Author Topic: Recess appointment of Merrick Garland?  (Read 1714 times)

dm1333

• friend
Recess appointment of Merrick Garland?
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
Just heard it on TV.  Seems like it would be a stupid move but I wouldn't put it past the man, especially after the last few weeks.   [popcorn]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Recess appointment of Merrick Garland?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
If it happened, Garland would have sightly less than a year on SCOTUS before he would have to step down for someone permanently appointed.  I doubt Obama would think it was worth it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
If he does a recess appointment, it will be someone awful like Eric Holder.  Or Himself.
"It's good, though..."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
If it happened, Garland would have sightly less than a year on SCOTUS before he would have to step down for someone permanently appointed.  I doubt Obama would think it was worth it.

You are right, the appointment would only be for the next session of the Senate.  As far as the bolded portion?  I think he is fully capable of making such a move.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
You are right, the appointment would only be for the next session of the Senate.  As far as the bolded portion?  I think he is fully capable of making such a move.

Yeah, he does seem to be leaning towards Scorched Earth mode.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:00:42 PM »
Yeah, he does seem to be leaning towards Scorched Earth mode.

I've kept my opinions of the CiC pretty much to myself but he is making it a bit difficult lately.   :laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
Yeah, no. See Noel Canning v. NLRB

And you'd want Obama to do that anyways, as it'd be easy to toss out Garland as well as open the slot for Trump to appoint a new chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
Just heard it on TV.  Seems like it would be a stupid move but I wouldn't put it past the man, especially after the last few weeks.   [popcorn]

If BHO didn't have stupid moves, he wouldn't have any moves at all.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 09:47:25 PM »
I thought recess appointments only last until the Senate officially confirms or denies the appointment.  All the new Senate would have to do it put the guy up for a vote and vote him down.  

Of course, I don't think recess appointments apply to SC nominations since they are not appointed.  The Constitution specifically requires Senate approval.  This isn't some federal agency created by Congress.  This is a branch of Government.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »
Talking head on TV said this could happen in the 5 minutes between adjournment of one session and the beginning of the next one.

Seems that one way to prevent this nonsense is for the Senate to - without any warning or announcement - change the timing of the switch from one session to another. So IF Obama makes an appointment at the scheduled time - it will NOT be a recess appointment, since the Senate will NOT be in recess. (An unannounced 10 minute tape delay on Senate proceedings might be another way to proceed.)

Case closed.

>:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 11:03:59 PM »
Of course, I don't think recess appointments apply to SC nominations since they are not appointed.

From Wikipedia:
Examples and use[edit]
Presidents since George Washington have made recess appointments. Washington appointed South Carolina judge John Rutledge as Chief Justice of the United States during a congressional recess in 1795. Because of Rutledge's political views and occasional mental illness, however, the Senate rejected his nomination, and Rutledge attempted suicide and resigned.

New Jersey judge William J. Brennan was appointed to the Supreme Court by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1956 by a recess appointment. This was done in part with an eye on the presidential campaign that year; Eisenhower was running for reelection, and his advisors thought it would be politically advantageous to place a northeastern Catholic on the court. Brennan was promptly confirmed when the Senate came back into session. Eisenhower, in a recess appointment, designated Charles W. Yost as United States Ambassador to Syria.[1] Eisenhower made two other recess appointments, Chief Justice Earl Warren and Associate Justice Potter Stewart.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 01:19:31 AM »
Maybe Obama could appoint Hillary as ambassador to Libya as his last gasp recess appointment
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 03:07:33 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland

On March 16, 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Garland to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, to fill the vacancy created by the death of Antonin Scalia. The Senate refused to hold a hearing or vote on this nomination made during the last year of Obama's presidency; insisting that the newly elected president should fill the vacancy. The refusal of Senate Republicans to consider the nomination has been a source of controversy among Senate Democrats.[1]

If you don't succeed at first....

The OP really made the hair on my neck stand up.  Year or no year, confirmation or no confirmation, one more anti on the Court and watch all the 2A cases that have been in limbo suddenly get certed and railroaded through another 5-4 Court. If they could wangle some obscure procedural way to do it, they'll try.

Me =  [tinfoil] <--  ???

The scorched earth policy remark seems appropriate.

So does the remark about keeping quiet about the CiC.

"Never trust a dedicated self-righteous individual." --Terry, 230RN

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:32:02 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
Obama might try it but the Dem leadership knows it isn't a battle worth fighting and should be telling him to not pick this battle.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
From Wikipedia:
Examples and use[edit]
Presidents since George Washington have made recess appointments. Washington appointed South Carolina judge John Rutledge as Chief Justice of the United States during a congressional recess in 1795. Because of Rutledge's political views and occasional mental illness, however, the Senate rejected his nomination, and Rutledge attempted suicide and resigned.

New Jersey judge William J. Brennan was appointed to the Supreme Court by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1956 by a recess appointment. This was done in part with an eye on the presidential campaign that year; Eisenhower was running for reelection, and his advisors thought it would be politically advantageous to place a northeastern Catholic on the court. Brennan was promptly confirmed when the Senate came back into session. Eisenhower, in a recess appointment, designated Charles W. Yost as United States Ambassador to Syria.[1] Eisenhower made two other recess appointments, Chief Justice Earl Warren and Associate Justice Potter Stewart.
Thanks for the correction. 

So my next question:  Would he serve out the whole year or only until the Senate voted?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
With a recess appointment he'd serve until the Senate went through its next recess.  That would be Jan 2018 unless the Senate got the House to agree on a recess before then.  Said recess could occur as early as the afternoon of January 20th, and could last mere seconds.  That would terminate Garlands term automatically.  From there a new SCOTUS nominee could be confirmed.
Formerly sumpnz

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the correction. 

So my next question:  Would he serve out the whole year or only until the Senate voted?

Yes. Whichever comes first.

That would only be applicable if no one sued under Noel Canning v. NLRB, of course. Which they would.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 09:11:37 PM »
Wasn't the recess today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
If he does a recess appointment, it will be someone awful like Eric Holder.  Or Himself.

How quickly do you think the Senate would convene to impeach him?

One former president, William Howard Taft, was appointed to the Supreme Court as chief justice after his presidential term.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
Chuck is going to "absolutely block" the president elect's Supreme Court nominee?

I think he's going to have to call Harry Reid and ask how he's going to be able to do that...

Edit in...

Uhm... Uh oh... This is from Politico...

"Though Senate Democrats acted unilaterally in 2013 to change confirmation rules for nearly all presidential nominations, they left the current 60-vote filibuster threshold for Supreme Court nominees intact."

"“It’s gonna be very hard for them to change the rules because there are a handful of Republicans who believe in the institution of the Senate.”

But, apparently, there were no Democrats who felt the same way in 2013...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.