose. I do not want to engage in the same silly talks that we’ve been hearing for two and a half months. I do not trust the difficult political processes which they describe. Seventy-seven people have been killed, and they negotiate!” he added.

“I beg you: Support this suggestion. I tell you from my sotnya, where my father is with me: if by 10 a.m. tomorrow you do not demand Yanukovych’s resignation, we will go in with weapons. This I swear,” said the captain.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »
Entry to Zhulyany airport is blocked! All cars are being inspected! Activists have a checklist of persons who cannot leave the country.

Protesters are setting up checkpoints on entrance to Kyiv airports and other exits from the city. Just few hour ago, the Berkut arrived, but people took away their IDs and shields and let them go. Now they are making checklists to ensure that the Party of Regions members are not fleeing the country. All passengers are getting their documents checked. All cars are checked, including their trunks. In Kyiv, a real hunt on titushky, Berkut and ruling MPs is underway. All law enforcement bosses have vacated the center of the city. The streets are empty.

^^This is wrong.

If your enemy no longer wants to be part of your collective (such as country, state or city) then you let him go.  That door swings both ways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
they want em dead   its russia
that also cuts both ways
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
In settings other than Lord of the Rings leaving your enemies alive often does not work out well. "Yanukovich establishes government in exile in Russia, asks Putin to roll the tanks."

• friends
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
In settings other than Lord of the Rings leaving your enemies alive often does not work out well. "Yanukovich establishes government in exile in Russia, asks Putin to roll the tanks."

kill him and putin rolls in to restore order
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
kill him and putin rolls in to restore order

Jail him and Putin rolls in to restore order. Do anything other than become a Russian puppet state and Putin rolls in to restore order. About all they can do is maintain whatever legitimacy they can muster, nothing to be done to deter Putin.

I'd imagine they would jail him ala Tymoshenko.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »
Extended video of cops killing protesters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSvj8F_Br4M&app=desktop

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »
http://instagram.com/p/kptza1t4FS/

Should be clickable now. Locally made Ukraine poster.

Also, map of Lenin statues torn down in the last 24 hours.

It has been said several times on this board that the Ukranians hate the Soviets. If that is so, why are there even any Lenin statues in existance? One would think that all would have been torn down after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »
The ethnic Russians that were settled in the Sobiet era riot if you try to take them down.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2014, 01:56:46 AM »
More protesters getting killed.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=934_1393021284

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qSvj8F_Br4M

Watch the YouTube one starting at 12:00 or so. People keep trying to retrieve the wounded and getting shot down.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:16 AM »
Yea I noticed that. Old trick and it still works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »
Word is she survived and is going to be okay.
Hopefully you can view the page.  NBC websites have stopped working for me using IE11.  They work okay with Firefox.  From what I have read, NBC apparently "improved" the functionality of their network station websites.
Another update posted to the Lutheran forum I visit-
http://blogs.wels.net/missions/2014/02/21/update-from-ukraine/
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2014, 06:51:49 AM »
Interesting piece on the former prime minister released from prison comments are worth looking at
http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_02_23/Some-5-000-people-gather-in-Kiev-to-protest-Timoshenko-s-return-to-politics-9484/

• friends
Re:
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2014, 07:17:49 AM »
More background on the gas princess

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/23/yulia-tymoshenko-she-s-no-angel.html

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
Parsing a NYT article on what occurred to cause the Ukraine's pm to step down. 

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2014/02/what-just-happened.html

When something big happens, it's useful to read articles carefully for details before a Narrative hardens.

The following article from the New York Times is a little hard to follow because it tries to tie together several Ukrainian threads with a lot of taunting of overthrown president Yanukovych for being a L-O-S-E-R. But it sure sounds like the key event in the Ukraine last week was the "seizing of an Interior Ministry armory in the western city of Lviv and the transportation of those weapons to the outskirts of Kiev, the capital."

Other interesting points about the effectiveness of large numbers of indifferently-trained men (not particularly effective) and the reliance on smaller numbers of those naturally inclined to violence. 

Revdisk:
The author makes some claims about the Balkans and who did the fighting there.  Does that correspond with what you learned after the fact?  (Most the killing done by gangs/groups already inclined to violence and the vast majority of those under arms declining to get closely engaged with the enemy.)

More background on the gas princess

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/23/yulia-tymoshenko-she-s-no-angel.html

Was it here or someplace else that I read that in the Ukraine, the political climate is one of, "Your corruption bad, my corruption good."  FTR, Ukraine has Africa-levels of corruption.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »

Wednesday, the protestors seized an Interior Ministry armory and that night started moving weapons to Kiev.
Thursday, 80 protesters and an unknown number of riot police were killed.
Friday, the riot police that guarded Mr. Yanukovych left after he signed an agreement with a couple of opposition leaders. Said deal was dead as soon as the protestors learned of it. Individual protestor groups negotiated cease fire terms with individual police commanders. Most were willing to leave if granted safe passage. Mr. Yanukovych fled, and the protestors took the main govt buildings without incident.
Saturday, Mr. Yanukovych refused to step down or resign. Ms Tymoshenko declined consideration for leadership roles.
Monday, interrim govt issues arrest warrant to Mr. Yanukovych. Rumors are that he fled the country, or went to Sevastopol. It looks like border police stopped him from boarding a plane to Russia. Hardline police forces are also regrouping to Crimea. Pro-Russian militias are forming, motivated largely off Russian propaganda.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
This seems like an appropriate time and place to post this.  I stole the picture and modified someone else's comment from a a Michael Z. Williamson FB thread.

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
It is interesting to see how quickly every protester adopted helmet, gas mask, and goggles- there is a lesson there of some sort....

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
It is interesting to see how quickly every protester adopted helmet, gas mask, and goggles- there is a lesson there of some sort....

Fashion trends catch on quick.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »

They were fighting urban riot police and interior ministry troops. Tear gas, rubber rounds, live rounds, grenades, fire and dystopian urban landscapes are their threat environment. Makes perfect sense.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.