Author Topic: Comment on Proposed Regs on Suppressors, SBRs and NFA Trusts  (Read 1085 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Comment on Proposed Regs on Suppressors, SBRs and NFA Trusts
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »
www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/dean-weingarten/still-time-comment-proposed-regs-suppressors-sbr-nfa-trusts The comment period for the NFA trust issue ends on December 9th. TTAG is trying to get people to comment in our favor.

This Proposed Rule Document was issued by the ATF.

The linked TTAG article above has lots of good information. Here is the direct link to the comment area at www.regulations.gov Docket Detail ATF-2013-0001.

It is amazing how much stuff goes on at any time. Our government is so big that no one can keep track of even major parts of what it does, much less even try to have any real affect on what it does as a whole.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Comment on Proposed Regs on Suppressors, SBRs and NFA Trusts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »
OK, for the tl;dr folks, what is the skinny?

Also, not into NFA, but willing to leave a comment to help out that part of the gun-o-sphere.  Any talking points?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »
NFA items must be signed-off by the chief law enforcement officer in your area. If the CLEO won't sign, a legal Trust can be used to purchase the NFA item, no sign-off needed.  A Trust also makes for easy transfer/useage by trustees, which is especially useful after a death of one of the trustees.

The ATF (Obama) wants to change the trust rules to make each trustee get a background check, fingerprints, etc., making the trust no different from an individual ownership.

Bad idea. Bad law.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »
I would copy paste the comment from the TTAG article by Dean Weingarten.

The short version is that Obama has asked the ATF to get rid of NFA trust benefits. The trusts allow you to bypass getting permission from the local LEO chief, and the fingerprint card requirement. Trusts also allow friends, family, and any other person you put into the trust to posses the NFA item  when you are not present.

Key points: Arbitrary LEO may issue. Never has been a NFA related crime. The NFA application has a 6-9 month backlog, this change would double the workload and increase the backlog. Most tax stamps for NFA items are benign, barrel length, and sound mufflers. The current process is something criminals have never tried to use, and never will.

Edit to add: In related news HR3478 Knife Owners’ Protection Act of 2013 would allow people to travel with knives if they are legal where they started and are headed. Just like the FOPA of 1986.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:17:34 AM by DustinD »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi