Author Topic: Texas Sues GA, MI, PA and WI in USSC  (Read 7065 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Texas Sues GA, MI, PA and WI in USSC
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 08:36:50 PM »
Those numbers are actually quite significant.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 03:13:13 AM »
SCOTUS has accepted the case and has given the defendant States until 3PM Thursday to respond. This just got a lot more interesting......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »
Even if SCOTUS overturns the results because the elections were in fact illegal per the Constitution, I strongly doubt the state legislatures will change the result.  Much more likely they will meet and confirm Biden and move on.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 08:13:51 AM »
Even if SCOTUS overturns the results because the elections were in fact illegal per the Constitution, I strongly doubt the state legislatures will change the result.  Much more likely they will meet and confirm Biden and move on.

That means the traitors have won and the social contract is broken beyond repair.

The Democrats are in bed with the Chinese and they attempted a soft coup against Trump for four years.

Using the word treason is not hyperbole but an accurate assessment.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 10:17:19 AM »
I had heard a few states would officially support the lawsuit.  17 is quite a bit.  Might not matter, but it might grab more attention.  I guess the impression the judicial branch is trying hard to ignore the whole thing and hope it goes away.  

The federal courts stick their nose in just about every part of our lives and our Govt these days.  I don't know why elections would be special. 

Perhaps because we are a common law nation vs. civil law?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 12:21:19 PM »

So the 4 states who are getting sued and whose legislatures are Republican and 2 of the 4 have asked to be called back into session wouldn't want to change the result?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »
Perhaps because we are a common law nation vs. civil law?
I take it back.  Leftist judges generally seem to have no issue deciding elections.  I am sure they will make up a good reason for whatever they do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »
So the 4 states who are getting sued and whose legislatures are Republican and 2 of the 4 have asked to be called back into session wouldn't want to change the result?
Want to?  Sure.
Willing to face the riots and violence from the terrorist arm of the Democratic party if they "change the popular vote" (whether that term is in fact accurate or not)?  I doubt it. 

I'm willing to be proven wrong, though.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2020, 12:33:23 PM »

Do they need a court ruling if that's really what they want to do? I understand it would provide some political cover, but that would still put quite a spotlight on them. I suppose at this point (already certified, after safe harbor date) they might, but they probably could have done more earlier if they were willing to.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
Want to?  Sure.
Willing to face the riots and violence from the terrorist arm of the Democratic party if they "change the popular vote" (whether that term is in fact accurate or not)?  I doubt it. 

If they are truly not willing to act out of fear of rioters, they ought to just resign.  That is pretty much against their oath of office.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
Want to?  Sure.

I have to agree. Right or wrong is way down the list here. They are deathly afraid of Portland being played out across the country. Sad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
I have to agree. Right or wrong is way down the list here. They are deathly afraid of Portland being played out across the country. Sad.

Let it play out in flyover country, I don't think the outcome would suit the democrats.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2020, 02:58:23 PM »
While it is really cool that Texas is taking this course with the help of so many other states, SCOTUS will likely punt on this case, as well.  They have no stomach for choosing who wins the election.
In addition, the conservative wing of the court is likely wanting to appease the Democrats in the hope they won't pack the court after January, 2021.  The Democrats have made it abundantly clear that is their intention, regardless of what the justices themselves desire.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
If they invalidate those states elections no one would have 270 and it would punt to the house.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »
If they invalidate those states elections no one would have 270 and it would punt to the house.

Correct. Invalidating the elections simply causes the existing legal process to play out. It's a matter of whether the elections are invalid as a matter of fact and law. Both fact and law seem pretty straightforward, so unless the court can come up with some real gymnastics... we'll see.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2020, 03:25:13 PM »
While it is really cool that Texas is taking this course with the help of so many other states, SCOTUS will likely punt on this case, as well.  They have no stomach for choosing who wins the election.
In addition, the conservative wing of the court is likely wanting to appease the Democrats in the hope they won't pack the court after January, 2021.  The Democrats have made it abundantly clear that is their intention, regardless of what the justices themselves desire.

I think if they were going to punt it, they would have.  Instead of requiring a response from the defendant States.

Speaking of.... it's 1530.  Did anyone see what the Defendant's response was?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:03:49 PM by dogmush »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »
It seems to me that lower level judges deciding the election already happened by allowing Governors/State Judges to change election laws/rules at the last minute.  The question is whether SCOTUS will invalidate that and push those state legislatures to act. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »

Might as well just get used to saying President Biden
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2020, 04:11:23 PM »
Might as well just get used to saying President Biden

If it goes to the House the thought among the pundits is it will almost certainly flip.  Each state only gets one vote, and [I'm told} there are more republican delegations in the house.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2020, 04:40:41 PM »
If it goes to the House the thought among the pundits is it will almost certainly flip.  Each state only gets one vote, and [I'm told} there are more republican delegations in the house.

Yes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2020/09/28/how-the-house-could-decide-the-presidential-election-electoral-college-tie-contingent-election/?sh=60d7b1f21bb6

A 269-269 Electoral College tie or other dispute that prevents the determination of a clear winner of the presidential election would result in a contingent election, in which it would be decided by the House of Representatives, while the vice presidential race is decided by the Senate, the 12th Amendment stipulates.

While each senator gets a vote for the vice president, the House vote is determined by state delegation rather than individual lawmaker—so each state, from Alaska’s one delegate to Texas’ 36 delegates, all only get one vote each.

Democrats have a majority in the House with individual lawmakers, but Republicans hold the majority of state delegations: 26 states have a GOP majority, 22 states have a Democratic majority, while there’s a tie in Pennsylvania and the Michigan delegation has seven Democrats, six Republicans and Independent Rep. Justin Amash.

ETA: even if the House votes to elect Biden, the Senate is almost certain to elect Pence for VP.  So if Biden resigns or is otherwise unable to fulfill his Presidential duties ...

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
Once this debacle is finally over, I hope The History Guy on YouTube does a video on it.

"The Presidential election of 2020. It was history ... that deserves to be remembered." [Adjusts bow tie]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »

ETA: even if the House votes to elect Biden, the Senate is almost certain to elect Pence for VP.  So if Biden resigns or is otherwise unable to fulfill his Presidential duties ...

That.
Would.
Be.
EPIC!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2020, 05:23:19 PM »

I didn't realize the Senate voted for VP.  This is my new favorite possible outcome.  Oh Gods, the lulz.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
I didn't realize the Senate voted for VP.  This is my new favorite possible outcome.  Oh Gods, the lulz.

Biden gets 25th'd before he can even swear in.  :P