Author Topic: Hospitals are starting to use detailed consumer data  (Read 2078 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hospitals are starting to use detailed consumer data
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-26/hospitals-soon-see-donuts-to-cigarette-charges-for-health.html

You may soon get a call from your doctor if you’ve let your gym membership lapse, made a habit of picking up candy bars at the check-out counter or begin shopping at plus-sized stores.

All this courtesy of ObamaCare. 
Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare, hospital pay is becoming increasingly linked to quality metrics rather than the traditional fee-for-service model where hospitals were paid based on their numbers of tests or procedures.
As a result, the U.S. has begun levying fines against hospitals that have too many patients readmitted within a month, and rewarding hospitals that do well on a benchmark of clinical outcomes and patient surveys.

This has now encouraged me to use cash as much as possible for my transactions.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Hospitals are starting to use detailed consumer data
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
Looks like no more swiping the debit card at the bar or liquor store.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
Looks like no more swiping the debit card at the bar or liquor store.

Or the cigar store for the few times a year cigar that will apparently double my health insurance. Cash is king for vices. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »

I've been using cash for many years, near solely. Only time I use credit cards is for large ticket items of a mundane nature or where there is no alternative. I generally don't discuss why, but I'll toss it out there.

My concern was database trolling. Folks always love predictive indexes or other shortcuts, that crap out metric tons of false positives but people still love for some gods forsaken reason. I worked on some years ago, and never really liked them but imagined they'd become very popular. Which did happen, the new crap IT overhyped mess is "big data", even overshadowing the crap IT term of "cloud". My concern when I started wasn't what was happening then, but what could happen in the future. Not much good if you suddenly stop (actually, that might be considered a flag). So, I took a low footprint approach, betting that people don't do their homework, managers are lazy and folks impressed by shiny. So, I bet crap like predictive indexes for intel or counterintel purposes would become popular because it requires little work (just db feeds), looks shiny and the false positive problem would be overlooked.

While AFAIK, it has not been applied to domestic credit card data, it might someday. Or it might fall into the wrong hands. Or dozens of other hypothetical situations. Again, the problem is, you don't have to be doing anything wrong to look guilty, and all too often we have a guilty until proven innocent environment, even if just in the realm of public opinion or perception.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
My concern was database trolling. Folks always love predictive indexes or other shortcuts, that crap out metric tons of false positives but people still love for some gods forsaken reason.

I wonder how much my ex wife's divorce lawyer would pay for a ticker showing margarine consumption...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
I wonder how much my ex wife's divorce lawyer would pay for a ticker showing margarine consumption...

"Cook with butter and keep the marriage togutter!"

"The story about 'Why buy the cow if you get free milk' extends to other dairy products."

"O-le-o, oh no!"

"I'd like to know their margarine for error."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »

"I'd like to know their margarine for error."

Oh, two thumbs up for that!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
I would be curious how butter consumption fits into that.  Has butter consumption gone up to replace margarine or has it declined also?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
[/quote]

O-Care has this covered, too. Seems there's a provision for a barcode type symbol or "mark" as it were that will be placed on one's hand or head that can be scanned so that these details can be tracked in lieu of debit and credit cards.

JK but since nobody's read the whole thing, who's to say it isn't there.)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »

O-Care has this covered, too. Seems there's a provision for a barcode type symbol or "mark" as it were that will be placed on one's hand or head that can be scanned so that these details can be tracked in lieu of debit and credit cards.

JK but since nobody's read the whole thing, who's to say it isn't there.)

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »

<paranoia>O-Care has this covered, too. Seems there's a provision for a barcode type symbol or "mark" as it were that will be placed on one's hand or head that can be scanned so that these details can be tracked in lieu of debit and credit cards.</paranoia>

The Beast of the Apocalypse won't need a mark.  Biometrics, distributed database.  They'll "just know."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

Those colored spheres around her neck contain the souls of democrat representatives who needed extra cash last election.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
I would be curious how butter consumption fits into that.  Has butter consumption gone up to replace margarine or has it declined also?

Butter Makes Comeback as Margarine Loses Favor
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?