Author Topic: Tisas Recall  (Read 569 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Tisas Recall
« on: February 01, 2024, 02:37:24 PM »
Recall of their 1911s initiated.

https://tisasusa.com/tisas-safety-recall-2024-0001/

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Tisas Recall
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 11:57:11 AM »
I wonder if this is the same problem I had with my NIB RIA 1911, which would double-pop.  It was so fast I didn't realize it was happening at first.  Tracked the problem down to some unpolished parting lines (seams) on the disconnector which interfered with its operation.  Polished them down with a Dremel tool and it was fine after that.  This was part 33 in the official government manual on the gun.

I guess the original JMB parts were machined, whereas this part was from the newer and "better" RIA stamping-out manufacturing process which left those parting line ridges.  They were small, but in a bad spot to leave "unchased" at the factory.

Dunno if that what it was with Tisas' guns, but just relating a possibly related incident.  I was never made aware of any recalls from RIA on it, but looking back, I think a couple of magazines of rounds would have worn those ridges down, thus curing the problem naturally.

Of course, it could just be a too-refined sear which is causing it.  Releasing the slide with the slide stop results in a double whammy inertia-wise.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 12:18:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 08:07:53 PM »
Mine isn't among the recalled.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 08:36:03 PM »
Mine isn't among the recalled.

Does yours work well otherwise?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 09:01:46 PM »

Does it work like a Turk?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 09:06:53 PM »
Does it work like a Turk?

That's nobody's business. But the Turks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 09:10:31 PM »
That's nobody's business. But the Turks.

The Turks I knew in college thought that song was great.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 09:15:59 PM »
The Turks I knew in college thought that song was great.

Hopefully the Four Lads version.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 09:57:52 PM »
Hopefully the Four Lads version.  =)

This was at a TMBG concert.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 09:53:29 AM »

Yes. But, it is a bit picky about magazines.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 04:10:26 AM »
Several things might cause persnicketyness in magazines.

Looseness in magazine well.

Magazine release not properly adjusted.

Magazine lips deformed:
https://www.usagunstash.com/store/brownells-1911-auto-magazine-lip-forming-tools-lip-forming-anvil-usa-brownells-gunsmith-handgun-magazine-tools.html
(That's for the 1911.  I'm sure they have others.)

Follower bad.  Compare the persnickety ones with known good ones... if you have any,

There are four ways a magazine spring can be inserted under the follower Try all four ways.  The hell with the ammo used in this testing.   If you're like me, you needed the practice anyway.

Bullet weight.  Sometimes it's telling to magic-marker the bullets to see where they're riding in feeding. (Same with the ramp itself.)

Feed ramp rough or just plain the wrong factory angle because of poor design.  (I had a Kel-Tec PF9 with this problem.)

This is not an exhaustive list.

It's like intermittent problems in any device.  Pain in the ass to diagnose.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 04:23:30 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 07:53:48 AM »
Yes. But, it is a bit picky about magazines.

I've found that most all my 1911 magazine related problems could be solved with Wilson Combat mags. I made them the standard for all my 1911s.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2024, 11:30:11 AM »
I've found that most all my 1911 magazine related problems could be solved with Wilson Combat mags. I made them the standard for all my 1911s.

Beggin' your pardon, but that's not solving the problem.  That's "bridge out ahead, take alternate route," as it were.  (Not a perfect simile.)

Terry, 230RN

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2024, 11:32:12 AM »
I'm guilty, decades ago I owned a Charles Daly commander size. Sold it to a pawn shop for $100, best deal I ever made. Since then i avoid 1911 clones coming from countries lacking a rich metallurgic tradition and modern quality control. Or you get what you pay for...

Through gun show trading I ended up in a few hours and about $300 in with a 1911, not A1 top that had been rebarreled and sighted for bullseye. Then came the Sistema bottom with a non desired .22 conversion on it. quickly sold the conversion, slapped the top on the bottom, Frankengun very reliable and accurate.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2024, 11:44:13 AM »
I don’t know the brand of magazines my Remington R1 1911 came with but the mags sucked. Much weaker springs than Wilson and would not reliability lift the heavy .45s into feeding position.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2024, 11:46:33 AM »
Beggin' your pardon, but that's not solving the problem.  That's "bridge out ahead, take alternate route," as it were.  (Not a perfect simile.)

Terry, 230RN

I guess you can call it that, but if it's the choice between dicking around with that whole list you gave, or just using Wilson mags and having them work in every 1911, I'll take the detour. If I have malfunctions with good mags, then I can look at taking the time to go down a checklist.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2024, 11:47:51 AM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2024, 12:12:29 PM »
"If I have malfunctions with good mags, then I can look at taking the time to go down a checklist."

Say whut, now?

Well, I just enjoy the logical detective work, as when I solved the double-tap problem with my NIB RIA 1911 noted above. Your motivationage may vary.

Terry, 230RN

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2024, 12:31:22 PM »
Magazine lips deformed:
https://www.usagunstash.com/store/brownells-1911-auto-magazine-lip-forming-tools-lip-forming-anvil-usa-brownells-gunsmith-handgun-magazine-tools.html
(That's for the 1911.  I'm sure they have others.)

Be VERY careful about that tool. That tool was designed specifically to convert magazines with the original USGI tapered feed lips into what has become known as "wadcutter" feed lips. Most 1911 magazines today are either already wadcutter profile (in which case this tool might help tune them up), or what has become known as "hybrid" feed lips (in which this tool is most likely to convert an unreliable magazine into a reliable paperweight). It won't tune up either USGI feed lips or hybrid feed lips.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2024, 12:36:14 PM »
I'm guilty, decades ago I owned a Charles Daly commander size. Sold it to a pawn shop for $100, best deal I ever made. Since then i avoid 1911 clones coming from countries lacking a rich metallurgic tradition and modern quality control. Or you get what you pay for...

Through gun show trading I ended up in a few hours and about $300 in with a 1911, not A1 top that had been rebarreled and sighted for bullseye. Then came the Sistema bottom with a non desired .22 conversion on it. quickly sold the conversion, slapped the top on the bottom, Frankengun very reliable and accurate.

Ay, caramba!

You just reminded me that, many years ago, I picked up a Sistema .22 conversion that I have never mounted on a frame and never test fired. I wonder if I even know where it is any more. I foresee some basement archeology in my future.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2024, 12:55:57 PM »
Be VERY careful about that tool. That tool was designed specifically to convert magazines with the original USGI tapered feed lips into what has become known as "wadcutter" feed lips. Most 1911 magazines today are either already wadcutter profile (in which case this tool might help tune them up), or what has become known as "hybrid" feed lips (in which this tool is most likely to convert an unreliable magazine into a reliable paperweight). It won't tune up either USGI feed lips or hybrid feed lips.

Good point worth remembering / researching, and thanks.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2024, 01:34:16 PM »
I can't find that anvil -- or the yoke that goes with it -- on Brownells' web site. I wonder if it has been discontinued. They have also dropped the plunger tube staking tool I have, although they show a different tool for the same job.